Author Topic: Sam Weller's day trip to Wochma - 200k - Tewkesbury - Saturday February 6th.  (Read 12136 times)

Have never DNS'd before but these conditions look a bit too much for me to consider the day a fun experience (we are meant to enjoy it, aren't we?).

Have e-mailed Mark to let him know - don't think I'll be the last.

But the senseless guilt I feel.....where does that come from?

You've got nothing to worry about Pete.

Proper guilt is DNF'ing with some mechanical issues after just 17 miles, limping back to Tewkesbury, driving home to Malmesbury, then going into town this afternoon and seeing riders outside of the Summer Cafe control whom I'd ridden with earlier. 

The Severn Bridge was moving alot  :sick:
Eddington Number 75

retro

• real name Gerry
I hope and trust everybody got back safe and well and like to thank Mark for his efforts. I'm impressed with all you guys and gals for fitness/mental strength - really impressed.

Really good to meet James and Oliver two really friendly and fit guys who helped this newbie around.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
I hope and trust everybody got back safe and well and like to thank Mark for his efforts. I'm impressed with all you guys and gals for fitness/mental strength - really impressed.

Really good to meet James and Oliver two really friendly and fit guys who helped this newby around.

You needed no help from us! But very glad to have met you.

And thanks for organising the 200km long bike wash and blow dry facilities Mark. It was fun :) See you in April

James
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

I have just heard that the Severn Bridge has now been CLOSED because of the winds  :o

It was closed in the Eastbound direction ony when several of us passed over early afternoon. No problems for bicycles though at least until near the Eastern end of the bridge where the wind seemed to appear very suddenly and very strongly.

A very wet and windy day no doubt about it. I don't believe it stopped raining for more than a few minutes for the 16 odd hours of my extended ride. The only comparable ride in my memory was the infamous Irish Mail of (I think) 2007. Still, it wasn't really cold at any time provided you kept moving. I did get a bit cold at the finish and also when fixing a puncture.

Thanks very much to Mark for continuing to treat us with this excellent series of rides.

Wel done to Joolz on his return to Audax; you were unlucky with the conditions but you obviously still have the required fitness and grit.

A really good day out - mainly for the company. Joolz's first calendar event in about 18 months after an accident which, somehow, I hadn't heard about. The two of us rode nearly all the way round with two other guys but in true audax fashion we didn't introduce ourselves.

Following Mikey across the Severn Bridge was interesting! Bikes aren't meant to be ridden at that angle but I guess I looked the same to the person behind me.

However probably the most exciting part was Joolz completely losing his brakes on the descent after Birdlip. The rest of the ride was very cautious.

Thanks to Mark for a pleasant route, warm welcome back and entertaining and memorable weather. A classic in the mould of BC 2003, BCM 2009

Tony

No one's mentioned the floods / fords! Especially the one to be discovered in the dark. Six in all? I think I may also have Mike to thank for a quick tip that saved my day -- a cable tie to make a rear derailleur with snapped cable serviceable again. (And I now have even more respect for the mad folk who ride single-speed.)

Thanks Mark for another great ride, there were times we rode for over an hour without encountering a car, bliss..... all the controls were exemplary, quick and efficient and as always weather guaranteed!

As usual, weather not as bad as predicted, it was wet but if you were dressed for the occasion  this was not a problem, it was windy but I never felt as risk except the for the final section of the Severn Bridge which could have been walked if required. It wasn’t cold unless you didn’t have the right amount of layers on for your needs.

Stage one was on the whole shielded from the wind by hedgerow
Stage two was tougher, the Wye Valley was shielded so it was only the section from Alensmore to Monmouth that was challenging, however you were shielded during the climbs and there were a few of those including the infamous Llancloudy that was a lot easier than I remember during the final leg of the BCM
Stage three was fine, the wind was slightly behind you for the majority of the stage
Stage four was excellent, the fabled tailwind carried us back to arrive with little effort

It was great to see the usual suspects and welcome back Joolz who I rode with for a while and as usual appeared to be taking it all in his stride.
Unfortunately my riding partner Jason had to DNF @ Chepstow due to a knee issue. GWS Jason
I rode the last stage and a half with (Newport) Jack, thank you for the excellent company

Next up: Mr. Pickwick's March Madness

Yes, Tony BCM 2009 comes to mind :o. Great riding with again, sorry about forced slow bit at the end.  Have to find out what was caused that.  They perfect at the start of ride.

Thank you Mark a great route on traffic free lanes and for the weather.  Plus Mr Witherspoons from Fish and Chips and a pint of cider.

Joolz

Well, that was roughly a 26 hour, 469 km unforgettable day out! Respect to Lee on his fifth audax (nice chatting with you). I hope Dai got a bed for the night. Must get lighter and fitter before the next hilly ride, and make my rear lights pothole proof.

Thanks Mark! 
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Lee Killestein

Well, that was roughly a 26 hour, 469 km unforgettable day out! Respect to Lee on his fifth audax (nice chatting with you). I hope Dai got a bed for the night. Must get lighter and fitter before the next hilly ride, and make my rear lights pothole proof.

Thanks Mark!

Good to meet you yesterday and thanks for all the advice to an Audax Newbie!  :)

469km in that sort of weather? No that's what I call audacious!

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
No one's mentioned the floods / fords! Especially the one to be discovered in the dark. Six in all? I think I may also have Mike to thank for a quick tip that saved my day -- a cable tie to make a rear derailleur with snapped cable serviceable again. (And I now have even more respect for the mad folk who ride single-speed.)

Yep that was me... But I got the idea from someone else back in the dim mists of time !!
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

I have to say that I take my hat off to everybody that completed the ride yesterday. I decided on Friday evening not to ride due to the forecast of two inches of rain and gale force winds which would have made the ride very unpleasant, for me at least. Well done to everybody that took part and Bikeabilityman in particular. 469Km is remarkable given the conditions. I'll be back for the March Madness.

Rain was forecast in MK when I awoke, but it was dry, so I thought the weathermen got it wrong again (I didn't book the Jan Sale this time). If I'd known it WOULD be that bad, I'd have gone back to bed and done a club ride instead. Once I'm out though, my stubbornness takes over.

Rain was forecast in MK when I awoke, but it was dry, so I thought the weathermen got it wrong again (I didn't book the Jan Sale this time). If I'd known it WOULD be that bad, I'd have gone back to bed and done a club ride instead. Once I'm out though, my stubbornness takes over.

A very impressive standin for the inimitable Mr. teethgrinder. I salute you.

Not me! I did text him midweek to see if he was cycling to Tewkesbury, but got no reply. Probably enjoying lots of lie ins!

Yep that was me... But I got the idea from someone else back in the dim mists of time !!

Trying to picture it. Did you pull some cable from the mech end so they overlap, then zip them super tight? one time my cable snapped on the way to work, so screwed in the high adjuster to get there, then replaced the cable in my lunch break (the weather wasn't like yesterday though).

Not me! I did text him midweek to see if he was cycling to Tewkesbury, but got no reply. Probably enjoying lots of lie ins!
He was riding with Kajsa Tylen  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

What a totally action-packed value-for-money day that was. Sorry to read so many DNS/DNFs, but understandable under brutal conditions. Thank you Mark for another grand route and great and various company along the way. Must mention Joolz who loaned me a rear light which probably saved me more than once on darkened and water logged lanes [Oh Spa Cycles special Christmas wheel-dynahub bundle - where is thine light when I am most at need of it?]

Top marks for those who resisted the temptation of dining in the Summer Cafe for a little warming soup and manned it out in the rain and wind outside the Co-Op. Perhaps there should be a special medal for those resisting creature comforts in even the most extreme of conditions - the Proof of Extreme Passage.

Trying to picture it. Did you pull some cable from the mech end so they overlap, then zip them super tight? one time my cable snapped on the way to work, so screwed in the high adjuster to get there, then replaced the cable in my lunch break (the weather wasn't like yesterday though).

I'm hoping this picture will explain it (if it posts) ...
IMG_0650 by Anon Postrestant, on Flickr

I see. Never seen that before. I carry zip ties, but only used them to fix mudguards.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
You can also 'fix' cable brakes if the cable breaks near the lever...

You get the cable out of its 'outer' and tie a loop in it, and attach a cable tie loop through the cable loop...

Then use another cable tie to hold the whole lot somewhere on the handlebar..

When you want to brake you pull on the cable tie loop, most easily done using your thumb, (while your fingers curl round the hood), and that pulls the cable etc...

Obviously you need to get the loops just the right length, and you won't get as much braking, but I've done this and it got me home... (Many years ago...)
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Great to read so many accounts of the day's adventures. Think its time to knock this event on the head, the action of one cupid stunt has not acted "In the best possible taste".
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Great to read so many accounts of the day's adventures. Think its time to knock this event on the head, the action of one cupid stunt has not acted "In the best possible taste".
????

????
You best have a look at https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=95810.0 it could probably serve to be the straw that breaks the back. I don't mind a challenge, but along with the increase in abuse from some members in the last few years makes me wonder if life might be more less stressful by becoming a civil enforcement officer.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.