Author Topic: Bagging up loose change  (Read 137720 times)

Bagging up loose change
« on: 15 May, 2009, 01:24:17 pm »
Today I decided it was about time to count up and bank my box full of piss heads pocket as I haven't done it for a while and it was starting to overflow. £117!!!!

It was quite time consuming, but decent digital kitchen scales make life sooo much easier. As I'm a helpful kinda chap, these are the weights you need to know:

100 x 1p = 356g
50 x 2p = 356g
100 x 5p = 325g
50 x 10p = 325g
50 x 20p = 250g
20 x 50p = 160g
20 x £1 = 190g
10 x £2 = 240g

I'd never thought about it before, but it's quite clever how 100 1p coins weigh the same as 50 2p coins etc....

Right I'm off to the bank in a bit - my ruck sack weighs several kilos  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Re: Bagging up loose change
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2009, 01:34:10 pm »
Thanks for the heads up - I'll be along to mug you shortly. :P

« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2009, 01:36:51 pm »
I bagged up about £100 of change a few years ago. Didn't have digital scales but I did have some old balancing scales. Did one bag of each and then the rest was done by weight.

Feeling pleased with myself I took it all to the bank (Barclays) only for them to tear open every bag and throw it all in a big counting/sorting machine.

Next time I did it I took the big bag of change in only to be told that they'd got rid of the machine, and they gave me a load of bags to sort/count it myself.

The Coinstar machines in supermarkets charge 5% or so, if you can't be arsed to count/bag everything up then that may be an acceptable fee.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2009, 01:38:00 pm »
Thanks for the heads up - I'll be along to mug you shortly. :P

You might be able to mug him but you won't run far with that weight to carry.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2009, 01:39:22 pm »
Thanks for the heads up

He's on your tail!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #5 on: 15 May, 2009, 01:39:48 pm »
My bank will only accept 5 bags at a time, hope yours isn't the same or you could be joining the back of the queue a few times.

« Reply #6 on: 15 May, 2009, 01:39:54 pm »
It'll be a drive by mugging on my racing bike!

« Reply #7 on: 15 May, 2009, 02:34:52 pm »
It was all done with no drama. I was the only person in the bank and didn't get mugged either  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 15 May, 2009, 02:41:55 pm »
TOKaMaK must've had a p*nct*re en route...
Getting there...

« Reply #9 on: 15 May, 2009, 03:19:06 pm »
I decided non-violent cunning was a better way to go and bobb didn't see through the disguise - I was the bank teller, yoink!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 15 May, 2009, 04:36:11 pm »
The Coinstar machines in supermarkets charge 5% or so, if you can't be arsed to count/bag everything up then that may be an acceptable fee.

I think they were charging 7.5% when I last looked, which I felt was a bit steep.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #11 on: 15 May, 2009, 04:45:07 pm »
The bigger branches of some banks have amachine in the lobby which lets you pay the money straight in to your own account, free of charge (I know HSBC in Kingston do for example)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #12 on: 15 May, 2009, 05:04:29 pm »
oh oh oh, can I can I can I ... start my favorite rant about the UK !!!

oh well since you are so keen :)

One of my earliest memories ...

Is me going down to the bank with my piggy bank and hand it over to the nice lady behind the counter, read my mum :)

And I was even allowed to press the button on this machine. Now let me tell you about this machine, there was no black magic evolved, what did was ...

IT COUNTED THE MONEY FOR YOU !!

Shocking  and unheard off I know and the other big shock is that this happened over 35 years ago !!! Way back when the bank still wrote by hand into your little book how much money you had stored away.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #13 on: 15 May, 2009, 05:47:35 pm »
Indeed, especially when a 2 p weighs a quarter and an old half-penny is a 1/16th. Made for the job, almost.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #14 on: 15 May, 2009, 06:33:06 pm »
Annoying thing about modern coins is that they go rusty - coppers used to be useful as, er, penny washers. Things change.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #15 on: 15 May, 2009, 06:46:55 pm »
What do fake coins weigh?  Lotofem about.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #16 on: 02 June, 2017, 07:49:25 am »
Right I'm off to the bank in a bit - my ruck sack weighs several kilos  :P

I made this useful spreadsheet from your info.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1flJBbQ-tPUz_NN1Valz8cGmWj2Fjl0z9izVZ--sUmF4/edit?usp=drivesdk
 :)

« Reply #17 on: 02 June, 2017, 08:22:15 am »
I did this about a month ago, using a Coinstar machine (8%) with around 3 year's worth of loose change.
£348.54
And a whole bunch of coins it refused to accept - presumably on the basis of them being forgeries.
So they got re-cycled in the canteen till  :demon:

ian

« Reply #18 on: 02 June, 2017, 09:32:33 am »
I confess I've given up with change, it's just annoyingly count-y and makes my wallet podgy. So I just dump it all in the charity box.

Though these days I rarely have money or, when I do, the right currency. I'd pretty much be doomed without cards.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #19 on: 02 June, 2017, 10:00:55 am »
My son is a coin collector (not any old coin - just the various editions of 50p, £1 and £2 coin, of which there seem to be many) so the moment I empty my pockets he's in there rummaging around to see what I've accumulated. Anything left goes into a pot which, when full, goes down to the bank where they have one of those machines that Wascally mentioned.  It's usually about £50 straight into the holidays account. The ones at the supermarket take about 7% in "commission" so are to be avoided.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #20 on: 02 June, 2017, 12:24:06 pm »
How can anybody afford to chuck away loose change?! Mine is used to pay for stuff. Like food. I like it when I can hand exact money over the counter.
Milk please, no sugar.

ian

« Reply #21 on: 02 June, 2017, 12:33:53 pm »
I'm not chucking it away. It goes to charity and I don't generate much spare change so it's only a couple of quid a week. I'm not exactly the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. One day I hope to have purchased an entire guide dog paw. Someone else will have to pay for the rest of the dog.

Ben T

« Reply #22 on: 02 June, 2017, 12:50:10 pm »
I tend to chuck anything less than a quid in the bin. It's not actually wasteful because the value of the currency isn't in the actual coin itself, it's in what it represents - so by chucking it away I'm counteracting inflation and making all the rest of the money slightly more valuable.

I would lose more money by not working during the time it took to go to the bank than I'd put in my account.

Ben T

« Reply #23 on: 02 June, 2017, 12:54:49 pm »
When Waitrose give you a token to put in a charity box I keep that and bin it as well, if I don't agree with any of the charities, which I usually don't.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #24 on: 02 June, 2017, 01:20:14 pm »
I tend to chuck anything less than a quid in the bin. It's not actually wasteful because the value of the currency isn't in the actual coin itself, it's in what it represents - so by chucking it away I'm counteracting inflation and making all the rest of the money slightly more valuable.

I would lose more money by not working during the time it took to go to the bank than I'd put in my account.
I spend anything of 10p and over.  The rest goes in a box which is periodically emptied into one of those Coinstar machines when I'm at Sainsbury's.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.