Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 638138 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #2850 on: 07 December, 2019, 06:18:57 pm »
Looks like a relatively harmless way to get around billboard regulations.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2851 on: 18 December, 2019, 04:40:48 pm »
Spotted an interesting one earlier:  I was passed by a muggle-looking cyclist (flat pedals, civvy shoes, hi-vis jacket under rucksack, waterproof trousers) going well on some kind of hybrid.  Then I spotted the belt drive and gave it a bit more effort to try to satisfy my curiosity....  Large grey rear hub that I didn't recognise as a Rohloff, Alfine or Nexus, but might have passed for an older NuVinci if you squint (it was bigger and less shiny than the Sturmey-Archer hubs).  There was a black bottle in the one cage on the downtube, so if that was a battery, it was a fairly stealth one.  Just the two brake cables at the handlebars, didn't spot an obvious eBike console (though I only caught up for a second at some traffic lights before we went different ways, so didn't get a good look at the controls).

???

My gut instinct says some sort of stealth-ninja e-bike, in which case kudos to the manufacturer for commuter-oriented minimalism.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2852 on: 18 December, 2019, 04:55:36 pm »
Spotted an interesting one earlier:  I was passed by a muggle-looking cyclist (flat pedals, civvy shoes, hi-vis jacket under rucksack, waterproof trousers) going well on some kind of hybrid.  Then I spotted the belt drive and gave it a bit more effort to try to satisfy my curiosity....  Large grey rear hub that I didn't recognise as a Rohloff, Alfine or Nexus, but might have passed for an older NuVinci if you squint (it was bigger and less shiny than the Sturmey-Archer hubs).  There was a black bottle in the one cage on the downtube, so if that was a battery, it was a fairly stealth one.  Just the two brake cables at the handlebars, didn't spot an obvious eBike console (though I only caught up for a second at some traffic lights before we went different ways, so didn't get a good look at the controls).

???

My gut instinct says some sort of stealth-ninja e-bike, in which case kudos to the manufacturer for commuter-oriented minimalism.

Something like this?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2853 on: 18 December, 2019, 05:16:05 pm »
Nahh, I'd have recognised a Vanmoof.  This had a normal looking frame.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2854 on: 18 December, 2019, 05:22:59 pm »
There are lots of e-bikes with batteries integrated 'invisibly' into the down tube nowadays, though I've only seen them in road style.

« Reply #2855 on: 18 December, 2019, 06:13:34 pm »
How about this one.
Belt drive, bottle battery, two cables, no handlebar controls.
https://www.gtech.co.uk/ebikes/ebike-sport.html

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2856 on: 18 December, 2019, 06:38:43 pm »
How about this one.
Belt drive, bottle battery, two cables, no handlebar controls.
https://www.gtech.co.uk/ebikes/ebike-sport.html

And we have a winner!   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2857 on: 08 February, 2020, 12:54:31 pm »
An Enigma with hand-painted Lauf fork. It was the first Lauf I've seen in reality and it's a far simpler mechanism than the videos make it look.

« Reply #2858 on: 11 February, 2020, 08:34:52 pm »

« Reply #2859 on: 04 March, 2020, 10:12:35 am »
Thought I spotted an e-Moulton.  It had front and rear hubs like dyno-hubs (no derailleur) and a small battery-pack like object.  The rider was making progress look effortless.   

On the website I could find nothing like it though.
Move Faster and Bake Things

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2860 on: 04 March, 2020, 10:44:12 am »
 A few folk have retro-fitted Nano motors and suchlike to Moultons. Moultoneer orienteer OTP has done so to his Moulton tandem, which isn't on the Moulton website either.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2861 on: 04 March, 2020, 06:02:52 pm »
I'm orienteer not moultoneer!

Mine is an ARCC system, they can supply new Moultons already fitted or convert existing ones and Bromptons:

https://www.arccbikes.com/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2862 on: 04 March, 2020, 09:06:35 pm »
Morpheus/Pino, that turned out to be a pair of teenagers falling off a mountain bike when I got closer.

"Sitting on the handlebars?  That's never going to work..." says I, wiggling my under-seat steering for emphasis.

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #2863 on: 12 March, 2020, 11:38:48 pm »

Seen in Belgium last year.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2864 on: 22 April, 2020, 05:30:13 pm »
Ice cream update:  Henley Ice Cream appear to be operating some sort of self-service ice cream dispensary out of the (presumed) owner's front garden in Ullenhall.  I'll slow down and get a proper look next time.

It appears to qualify for this thread  :thumbsup:

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #2865 on: 23 April, 2020, 10:59:47 am »
I remember the ice cream trike was always signwritten 'Stop me and buy one' (as opposed to the condom salesman who marked his 'buy me  and stop one)
Advena ego sum in Terra

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2866 on: 25 April, 2020, 07:47:34 pm »
A folding trike. Upright delta. Ridden for Barakta-type reasons (but e-less) and has been living a couple of streets away from me for at least five years but never seen it till today. One of these.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #2868 on: 14 May, 2020, 05:58:25 pm »
Coming home tonight saw a double child trailer  - apparently a WeeHoo iGo. A lovely bit of kit.

(picture from the website)

« Reply #2869 on: 20 May, 2020, 07:05:04 am »
This kinda fits here

Around 2001 I had a job in Halfords. Of all the bikes we sold the worst adult bike we sold was a Gemini out rider. Crap side pull brakes and made from gas pipe and often would have to bend bits back into shape. In short I hated them but they were cheap. I think sub 70 quid.

Out for my morning run and saw an dumped/stolen bike by the side of the path. Wheels mashed and tyres hanging off. Before I even got to it the hideous colour had me in cold sweats and yes it was the aforementioned out rider. No idea when they stopped selling them but shows some are still about

Fennec

« Reply #2870 on: 21 May, 2020, 02:53:05 pm »
A lovely Peer Gynt being ridden towards Cheltenham early this morning by a smiley gent with a beard.

It looked to be in superb condition. Either very well cared for, or recently renovated. It was a sort of pewter colour I think, I’m not sure whether that was an original option.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2871 on: 26 May, 2020, 10:24:27 am »
All sorts of old bikes are coming out of sheds due to the "lockdown" (now in name only) and dry weather.  I saw a fluo pinky/orange Mt. Shasta yesterday, and there have been some 80s mixte "racers" in pastel colours.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2872 on: 26 May, 2020, 10:29:17 am »
Have I already reported that one of my local LBSs has reported that the trade is running out of 26" inner tubes as sheds are raided for long-neglected bikes and they're handed over to LBSs to get them going again ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #2873 on: 02 June, 2020, 02:10:57 pm »
And another Halfords BOS from back in the day. Cant recall it's name but full suspension with triple crown forks with probably a massive 42mm of travel.

Was another of the bikes we sold when I worked there when everyone was in a race to flog the cheapest full suspension bike they could. One was cycled past me on a ride with kids the other day by a lad who was probably younger then the bike

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #2874 on: 19 June, 2020, 09:33:01 am »
Well, hands up, I've not seen one, yet..

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/inside-triumph/trekker-gt

I coughed into my coffee at this point.  I'm afraid, as far as I am concerned, the Hinckley-built (well, now mostly Asian-built, so even less Triumph) Triump*s are not Triumphs (i.e. Coventry or Meriden built), and this e-bike is even less of a Triumph.  But, it could be a nice e-bike though, not that I want one.  Yet.

If you get my drift......