Author Topic: Please would someone tell me what GPS to get?  (Read 6546 times)

Re: Please would someone tell me what GPS to get?
« Reply #25 on: 22 April, 2015, 07:09:19 pm »
Just maps have a look at the satmap . os mapping and a large screen   :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #26 on: 23 April, 2015, 01:16:38 pm »
Doesn't the OP primarily need a GPS that links with a Heart Monitor?

So actually one of the cycle computer systems might be more suitable?

As has been said upthread, Etrex30 will listen to ANT+ hrm straps, and will the larger (touchscreen) Oregon and Montana, tho' with a lower battery life 'cos of the larger screens (but still take swappable cells). There's other Garmin outdoor offerings, dunno about HRM compatibility.

I've used mine for navigation-on-the-fly (tho' not much), but for any kinda of postcode coverage you need the Garmin City Navigator maps. But OSM-based mapping generally has a lot of track detail that the road-only CN doesn't, and IME when I've used the OSM maps on (non-cycling) hols elsewhere in europe they've generally been pretty good at showing roads/paths. It's just some of the detail of facilities of various sorts which is often lacking.

Only time my E30 has crashed was using CN, but that was a postcode lookup, which doesn't exist with OSM anyway.

I suspect the only advantage of the Edge range over the trekking Garmins is more cycle-computer-like/training features.  Eg the E3 (etc) logs HR and displays it, but you can't set zones - but it is all there in the gpx log.

« Reply #27 on: 24 April, 2015, 11:48:11 pm »
Thanks everyone ! Have ordered a Edge Touring plus and separate HRM strap.

Cheers!

Old fat and slow

« Reply #28 on: 25 April, 2015, 01:37:07 pm »
Do let us know how you get on with it. Its on my shortlist.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #29 on: 25 April, 2015, 02:37:11 pm »
James aka our Garmin Dakota 20 has done a great service over the last five or so years. Beaten up, shaken to bits, dropped etc. can see some use and scratches on the body. Do get a screen proctor, I changed it after our tour and it was like getting a new GPS. The best part is that Garmin take OSM map, some of the best maps around I think, you can find the "flavour" you like.

I don't think I ever figured out how to use the Dakota to its full potential. Never really got routing/direction and tracks/routes figured out in my head. 

I just looked the Edge Touring and the Etrex 30, I think the later looks like it can take a good old beating compared to the Touring. Just by sound/name the Touring sounds like one I would like, though I haven't looked into details.

A forum member had a great review and a how to on his blog, I read that to make my mind up on which GPS to go for. For the life of me I can't remember whom it was, sorry.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #30 on: 25 April, 2015, 08:16:30 pm »
there are some good sites, dcrainmaker, Frank Kinlan, scarletfire,

some links

http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/foolproof-course-navigation-on-the-garmin-edge-800/

http://frank.kinlan.co.uk/garmin-edge-800/dummies-guide-to-the-garmin-edge-800/

If you want to stick to a phone, ipbike (I think) is supposed to be good. I used my iphone a few weeks ago and google maps to get across North London and a 12 mile journey or less took me over 1.5hrs as I kept stopping to see what junctions I had missed.

The only advantage was that it was warm enough not to need gloves otherwise I would have been even more frustrated.

« Reply #31 on: 25 April, 2015, 08:20:14 pm »
Just maps have a look at the satmap . os mapping and a large screen   :)
You can also install OSM.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #32 on: 26 April, 2015, 06:07:34 pm »
The interesting news for at least one person on this site is TomTom has a new Motorcycle Satnav unit.

Apparently, the thing can plot a route either 'Flat' or 'Mountainous'.

« Reply #33 on: 26 May, 2015, 12:35:09 pm »
The key question is IMO are you going to be looking at the map whilst riding or when stopped?   This might sound dumb as a question but with my sight I need a gps system that does turn by turn navigation like an in-car sat nav rather than something I have to try and read when the led screen is overpowered by daylight.

I appreciate that my needs are not yours.  :)

I'm acquiring an Edge 200 to use as a large bike computer and a strava recording device.

Well, the 200 is good for recording but rubbish as a bike computer.   It also records my runs which is good.   Now I have sorted the Strava - Garmin Connect issue I can just fire the 200 up and slip it in a pocket before I start.   

We're now looking at getting a gps specifically for mapping, loading routes, etc. and I think the Edge Touring Plus looks like it does what we need.   Any other suggestions welcome.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #34 on: 26 May, 2015, 03:14:47 pm »
Surprised that you describe the 200 as a "rubbish bike computer" .... with the appropriate selection of display items on the screen I think it's great - no risk of the spoke magnet/sensor not transmitting, no wires, change from bike to bike without tyre/wheel adjustment - basic, but usable, route following from a pre-loaded .gpx file.

I also have the Edge Touring ( with the complete UK OS 1-50,000 map chip in a bundle deal from the awful Go Outdoors shop) - that's excellent once you get the hang of a couple of quirks - can't really see the value of the extra cost for the HRM set-up that the Plus has?   (I just check that my heart is beating from time time - never mind at what speed  ;D )

Rob

« Reply #35 on: 26 May, 2015, 05:36:39 pm »
Surprised that you describe the 200 as a "rubbish bike computer" .... with the appropriate selection of display items on the screen I think it's great - no risk of the spoke magnet/sensor not transmitting, no wires, change from bike to bike without tyre/wheel adjustment - basic, but usable, route following from a pre-loaded .gpx file.

I also have the Edge Touring ( with the complete UK OS 1-50,000 map chip in a bundle deal from the awful Go Outdoors shop) - that's excellent once you get the hang of a couple of quirks - can't really see the value of the extra cost for the HRM set-up that the Plus has?   (I just check that my heart is beating from time time - never mind at what speed  ;D )

Rob

I bought a Garmin GPSMap62s last November with the OS 1:50k microSD.

The OS map pictures over the HERE ( Navteq ) cartography was from 2006 ( there was one dotted road with "Opening in 2008" label on it ).
There are several new roads in Birmingham which are not on the OS pretty pictures or the HERE ( Navteq ) cartography.

If I'd have kept it, I'd never be routed down a couple of very useful roads.

Garmin, in their wisdom, have four different Motorcycle Satnavs. The Zumo range. Two have ability to accept a GPX file for routing but NO 'bicycle' mode to use. The other two have a 'Scooter' mode to steer clear of large roads, but NO ability to be loaded with a GPX for routing.

The least expensive Zumo is the 340 at £300 RRP.
It can accept a Route from Basecamp.
I would have it permanently adjusted to 'Motorcycle' and 'Avoid Motorways'. There is also facility to set Avoids on specific roads ( Custom avoidances  ), so busy A roads can be avoided.
It has 'Fuel tracking' where you input how far a tank will take you. Then it will prompt you into the cafe.  :thumbsup:

It saves a 'Track' which can be converted to a 'Trip'.
You can pair-up a Bluetooth earpiece.

Its about the same size and weight as the TomTom Urban Rider. Battery life is the same as TT UR.

FREE Lifetime map updates  :thumbsup:

This will be my next device.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #36 on: 26 May, 2015, 09:03:56 pm »
Rob

Hmm, haven't discovered customising the screen.   How did I miss that ???

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #37 on: 27 May, 2015, 09:33:09 am »
I don't know the 200 but you should find that any data field, on any screen, can be set to display any one of about 50 parameters.  This gives a lot of flexibility.

What sometimes confuses the issue on some models is that Garmin also offer a 'dashboard' which is a preset combination of several data fields, and also customisable but to a limited extent - and in some configurations this displays instead of the plain data fields.  In general I find it better to switch the dashboard off and just use plain data fields set up the way I want.

... The Zumo range. Two have ability to accept a GPX file for routing but NO 'bicycle' mode to use.

This is no loss at all.  On Garmins that do have a bicycle mode, it is best avoided even by those who are committed to 'the road less travelled'  ;)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #38 on: 28 May, 2015, 02:00:17 pm »
 I have found a NEW Garmin Zumo 340Lm for sale on web for £ 240. Looks spot on for what i need .  Can you modify the motor bike  handle bar mount . Or can you buy a proper mount . colin 
Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #39 on: 28 May, 2015, 03:07:35 pm »
I have found a NEW Garmin Zumo 340Lm for sale on web for £ 240. Looks spot on for what i need .  Can you modify the motor bike  handle bar mount . Or can you buy a proper mount . colin

The Zumo clips into a mount dock supplied with four recessed holes for bolts onto whatever clamp you get.
For a bicycle stem, I would get a nice piece of plastic sheet to bolt it to. Drill holes in the plastic sheet for the bolts. Sandwich two zipclips between mountdock and plastic sheet and use a piece of firm rubber sponge to cushion the assembly on the stem.

From what I can see, external power can be either by special cable via the mount dock, or through a microUSB in the backside of the unit.

NB.
When on an Audax, be prepared for some pisstake. "What's on telly?"

« Reply #40 on: 28 May, 2015, 08:24:28 pm »
Thanks Ningishzidda . I have found on the USA fleebay site, a couple of plastic/ rubber adjustable  22mm- 32mm handle bar mounts that look suitable. I have been look for ages for a GPS. I could see a decent area of map clearly & with out  reading glasses. If i need more than 7 hours .A  USB cable & power pack  looks canny  my lights & £25 aldi ruffty tufty un smart phone charge off a USB supply.    Garmin 340 weighs 270 grams  . Great I now have an excuse for needing a triple. Will squeeze in to leathers & head off to the  s & m club .Then to the west gate road in the Toone & have a look in the motor bike shops .It will also replace , the car satnav that got nicked   
Its More Fun With Three .

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #41 on: 28 May, 2015, 08:58:27 pm »
As my going fast days are over (see health posts) am returning back to audax and touring of my youth. The Enigma now has mudguards and carrier and appropriate gearing inc 34 rear sprocket and the SRM has been removed.
Need HR (health reasons not to try to see how high I can get it)
Want maps.
Have been known to throw misbehaving IT kit at walls.

Ideas ?

Thanks

I've been really pleased with a Garmin Montana. It's big and bulky. That means you get a nice big screen so you can put a big map on it. It also means it's not very aerodynamic, but if your going fast days are over the chances are you're much like me (I'm not very aerodynamic, so don't care that my Montana is bulkier than an Edge).

Whatever unit you go for, mapping involves tradeoffs. You can go for something like OS maps which look pretty but may not offer any useful routing. Garmin's own maps offer routing which is usually quite useful but the maps are usually out of date by the time you've got the package home (how badly out of date and where will depend on where you live).

Some interesting experiences I had with different types of mapping:

Garmin maps typically didn't have very many of the assorted bike lane contraflows/cut-throughts/shared paths that make cycling so much faster. Where I lived in London there were several of them, and my Garmin maps knew of precisely none of them. So it would route me by road to get where I was going, typically making my journeys longer by anything up to a couple of miles.

Garmin Topo maps will often show footpaths and bridlepaths but not regard them as valid routes. If you try and navigate to a point not on a recognised route it will get you as close as it can, then draw a straight line from that point to your destination. I learned that when I tried to navigate to a point on the footpath/cyclepath between Kingston and Hampton Court. My GPS dutifully routed me as close as it could by road, then invited me to go off-road for the last 100 yards or so. Which wasn't as easy as it sounds, because there was some water in the way. Specifically my target was on the north bank of the Thames, and I was standing on the south bank looking at where I needed to be.

Garmin maps also had a tendency to avoid busy main roads. Which was nice, until I was riding on a moderately busy road with a reasonable cyclepath and it tried to get me to turn right across the traffic so I could follow a parallel road for half a mile, then turn right across the traffic again to get back onto the same road.

OS maps are very nice to look at but you may struggle with zoom levels. If you zoom in close enough to see the paths you're walking/cycling you may find you're zoomed in so far you can't see the bigger picture of where you're going.

OSM tried to route me along a "bridlepath" where the path of earth visible was about six inches wide, there were six foot high stinging nettles along both sides, and the path was obstructed by six-foot high metal barriers to make it difficult to get a bike through. The "No Cycling" sign was also rather offputting.

OSM offered me a route along a bridlepath that would have cut a huge distance from my journey, but when the bridlepath was essentially lots of standing water over several inches of wet mud I decided to find a better route. Even on a mountain bike I wouldn't have taken that bridlepath.

OSM offered me a route home. The best option from where I was would have been to follow the road I was on for about a mile and turn right. OSM offered me a 9-mile route that took in some of the busiest roads in the area.

What I personally did was load OSM maps (which are nice and free) onto my unit, then navigate by tracing a GPX of the route and following it. The biggest downside of doing that is that the unit doesn't beep if you miss a turning, nor does it do anything to route you back to where you want to be. The crucial thing is to know the limitations of what you're dealing with and work within it. I went for OSM because I wanted the many paths and bridlepaths (I also use it for hiking and when I bought it I did geocaching too, so the tiny little paths were really useful). If you'd rather not deal with endless bridlepaths you might be better off with Garmin's mapping products, just look at the maps on their web site to make sure the area you want to use them isn't too badly affected by new roads not shown on old maps.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #42 on: 29 May, 2015, 10:27:14 am »
Garmin's own maps offer routing which is usually quite useful but the maps are usually out of date by the time you've got the package home

If we were using paper maps (and I'm told some people still do!!) we'd think nothing of using a 30 year old map.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #43 on: 29 May, 2015, 10:54:35 am »
Garmin's own maps offer routing which is usually quite useful but the maps are usually out of date by the time you've got the package home

If we were using paper maps (and I'm told some people still do!!) we'd think nothing of using a 30 year old map.

Well, that's true for hillwalking and the like, where the geological landscape is not changing.
But I'd not use a 30-year old Road Atlas!
Particularly around heavily built-up areas where there is constant development / re-development going on.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #44 on: 29 May, 2015, 02:30:24 pm »

Well, that's true for hillwalking and the like, where the geological landscape is not changing.
But I'd not use a 30-year old Road Atlas!
Particularly around heavily built-up areas where there is constant development / re-development going on.

Why not?   ... I have a map book in my car that has the M4 drawn onto it in blue pen from Maidenhead to the (old) Severn Bridge  :thumbsup:

Rob

« Reply #45 on: 29 May, 2015, 05:42:16 pm »
As my going fast days are over (see health posts) am returning back to audax and touring of my youth. The Enigma now has mudguards and carrier and appropriate gearing inc 34 rear sprocket and the SRM has been removed.
Need HR (health reasons not to try to see how high I can get it)
Want maps.
Have been known to throw misbehaving IT kit at walls.

Ideas ?

Thanks

Edge 1000 or Sony Experia Z1 (or current big screen equivalent) with fitness app and ViewRanger with UK at 1:50000, or both... You might want a cache battery or dynamo and usb-werk too

Martin

« Reply #46 on: 29 May, 2015, 06:04:31 pm »
I wouldn't go for an etrex again, it works well and batteries are no problem but I'd prefer the option to navigate directly (by which I mean turn by turn, anything else is not navigation) from a gpx track rather than have to plot a route every time.

other than that the 30 works fine

« Reply #47 on: 29 May, 2015, 06:55:54 pm »

Edge 1000 or Sony Experia Z1 (or current big screen equivalent) with fitness app and ViewRanger with UK at 1:50000, or both... You might want a cache battery or dynamo and usb-werk too

So, if we go for the latter, or the compact version, is there a good turn by turn navigation for Android that doesn't require a degree in programming? Viewranger is excellent but doesn't do TBT (although it is on their roadmap, but with no schedule as yet). RideWithGPS will do it, but its $50 a year.

« Reply #48 on: 29 May, 2015, 07:36:24 pm »
Osmand is what you want and voice turn by turn instruction got gpx routes you upload. Uses offline maps.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #49 on: 29 May, 2015, 07:54:52 pm »

So, if we go for the latter, or the compact version, is there a good turn by turn navigation for Android that doesn't require a degree in programming? Viewranger is excellent but doesn't do TBT (although it is on their roadmap, but with no schedule as yet). RideWithGPS will do it, but its $50 a year.

I actually like the included Maps app in Android, but it does need online maps when planning the route.