Author Topic: [HAMR] Current thoughts on the record attempt?  (Read 252755 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: Current thoughts on the record attempt?
« Reply #1850 on: 08 January, 2016, 08:31:28 pm »
...Right now Steve is the official HAMR...

Has it been validated?

« Reply #1851 on: 08 January, 2016, 08:41:00 pm »
...Right now Steve is the official HAMR...

Has it been validated?

The paperwork is being processed. 

« Reply #1852 on: 08 January, 2016, 10:41:36 pm »
https://goo.gl/RBHtiS has now been updated to include Steve's latest plan, and a rolling average distance sheet and sheet.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #1853 on: 09 January, 2016, 03:55:12 am »
It's good to see a set of targets. Now comes the point where we say that we wouldn't have done it like that!

I wouldn't have done it like that. There's no way in this world I could sustain anything like it...
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #1854 on: 09 January, 2016, 06:14:34 am »
It's good to see a set of targets. Now comes the point where we say that we wouldn't have done it like that!

I wouldn't have done it like that.

;D ;D

hillbilly

« Reply #1855 on: 09 January, 2016, 08:21:43 am »
I think I would have been happier not knowing Steve's new schedule. It has strained my credulity to breaking point. I'm not going to comment on Steve's attempt any more, as I've nothing meaningful to say.

« Reply #1856 on: 09 January, 2016, 09:43:26 am »
I think I would have been happier not knowing Steve's new schedule.
There is no schedule as far as I'm concerned, it's an illusion, it doesn't exist - he just has ride as many miles each day as is physically possible to stand any chance whatsoever. If the schedule says 205 then it's irrelevant because he needs 215, because there will be day us when something will get in the way - mainly the weather. He has to gain miles now and not lose them. One mile a day will do. Physically, I suppose it's possible, but he's still only human, not superman - although some people seem to think he is.       

Record or no record, I couldn't care less what it takes, however seemingly heroic it might be, big deal, for me [FWIW], I'm not happy encouraging somebody go into areas that I have a gut feeling they can't sustain. It's irresponsible as far as I'm concerned. Over this amount of time, it's got to sustained and it's got to be manageable - somebody's just proved the fact. We've all been watching it. It won't be long before Steve's in fantasy land. I just hope either he or members of the team won't allow him to push too far into that. His grit, determination and resilience is beyond question, and on those grounds I'd wager cash on him over most others any day of the week, but he's not quick enough in this endeavour. And that's sad to see, but true.
[/quote]

I'm not going to comment on Steve's attempt any more, as I've nothing meaningful to say.

Same here.

Garry Broad

« Reply #1857 on: 09 January, 2016, 11:14:20 am »
Headwind and hassles that ate my riding time leave me with some catching up to do!

184 miles posted yesterday on Strava with that comment...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1858 on: 09 January, 2016, 11:26:17 am »
Steve has some bloody irritating habits. He's currently on a favourite route SW that usually takes him to Cirencester. Thing is, he passes about 40mins riding time from me. This is slightly too far away to be a quick pop-out ride to try to intercept him, especially when you add in the likelihood that I'll miss him anyway.

If I had 2 hours notice of his exact route it would be ideal for a spot of roadside cheering. Curse him!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #1859 on: 09 January, 2016, 11:26:47 am »
Blimey, just looked at the posts on the latter part of this thread.

I suppose the thread title prompts people to air their personal opinions but I can't help feeling what has been posted says more about the posters than it does about Steve's attempt.

Allez Steve!

May good luck and good days awheel be enjoyed in 2016, whatever the outcome of this epic challenge.

H

« Reply #1860 on: 09 January, 2016, 11:54:47 am »

Allez Steve!

May good luck and good days awheel be enjoyed in 2016, whatever the outcome of this epic challenge.

H
[/quote]

PLUS ONE

« Reply #1861 on: 09 January, 2016, 01:11:45 pm »
The large step changes up until May seem to make the task even more difficult.

Why not plan for one extra mile or two per day? 

Also can't quite fathom the lower summer mileages, but I suppose there must be a reason?

Keep plugging away nevertheless, Steve.

red marley

« Reply #1862 on: 09 January, 2016, 01:20:37 pm »
Steve's new schedule is now displayable on http://gicentre.org/oytt/

Given the constraint of beating the record by a comfortable amount (to allow for contingencies), it looks right to me. A seasonal sine wave that maps his progress so far and minimises body-destroying Tommy miles in the summer.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1863 on: 09 January, 2016, 01:38:54 pm »
Steve has some bloody irritating habits. He's currently on a favourite route SW that usually takes him to Cirencester. Thing is, he passes about 40mins riding time from me. This is slightly too far away to be a quick pop-out ride to try to intercept him, especially when you add in the likelihood that I'll miss him anyway.

If I had 2 hours notice of his exact route it would be ideal for a spot of roadside cheering. Curse him!

I tried that sometime last year. With a very intermittent phone signal, it was very difficult to keep tabs on where he was. After a couple of hours rushing around north Essex trying to find him, I gave up. Checking on Strava later, I got within a couple of hundred yards of him with a good overtake, but he pulled a Crazy Ivan down some favourite back lane and the intercept was denied. Curse him!

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #1864 on: 09 January, 2016, 03:22:04 pm »
I am probably missing something but on the HAMR spreadsheet they have a total for Steve to 31 December (inclusive) of 26,918.5 miles.

The revised schedule on Steve's website for those months (8 Aug - 31 Dec) totals 27,860.5 miles.

Nearly 1,000 miles difference, and not in Steve's favour. Which means more 4.3 more miles per day (averaged out from 1 Jan- 7 Aug) if the HAMR spreadsheet figure is the one the attempt will be judged by, and a total of 50,231 from 1 Jan not 49,289 as the revised schedule is 942 miles short.

So per the new schedule the total will be 76,207.50 not 77,149.50.

Tarzan, if he rides 220 today as he has said he wants to, will total 76,066.

Hopefully someone will come along in a minute and tell me my maths is rubbish.
Mojo is being awakened.

red marley

« Reply #1865 on: 09 January, 2016, 03:56:22 pm »
Which spreadsheet are you referring to? Rather confusingly UMCA provide two, and the official one hasn't yet been formally released to the end of 2015. I am pretty confident that the official total for Steve's second attempt will be within 10 miles of 27,869 (which is my calculated total for the Aug 8-Dec 31st that corresponds with the official figures we have so far).

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #1866 on: 09 January, 2016, 03:59:20 pm »
26,918.5 comes from the daily spreadsheet which should only be considered a guide.  The official results are definitive but even the latest of that has 3 days still marked as pending.

I expect there will be an update to the official results this week, that should resolve things.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #1867 on: 09 January, 2016, 04:00:35 pm »
Mojo is being awakened.

« Reply #1868 on: 09 January, 2016, 04:13:16 pm »
Ok, thanks.

Jo, it is this one http://ultracycling.com/sections/records/data/hamr/spreadsheet.php

The same site has Steve's target to tie with Godwin as 222.08 miles per day, while Jo has the target as 216.5 miles per day.

Which illustrates why Kurt was wise to aim for a comprehensive overshoot.

Even if his total is officially tinkered with, there can be no doubt he is the record holder.

« Reply #1869 on: 09 January, 2016, 07:03:00 pm »
I think I would have been happier not knowing Steve's new schedule. It has strained my credulity to breaking point. I'm not going to comment on Steve's attempt any more, as I've nothing meaningful to say.
Plus 1

« Reply #1870 on: 09 January, 2016, 09:33:02 pm »
I am quite certain that Steve will beat his first years mileage.  Was it Matt  (or Hillbilly? ) who posted he would have to average 169 mls a day till August. Obviously with luck and tail winds plus support  (if Steve would accept ) better things could be possible.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1871 on: 10 January, 2016, 12:18:35 am »
From Facebook. A picture says a 1000 words.

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #1872 on: 10 January, 2016, 10:34:22 am »
From Facebook. A picture says a 1000 words.

:thumbsup:

Hardly an image of a man in the doldrums, racked with self-doubt and despair, is it.

Allez Steve!

H

« Reply #1873 on: 10 January, 2016, 12:48:59 pm »
While lots of us here have spent a lot of time on the what-ifs, I don’t think even the most negative of posters has suggested that there is any self-doubt on Steve’s part.

Now that Kurt has finished, his achievement highlights the enormity of what Godwin accomplished: Kurt didn’t beat Godwin by that much really. Kurt’s total is also a reminder that if it hadn’t been for his leg injury and recovery, Steve’s total for the year would have been up there with Godiwn and Kurt.

The fact that exceeding the record remains within Steve’s reach and capability means that this thread has a long way to go.

« Reply #1874 on: 10 January, 2016, 01:56:22 pm »
While lots of us here have spent a lot of time on the what-ifs, I don’t

The fact that exceeding the record remains within Steve’s reach and capability means that this thread has a long way to go.

Yes indeed, and I look forward to reading views from all of you