Author Topic: My darling bit me  (Read 2051 times)

mtrike

• aka action barbie
My darling bit me
« on: 28 June, 2009, 05:15:31 pm »
I was riding downhill when the right hand bend with a negative camber loomed.    Leaning out until my backside scraped the ground the trike was still tipping but I braked as understeer was only going to take me across a grass verge and into a pub car park.  But there was a deep hidden drainage ditch which I couldn't see but the drive wheel found.   The trike immediately capsized and I learned to fly.  From the injury pattern I landed heavily on my back then slid a bit on the bony and now skinless bits and came to rest when my head hit the stone gate post of the car park.  Fortunately the helmet took the impact as it is badly smashed up.  The Garmin track shows 15mph at point of impact!  The doesn't seem to be anything too wrong with me apart from stiffness and bruising and a sudden liking for ibuprofen but I fly back to Jersey at 0600 tomorrow and I suspect the journey may be a bit uncomfortable.  The drive wheel is partly crisped but looks as if it will true up unfortunately I won't be coming back until three days before the first audax I was going to ride on it so may not be able to fix it in time (day one will a 200k audax on the bike).

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
Re: My darling bit me
« Reply #1 on: 28 June, 2009, 05:21:53 pm »
Oh no, not another one. GWS MT.

gordon taylor

« Reply #2 on: 28 June, 2009, 07:33:16 pm »
Ouch!

GWS

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #3 on: 28 June, 2009, 08:22:01 pm »
Downhill off-camber corners - not nice on two wheels, decidedly unpleasant on three (even recumbent ones).

Hope rider and machine are back to normal soon.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 29 June, 2009, 08:54:24 am »
Oh heck.  It's becoming quite a trend, isn't it.  Hope you GWS and your journey isn't too uncomfortable.
Getting there...

« Reply #5 on: 01 July, 2009, 11:04:08 pm »
Mtrike,

Sorry to hear about the accident. GWS

Are you around this Sunday 5th July  to coach me round the Tour de Jersey on my tricycle? I think I am up for it and it will be my first long ride on the Longstaff. I believer there are at least 7 negative camber corners on downhills that could total me but I would like to go for it nonetheless. [there is an 80k ride this sunday in Jersey - About Us | Tour de Jersey]

I would pm you but I wanted to thank you for your words of advice about riding tricycles. I have taken it to heart, especially the bit about understeer and negative cambers!!!

As discussed, I have given up on LEL because of the gout (!) so i was thinking that I could condense the pain of 1400kms into 80ks of tricycing riding round Jersey's coastline.

Are you on for that?

Innermoss.

mtrike

• aka action barbie
« Reply #6 on: 02 July, 2009, 08:31:57 pm »
I'm still not able to ride because of the damage to my back and ribs but should  ok for Sunday.  Name a time and place and I'll ride over to meet you.  I won't be able to start much before 10 as it is my wifes birthday and I need to ring her first.  I also have a GPX of a 52 mile round the island ride including all the bays (except Fliquet) which I can e-mail.
I have every respect for you triking on the island the hills are going to be taxing both up and down some are steep enough to make the camberl irrelevant!

Mike

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #7 on: 02 July, 2009, 08:39:34 pm »
Ah, but uphills are one of the joys of triking - no weaving all over the road, go as slow as you like, stop and have a breather half way up.  Although admittedly the more athletically inclined would sneer at such benefits.

mtrike

• aka action barbie
« Reply #8 on: 02 July, 2009, 08:43:31 pm »
I misread the details re the date of the ride. So I'll have to get up early to get to the start and ride around with you. I may have to walk up the worst hills though however 1200mgs of ibuprofen might get me around!

« Reply #9 on: 03 July, 2009, 12:06:17 pm »
Mtrike

excellent - I am aiming to be at the communicare start at around 0830 just get my form plus fee in.

we'll make quite a pair - you the cycling wounded and me with my incipient gout - ibuprofen all round.

I think you will be impressed at how slow I will be going downhill!

Warren

mtrike

• aka action barbie
« Reply #10 on: 03 July, 2009, 08:38:12 pm »
I have already entered on line and got a gpx route from the organiser - they have now posted this on their web site.   I'll be there about 8.45.  My improvement is slow and I can't honk and have some internal bruising so thought I would wear the audax jersey so everyone can snigger when I get off to walk. There may also be an amount of whimpering.   Looking at the route the big challenges on the trike will be L'etaq , but you don't need me to tell you that and down hill  it will be as you go round the righthand downhill -ve camber onto the one way at St Catherines ie the one that if you get it wrong will take you down the 45% potato field.

« Reply #11 on: 03 July, 2009, 11:11:29 pm »
Mtrike,

yeah, I have been running through my mental map of the possible downhill corners. The 45% potato field at St Catherine's is an obvious contender.

The other ones for me in the order we will do them are:

- right turn out of the communicare centre right at the start! It will be in front of loads of people and sod's law will kick in.
- Corbiere lighthouse, right turn immediately after initial descent.
- la pulente 90 deg right at beach, loads of diesel and camber.
- l'etacq, possibly at stinky bay prior to climb but I think the left turn right at the top of the hill could be tricky if people are fannying about in my way and i have to swerve.
- st peter's valley descent should be ok.
- bonne nuit: this is the tricky one - right turn at the bottom of the 1:5 descent has to be tricky
- Gorey village , left turn descending into harbour

By this time I will probably be knackered so that will make the descent over the fort regent ridge a bit interesting.

Can't wait!!!

See you on Sunday.

Innermoss11