Author Topic: Garmin Etrex mounts  (Read 10783 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Garmin Etrex mounts
« Reply #50 on: 20 September, 2013, 12:19:39 pm »
If you are just interested in recording miles, I've used Cateye Micro Wireless for years with very few problems. The one on my Thorn Solo has recorded almost 29000 miles now with a couple of battery replacements. I have found that the only batteries to withstand cold weather are Panasonics.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #51 on: 20 September, 2013, 12:28:15 pm »
Well i need an etrex battery cover for my vista hcx cos i messed up the screw hole and now transfer the Ram mount from one bike to another as I need it. A replacement battery cover would mean I could use the rather nice handlebar mount on each bike without the faff of shifting the Ram mount. So let me know when you plan to get rid of it.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #52 on: 20 September, 2013, 04:15:07 pm »
If you are just interested in recording miles, I've used Cateye Micro Wireless for years with very few problems. The one on my Thorn Solo has recorded almost 29000 miles now with a couple of battery replacements. I have found that the only batteries to withstand cold weather are Panasonics.
Almost deciding on that, Wow.

My other criteria is backlighting. I ride in the dark for a lot of the year.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #53 on: 23 September, 2013, 03:39:18 pm »
I'm going to try running it in a tri-bag, just to see if it is ok there.

It runs just fine in the tri-bag.

Next step is a neater mount. Will start by seeing if I can get the 'official' mount attached to something that isolates vibration.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #54 on: 23 September, 2013, 04:31:27 pm »
Given I have benefitted from various freebies from fellow yacfers I have 3 or 4 bar mounts and one backing plate which I will happily post FOC to anyone that wants to PM me their address. 

« Reply #55 on: 25 September, 2013, 11:04:28 am »
I'm going to try running it in a tri-bag, just to see if it is ok there.

It runs just fine in the tri-bag.

Next step is a neater mount. Will start by seeing if I can get the 'official' mount attached to something that isolates vibration.

Ok - tried this. Insert chunk of high-density foam into length of inner tube. Loop inner tube around two arms of tri-bars and 'stitch' with cable tie, fasten mount to bit containing the foam. Feels fairly solid, should reduce vibration.

GPS cuts out after 5 miles. Arse.
<i>Marmite slave</i>