Author Topic: spec me a commuting / touring bike..  (Read 11623 times)

Re: spec me a commuting / touring bike..
« Reply #50 on: 22 March, 2012, 06:48:24 pm »
sigh. 

p'raps I need to try a different rack on the back of my pompino to see if I can get the panniers a bit further back..

You're supposed to be justifying an n+1, dammit.

« Reply #51 on: 22 March, 2012, 07:29:43 pm »
I'm with 'zilla. Commute on a fixie- you're not going far enough/over enough hills for it to be a problem.
A quibble: fixed =/ single speed.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #52 on: 22 March, 2012, 08:20:29 pm »
sigh. 

p'raps I need to try a different rack on the back of my pompino to see if I can get the panniers a bit further back..
Big saddlebag/rackpack?
You're supposed to be justifying an n+1, dammit.
You need a touring bike. Just not for commuting on. Justification enough?

I'm with 'zilla. Commute on a fixie- you're not going far enough/over enough hills for it to be a problem.
He lives in Cambridgeshire!

« Reply #53 on: 22 March, 2012, 08:34:38 pm »
essex, aktually..  the highest point in essex! 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #54 on: 22 March, 2012, 08:37:00 pm »
Nowt wrong with commuting on a touring bike.  Comfortable and no problems carrying clothes & kit.  Enjoy your ride!
Getting there...

« Reply #55 on: 22 March, 2012, 09:38:42 pm »
Highest point 146 metres.

Essex is 147.  ;D
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #56 on: 22 March, 2012, 09:45:17 pm »
Highest point 146 metres.

Essex is 147.  ;D

mountains, I tell you! 

my commute:

« Reply #57 on: 22 March, 2012, 09:54:03 pm »
Three of the four bikes I ride have disc brakes, I am convinced they are the way forward: powerful but smooth and work well in the wet but can be a bit noisy.  They can be a git to set up sometimes but if you've access to a decent LBS get them to do it.

Don't oil them, they don't like it.  It will cost you c£40 in new pads and rotor cleaning stuff.  No need to ask how I know this, it's cos I'm a tit  ;D

Might make us a pair of tits. I can't say I feel for you without getting a slap can I?

I did get out of my pre-disc habit of spraying GT40 liberally quite quickly.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #58 on: 22 March, 2012, 09:59:24 pm »
Despite your aversion to discs I'd recommend a Peregrine. If you get them set up BB7s, probably the only option for drops are great. The Peregrine's really versatile: geared, hub gear, fixed, singlespeed.

Plus it's a really comfy ride and looks great.

« Reply #59 on: 24 March, 2012, 03:51:15 pm »
I'll recommend cross check with appropriate rack for heel clearance. Lots of tyre clearance and the fork will be more comfortable than the one on Kaffenback. I only say that because  I have one I use for  daily commute, child hauling and short tours. In fact it's my only bike ATM used for pretty much everything. If I had a space though I would like a dedicated commuting bike with hub gears. But cross check is very good in this role nonetheless. Oh, and regarding Road Rat, I heard many reports that it's very noodley under load, so may not be ideal for touring.
Marcin

« Reply #60 on: 24 March, 2012, 08:10:54 pm »
How many wows is that?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Re: spec me a commuting / touring bike.. - Now, what lighting?
« Reply #61 on: 02 April, 2012, 09:22:34 pm »
we have a winner! (and it's **ugly**  ;D)

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=17.msg1200458#msg1200458

So, what lighting would you go for?

Dynamo hub + [   ] ?
bottle dynamo + [   ] ?
Battery light and try not to ride in the dark too often?

I'd like to be able to charge my phone & GPS from a hub, but sounds like there isnt a simple, idiot proof solution yet.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #62 on: 02 April, 2012, 09:23:35 pm »
Shimano N72 or 80 and Cyo.  No question.
Getting there...

« Reply #63 on: 02 April, 2012, 09:33:44 pm »
I was pleasantly surprised by my B&M IQ Fly last Wednesday evening though a Cyo is slightly brighter.   Different models have a different beam pattern I believe so choose with care.  I'd say Schmidt rather than that new-fangled japanese Shimano stuff for the hub every time!   :P

« Reply #64 on: 02 April, 2012, 10:06:30 pm »
What *are* bottle dynamos like now?  Havent used one in about 30 years..

I've got an N72 on another bike and MrsMike has a schmidt which I'm sometimes allowed to borrow.  One does spin slightly easier but I cant tell the difference when I'm going along.. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #65 on: 02 April, 2012, 10:45:42 pm »

Got an Axa on barakta's trike (for which the only hub dynamo option is an even more expensive than usual Schmidt), which cost all of about 20 quid.  It's driving a (non-R) Cyo and a pair of Spanninga Pixeos.

Current impressions, based on a relatively small amount of mileage, but quite a lot of which required lights:
  • The system works, in exactly the way I expect a dynamo lighting system to.  The main functional difference between it and a SON Delux + Cyo is that the output is disappointing at low speeds.  You need to be doing 10mph or so to get decent light-to-see-by (though there's plenty for being seen while crawling up hills at walking pace).  We've been doing a lot of Sustrans path type riding while barakta builds up some cycling fitness, and performance in the slow fiddly bits is significantly less good than my DH-3N80/Cyo-R setup on the Dawes.  However, I found it fine while riding the trike myself at normal road speeds.
  • It's not silent, but the noise isn't all that noticeable at normal cruising speeds while riding the trike (where it's tucked in behind the seat - I'd expect it would be annoying on the front wheel of an upright bike).  It's more apparent to the rider behind.
  • We haven't experienced any problems with it slipping.  It's been wet (plenty of puddles, pissy rain and a couple of runs through a ford), and mildly muddy (towpath type stuff), but not through snow slush or anything.  I chose the Axa specifically because it had a good reputation for noise and traction.  (This is with a Marathon Plus tyre, which incorporates a dynamo track)
  • The electrical contact on the dynamo connectors went intermittent at one point, so I re-did them.  Not had any problem since.  May have been my fault.  If it turns out to be dodgy again, I'll replace the no-tools vampiric plastic arrangement with spade connectors or solder or something.
  • The dynamo incorporates a voltage limiter, at 8V.  This is suboptimal for powering loads that can make use of higher voltages (LED front lights like the Cyo, the better USB chargers).  I suspect it also means the dynamo is wasting significant power when not electrically loaded.  Obviously this is less important in a bottle dynamo, as it can be mechanically disengaged.
  • The case is glued shut, preventing me from non-destructively knobbling the above limiter circuit ;)

All things being equal, it's really not bad for 20 quid.  I'd especially recommend them as an interim measure where the up-front cost of a dynamo wheel in addition to lights is unreasonably expensive (make sure you buy the hub dynamo versions of lights, which includes a switch, though).  We'd already broken the bank with the trike, and the SON was an easy thing to leave out - it's a wheelbuild and simple wiring job to retrofit if barakta ends up being a serious tourist / night rider.  As is, the bottle dynamo is fine for irregular use.

« Reply #66 on: 03 April, 2012, 08:55:15 am »

Current impressions,

Puntastic!  ;D

« Reply #67 on: 03 April, 2012, 05:04:01 pm »
That AXA dynamo doesn't look as if it's changed since I had one on my utility bike in the 1990s. It survived a few years of round town riding before dying.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #68 on: 03 April, 2012, 07:45:50 pm »
Good to know.  There's not a lot to a bottle dynamo, really, so I suppose other than the wheel wearing out, it's corrosion that eventually gets them.