Author Topic: Another happy tailboxer  (Read 2355 times)

Arno

• Arno
Another happy tailboxer
« on: 06 August, 2009, 11:14:22 pm »
Using the advice on this forum, I finally
obtained and fitted a novosport glass-fibre tailbox on the Performer....
The aerodynamic speed-gain is significant... and makes me feel like I suddenly became fit.
Cycling with this thing on is a real joy.... I recon average speed gain of 2km/hr.

Here are the pics.

Arnaud.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
Re: Another happy tailboxer
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2009, 12:17:27 pm »
Beautiful. I got similar speed gains out of an Angletech fabric box on the back of the Furai, but its nowhere near as pretty as yours. Love that shot of the back.
Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US

« Reply #2 on: 07 August, 2009, 12:40:22 pm »
I often wonder if a similar design could be put together for a rack top bag for an upright bike (Iknow - heresy!), but I use a Carradice saddlebag tucked in tight and low behind the seat pin. It appears to be a similar width and height to that box...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3 on: 07 August, 2009, 01:25:09 pm »
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Arno

• Arno
« Reply #4 on: 07 August, 2009, 08:52:54 pm »
Beautiful. I got similar speed gains out of an Angletech fabric box on the back of the Furai, but its nowhere near as pretty as yours. Love that shot of the back.

Thanks, on the down side, that think does make a bit of a racket (things in it tend to rattle). Harder to do stealthy overtakes if the tarmac isn't super-smooth.

« Reply #5 on: 08 August, 2009, 07:34:11 am »
Lovely!!

Tailboxes are the dog's particulars, amongst the very best and most important bike accessories IMO.  So many benefits, extra speed, usually better looks, better aerodynamics, and place to put advertising.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #6 on: 08 August, 2009, 09:02:12 pm »
When I put one on my Toxy it suddenly got a lot easier to pedal.  My KC had one and although it was heavier  than my Speed Ross and not so stiff on hills it was definitely faster on the flat.

Interesting bike - is it an M5 of some sort?

Arno

• Arno
« Reply #7 on: 08 August, 2009, 09:25:18 pm »
Is it an M5 of some sort?
Performer is the name of a Taiwanese maker. They have their own design (which may or may not be inspired from existing stuff)...
As there does not currently appear to be a UK importer, got this one via Pulsar Cycles in Paris.

Tiger

« Reply #8 on: 11 August, 2009, 05:54:43 pm »
Yay for tailboxes - same effect as about 6 weeks down the gym.  Brill. Regret my own blew over in the wind though and is now a very bashed up carbon box.