Author Topic: Your bike camping kit  (Read 134238 times)

Re: Your bike camping kit
« Reply #100 on: 11 November, 2017, 06:11:14 pm »
Just the meths stove to get then  :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #101 on: 11 November, 2017, 06:30:20 pm »
Just the meths stove to get then  :thumbsup:

Ah! i have an old (20+ year old) triangia copy and an alluminium (MSR ?) fuel bottle with screw top, but not sure I would want to cook. I like a coffee in the morning etc, but all  the faff of cooking, not sure. Ah that's 'thread worthy'. :thumbsup:

« Reply #102 on: 13 February, 2018, 02:44:02 pm »
I've too much camping kit :-[

For summer (well roughly May to late September depending on what the weather's doing)

Mat: Exped Winterlite Synmat
Bag: Cumulus 150 quilt
Tarp: Alpkit Rig3.5 + poles and pegs.
Cooking: Home made meths stove with an Alpkit 600ml mug

I might add

Bivy bag: Borah Gear lightweight bivy - this has an inbuilt midge net and has a pullout to hang from the underside of the tarp.

That lot's about 1.5kg, if I want to go ultra light then I've a cuben fibre tarp and bivy bag and a lighter mat and the weight drops to 900g but that's pretty minimalist.

If my wife is with me then the tarp gets upgraded to an Alpkit Rig7 - the smaller one is OK but it's a bit of a squeeze! Once we get to the colder months then I'll add a PHD Minim 200 sleeping bag and use it in conjunction with the quilt. I've also got a Terra Nova Lasercomp but now that I use the Exped mat there's not a lot of room in there - with Karrimats we could both kip in it if we slept end to end.

« Reply #103 on: 21 March, 2018, 08:09:11 am »
I'm new here.   I did a bit of camping last year but intend a bit more this year.   I ride a Brompton.   I have found that if I bag the bike and take a Rucksack and the big front bag, they let me on the buses so can start far from home.   I consider myself a Gentleman camper.  Even on a day out I carry my stove (Jetboil Flash), for hot drinks, my frying pan and my 1 KG chair.  I am a young 63 so comfort is important.
I carry a rucksack on the back of the boke with the restof the camping geat.  Tent is MSR Elixier 2 a trifle heavy but lots pf space.  Sleeping bag is a small Snugpack Travel Pack 2.   I have tested this and it is good for me  down to 3 deg C and packs small.   Sleeping mat is Decatthon air bed very small adain cheap but a bit heavy at 0.5kg.   Titanium mugs and spork and hand crochet mug cosies.    Hope to learn a bit more hete.

Cheers  Brian.

« Reply #104 on: 21 March, 2018, 08:53:28 am »
Welcome, Brian  :)

I like the sound of the crocheted mug cosies!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #105 on: 23 March, 2018, 02:24:33 pm »
So what do you do when you have a bad cold and can't do anything?   Answer look at too many cycling blogs.   So I have decided that as my last aluminium water bottle died,  its fallen out lots of times got dinted and  final corroded through and leaked into my bag.    So I I look at what the hardcore do, they use standard lemonade bottles.   As I have now ruined 2 metal bottles in about a year its time to try a 79p Lucazade bottle.   NOT becuse its cheap of course,  but to save about 3 to 4 oz  (75 to 100 grms)  ;-).    Plus I have to save the weight as I replace my unsued (for about 4 years) terciary lighting backup for the Jetboil :-  its own lighter, disposable lighter and finaly flint and steel).  In addition I may need to carry Lard.   I have a Jetboil frying pan.   Its been a pain, always burning despite conditioning.   However re-reading and putting a tin cap domed down to stop the hot spot and ising Lard to condition the surface I cooked an egg as if it was a non-stick pan.   Then tried bacon with cooking oil and it failed.  So next attempt with the pan conditione again, is bacon with LARD to fry.  Apprently LARD is now back in the "good" books.   Sad fact I have spent way too much time on KIT I think that is almost more of the atttraction then the actual cycle camping.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #106 on: 26 March, 2018, 07:45:40 pm »
I'm new here.   I did a bit of camping last year but intend a bit more this year.   I ride a Brompton.   I have found that if I bag the bike and take a Rucksack and the big front bag, they let me on the buses so can start far from home.   I consider myself a Gentleman camper.  Even on a day out I carry my stove (Jetboil Flash), for hot drinks, my frying pan and my 1 KG chair.  I am a young 63 so comfort is important.
I carry a rucksack on the back of the boke with the restof the camping geat.  Tent is MSR Elixier 2 a trifle heavy but lots pf space.  Sleeping bag is a small Snugpack Travel Pack 2.   I have tested this and it is good for me  down to 3 deg C and packs small.   Sleeping mat is Decatthon air bed very small adain cheap but a bit heavy at 0.5kg.   Titanium mugs and spork and hand crochet mug cosies.    Hope to learn a bit more hete.

I have done a fair amount of touring on a Brompton, my setup on the bike looks like this:

The above photo I was wild camping in a bivvi in the Benelux, but I've also used a full size tent with it too:

The first trip I took the bike on a train, a ferry, a bus, a train, a train, and then rode it... For the second photo to get there I did, tram, train, train, bus, ride, ferry, ride, train, *sleep*, train, ride, train, train, ferry, ride, lift in a car.

Brompton's are great...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #107 on: 29 April, 2018, 03:07:39 am »

« Reply #108 on: 15 May, 2018, 11:33:55 pm »
quixoticgeek, sorry for a slow reply. great kit.  This is my latest set up.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56805875@N03/26900647127/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56805875@N03/26900646457/in/dateposted-public/

Ah, the infamous wooden dowel and backpack approach. I really must try this on my Brommie, I already have a suitable backpack, but with my DIY ineptitude I haven't quite figured out how to create the dowel support - do you have some close-up photos of your contraption, so that I can see how it's done? I have a Brooks B17 on mine if it makes any difference.
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #109 on: 17 May, 2018, 09:01:05 am »
A cut up  wooden broom handel works , you need to set it up so its just a bit longer than the straps 0n your bag when they are either side of the saddle.   I use 5mm wide cable ties to hold it in place using the eyes on the back seat.

« Reply #110 on: 17 May, 2018, 03:36:58 pm »
First bike camping trip for me last weekend.

Tent: Araer 2 person.
Basically a cheap ripoff of an MSR Hubba Hubba. Packs fairly small and weighs 1900g. It held up pretty well in the wind we had at the weekend too. There was quite a bit condensation on the inner of the fly but we camped beside a river and it was cold and damp so I'll forgive it that. Aside from the fact it's bright yellow and bugs seem to love it, I'm quite pleased with it for £50.

Bag: Snugpak Travelpak 3.
I think the -3c comfort rating might be wildly optimistic. Just started to feel a slight chill on my upper half and although it was unseasonably cold, it was nowhere near freezing.

Mat: Karrimor/Gelert Z sleepmat.
Another cheap ripoff, this time of a Thermarest Zlite. Bulky, but light, comfortable and warm. This will be the first thing I replace though. Can't deal with the bulk.

Stove: BSR 300t
Tiny tiny little stove. Quite like this too, but it is very susceptible to the slightest breeze, so a windscreen is a must. I made one from an oven liner which works a treat. There have been reports of the legs bending on some of these if you run it full blast with a heavy pot for more than 15 minutes. Boils 750ml in about 6 minutes though, so fine for solo camping. 25g and a tenner.

Cookset: Stanley Adventure cookset, Tatonka stainless mug, cheap foldable spork.
Love this set up. The Stanley pot nests inside the mug, with small fuel canister, stove, spork, salt & pepper, tea bags etc nesting inside the pot. The lid of the pot fits the mug too, handy for boiling enough for a cuppa.

« Reply #111 on: 30 May, 2018, 09:45:26 am »
Tent: Hilleberg Akto: Saunders Jetpacker: Army surplus bivvy bag: Golite Shangri La chinese copy

Mat: Thermarest crisp bag, thermarest foam, soon to have Naturehike built in pillow allieexpress jobbie

Bag: Winter Haglofs dpwn; Spring Golite down: Summer Mont Bell twist down & soon a Aegismax alieexpress down

Stove: 22 years with a pocket rocket

look down from t' hills across a land traversed..having known at least a route through, and written it in body and ascribed the mind to its ways

« Reply #112 on: 21 April, 2019, 10:00:49 am »
When I'm travelling solo:

Vango Force 10 Helium 1
Exped Synmant
2 season Deuter down bag or 3 season Alpkit down bag
Trangia Triangle meths stove with foil windshield from an old Whisperlite
MSR titanium kettle and titanium spoon

When travelling in a pair with wife or pal:

Wild Country Duolite Tourer (the one with the huge porch)
Trangia 27

I also bought the ordinary Duolite fly for the Wild Country tent so I have a lighter smaller version of this one for backpacking or travelling solo with the luxury of more room than the Force Ten offers. Unfortunately I think this is no longer available which is a shame as it was ideal for cycle touring for two.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #113 on: 21 April, 2019, 04:51:19 pm »
Not mine, but that of Koen, a Belgian I met in 2016 (3 times in Norway and later in Estonia). Since then he's spent winter in France and Spain, done a South American end-to-end, and is currently on an extended tour of Australia. His touring blog goes back to 2004, although he has on occasion taken time off to earn money and live in a house.

His detailed packing list for Australia can be found here.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

chopstick

• aka "freiston" in other places
« Reply #114 on: 04 November, 2021, 10:13:14 pm »
It's an old thread but I've enjoyed reading it and thought I ought to contribute.

Tent:       Vango Mirage Pro 200   (3.02kg)
Mat:        Multimat Adventure 38   (835g)
Bag:       Berghaus Intrepid 700   (0.74kg)   Summer
               Vango Ultralite Pro 300  (1.35kg)   Winter
Stove:    Trangia

It's not lightweight! The tent, mat and sleeping bags are pretty much good for anything I'll do in the UK at any time of the year (and, relatively speaking, they' weren't expensive).

I have a Duosal Trangia 25 and 27 plus a few other pieces (kettles, plate etc.) with both a spirit and a gas burner and a pot cosy.  I take whatever takes my fancy.  If I'm planning on doing "proper" cooking, I take the 25.

I've had a tarp for a while and recently I bought an ex army bivvy bag and I hope to make use of them when the weather gets better next year.  Funds are short but I fancy having a go at making a fly-sheet style walking pole tent with an optional mozzie-net inner.  At the moment it is only a fancy.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #115 on: 05 November, 2021, 09:37:36 am »
Where are you based chopstick?

chopstick

« Reply #116 on: 05 November, 2021, 11:06:47 pm »
Midlands - Coventry

Oscar's dad

« Reply #117 on: 06 November, 2021, 04:40:54 pm »
Midlands - Coventry

If you fancy some winter camping and more besides, and you can get down to mid-Essex, there's always THIS!  :thumbsup:

chopstick

« Reply #118 on: 06 November, 2021, 10:56:13 pm »
Thank you very much for the invite but I don't think I will be able to make it.  I will keep an eye out for future events though  :D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #119 on: 07 November, 2021, 08:20:27 am »
Thank you very much for the invite but I don't think I will be able to make it.  I will keep an eye out for future events though  :D

No problem.