Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951891 times)

Andrew

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #3950 on: 12 February, 2014, 04:20:51 pm »
Rush. Being a F1 fanatic, I had low expectations for this, but it was actually good!

My mother really enjoyed it, recommended it to me in fact, and she has absolutely no interest in F1, nor car racing, nor even cars!

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #3951 on: 12 February, 2014, 04:39:46 pm »
Robocop (the new one)

I was a huge fan of the original, so was in two minds about going to see it at all, not because I completely object to remakes (I do a fair bit) but because I thought my strong affection for the original would make it hard for me to relax enough to enjoy this one.

The original was so fresh and darkly comic that it was always going to be a hard act to follow, although it divided opinion at the time in the critical world.  In fact I marked the release year of Robocop as the year that the BBC lead film critic Barry Norman lost his ability to be objective – I think he liked it with very grudging reservations on his first review but was quite scathing about it by the end of the year.

I’m not against remakes per se, some of my favourite films are effectively remakes – the version of The Maltese Falcon that everyone knows, is itself a remake of an earlier film, see also Ben-Hur for that matter.  Even reboots can be no bad thing if Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy is anything to go by.  Magnificent Seven, A Fistful of Dollars (and Last Man Standing) are all remakes, the latter two of the same film.  Scorsese’s The Departed takes the central plotting of Infernal Affairs, adds local Boston crime detail for one of his best movies in years.

But that said, many remakes seem like cheap attempts to cash in on the fame and success of the original – I’m told the Total Recall remake was a bit average but I haven’t seen it so can’t comment.  There are times when I hear about a forthcoming remake and wonder why the hell are they making that, Manchurian Candidate being a case in point.

However, I have to report that I quite enjoyed the Robocop remake.  It’s a 12A certificate so the bloody violence is dialled down a bit but not completely, it’s got some of the cynicism of the original but without the biting satire – at times it’s kind of like a Coke Zero version of Robocop with the edgy hit of sugar rush and caffeine removed.

But it tells a good enough story, one that is reminiscent of the original but different enough to claim its own space.  They chose to concentrate a bit more on two threads the original mostly sidelined, namely the scientists ‘creating’ him and Murphy’s family.  If I had read that the family aspect was brought in more it would have put me off, with memories of Robocop 3* but this is done quite well.  I’ve got a personal stake in stories about amputees having difficulty with reconnecting to families and I thought this was done pretty well.

The science creation side is largely the story of Gary Oldman’s character which is another non-scenery chewing performance from him and is a whole other aspect mostly in the background of the original.

There’s some humour here and there but on the whole it’s a fairly solid effort.  Reading back over that and I’ve qualified what I have said quite a bit – it’s got a nice sensibility regarding the power of the media and the businesses that control it (with Samuel L Jackson and Michael Keaton respectively representing those areas), the ED 209s are great and pleasingly chunky too. 

The film is also asking some good questions about drones and policing by consent that aren’t being brought up enough elsewhere in the media.

So on the whole, not as good as the original but certainly better than either of the sequels in my view.

*Jetpack aside, Robocop 3 was arguably the worst of the franchise.  In the first film Murphy has a son.  In the third one he has miraculously changed gender.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3952 on: 12 February, 2014, 04:44:58 pm »
When I "reboot" a computer, I expect it to go back to the same state it was in straight after the last time I rebooted.

I don't want it to start up with a totally different OS, desktop and apps  ???
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #3953 on: 12 February, 2014, 04:49:46 pm »
When I "reboot" a computer, I expect it to go back to the same state it was in straight after the last time I rebooted.

I don't want it to start up with a totally different OS, desktop and apps  ???

Sure, it's a hateful word.  'Reimagining' is perhaps more accurate but equally hideous on the ear.

Like I said though, I don't see why a film has to be immune from a remake I just think there should generally be better critical judgement applied rather than the pure financial one.

Edge of Darkness was one that I really thought completely unnecessary.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3954 on: 12 February, 2014, 05:28:44 pm »
Oh god yes, "Reimagining" sounds a lot worse!

I have a gut feeling that whenever a film-company uses "reboot" they mean "restart a new multi-million dollar franchise". You don't see the word used so much for more interesting remakes, even where they do things totally differently.

[I also struggle to see why Superman needs rebooting every 5 years, or indeed what new ideas they think they're bringing to the thing. Grumble grumble ... ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #3955 on: 12 February, 2014, 05:30:31 pm »
Ike: A countdown to D.Day  on TV last night

The second time I have seen this made for TV movie. It's an unusual film about WWII in that there are no action sequences instead it focuses on the planning at SHAEF and the way Eisenhower dealt with the politicians and other generals. It's very historically accurate too with only a couple of bloopers. The other generals are given greater depth than the usually cartoon like portraits of the likes of Monty and Patton.
What's particularly notable is the lead. I had always considered Tom Selleck a light weight actor but he gives a great performance as Ike. And he goes without the trademark Tom Selleck toupay !
Definitely worth watching.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #3956 on: 12 February, 2014, 06:37:11 pm »
Watched Hero last night. Still as good as I remember.

« Reply #3957 on: 13 February, 2014, 01:32:50 pm »
The Reluctant Fundamentalist

About a bright young Harvard grad, fast-tracking his way in the NY financial world just prior to 9/11. Then a series of unrelated unpleasant incidents push him gradually back to his family in Pakistan and (seemingly) towards muslim fundamentalism. Although the two extremes he switches between are both nasty you can't help sympathising with him most of the time, whereas most of the other characters in the film are not very likeable.

Sunshine on Leith

Had been looking forward to this for a while, but it turned out to be toe-curlingly cringeworthy with very little going for it apart from a good scene at the end.

Wadjda

This is an absolutely amazing film. Shot entirely in Saudi Arabia by a Saudi director - the first such film ever, I believe. Set around a simple story - girl wants a bike, Mum says no, girl finds ways to earn the money - as a vehicle around which the film hangs. It is quite an eye-opener, though the film is carefully non-judgemental, it just shows what suburban life is in Riyadh, and you can make of it what you will. And on top of that it has all the things that make a good film. Highly recommended.

Some other background: when filming the outdoor scenes, the director could not be seen to interact with the male crew, so had to direct over intercom sitting in the back of a van watching screens. She only found the lead actress the week before filming began because so few families would allow their daughters to act. There are no cinemas in Saudi Arabia, but as of last year women are now permitted to ride bicycles.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #3958 on: 13 February, 2014, 01:36:40 pm »
I was surprised to really enjoy Sunshine on Leith. I'm in a minority I think.

spindrift

« Reply #3959 on: 15 February, 2014, 05:43:26 pm »
I loved Sunshine, it's light, frothy and funny. Also Mullan and Horrocks are brilliant and moving.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3960 on: 16 February, 2014, 12:58:25 am »
Two and a half hours enslaved

Certainly found out how uncomfortable the cinemas seats can be as a succession of characters flitting on and off screen broke up the shots of sunsets (or rises) through trees, and the beatings. Discovered a new cinematic motif to denote the passage of time - an actor staring off screen, largely motionless for quite a few minutes.

There were some stunning passages, and some great acting, but it didn't hang together comfortably.
It is simpler than it looks.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #3961 on: 16 February, 2014, 03:12:16 am »
The Reluctant Fundamentalist

About a bright young Harvard grad, fast-tracking his way in the NY financial world just prior to 9/11. Then a series of unrelated unpleasant incidents push him gradually back to his family in Pakistan and (seemingly) towards muslim fundamentalism. Although the two extremes he switches between are both nasty you can't help sympathising with him most of the time, whereas most of the other characters in the film are not very likeable.

Sunshine on Leith

Had been looking forward to this for a while, but it turned out to be toe-curlingly cringeworthy with very little going for it apart from a good scene at the end.

Wadjda

This is an absolutely amazing film. Shot entirely in Saudi Arabia by a Saudi director - the first such film ever, I believe. Set around a simple story - girl wants a bike, Mum says no, girl finds ways to earn the money - as a vehicle around which the film hangs. It is quite an eye-opener, though the film is carefully non-judgemental, it just shows what suburban life is in Riyadh, and you can make of it what you will. And on top of that it has all the things that make a good film. Highly recommended.

Some other background: when filming the outdoor scenes, the director could not be seen to interact with the male crew, so had to direct over intercom sitting in the back of a van watching screens. She only found the lead actress the week before filming began because so few families would allow their daughters to act. There are no cinemas in Saudi Arabia, but as of last year women are now permitted to ride bicycles.
Wadjda - is a great movie, saw it at the bicycle film festival.  Went in knowing nothing and was blown away.  Awesome movie.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #3962 on: 16 February, 2014, 10:57:45 pm »
Marius

First half of Daniel Auteuil's 2013 sepia-tinted remake of the Marcel Pagnol plays/films set in 30s Marseille, Marius and Fanny, on at the local arthouse.

A bit light on exploding helicopters and car chases but lots of typically French histrionics about relationships. Nice weepy ending too.

It was Victoire Belezy as Fanny who really carried it for me. Great performance and mind-bogglingly beautiful.

Daniel Auteuil was also great (of course) as Cesar, Marius's dad.

A nice cosy Sunday evening's entertainment. We definitely liked it enough that we intend to see Fanny when it's on at the same venue in a couple of weeks.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Andrew

« Reply #3963 on: 17 February, 2014, 08:53:38 am »
I've been very lucky in that I've seen some wonderful films over the last few months. Philomena, seen last night at the local fleapit, was yet another. Dame Judi Dench is a real pro, a master of her art. There's nothing extreme about her performances (in fact to some, she might seem always to be playing variations of herself) but her craft is in the nuance and subtlety. For me, she always convincing.

The film itself, well, yes, it 'moved' me, hugely. Let me just say I was furious at one point. Had I have been Martin Sixsmith, in that particular scene, I think I would have trashed the place! True forgiveness is indeed very hard, and it takes real strength of character.

12 Years a Slave is on this Thursday (the local is really excelling itself of late, showing new release movies in VO!) but I'm unsure. It's a long film and, despite it's accolades, one that might have me feeling like I'm being told what to feel.

fuzzy

« Reply #3964 on: 17 February, 2014, 09:37:43 am »
I revisited my youth on Saturday evening and watched my first ever X rated film (snuck in to the local flea pit when I was 15) when I put a charity shop find copy of Saturday Night Fever on the DVD player.

Happy days :)

citoyen

« Reply #3965 on: 17 February, 2014, 10:24:12 am »

Two and a half hours enslaved

That was on at the arthouse before Marius last night. Lots of earnest discussion among the crowd as they were leaving. Meh.

Chiwetel Ejiofor is a brilliant actor and invariably improves any film with his presence but it seems to be one of those films that you have to like for sheer worthiness alone, and that turns me right off it. (See also: Schindler's List)

citoyen

What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #3966 on: 17 February, 2014, 10:26:57 am »
I was surprised to really enjoy Sunshine on Leith. I'm in a minority I think.

Mamma Mia with Proclaimers songs. What's not to love?

Haven't actually seen it yet but I know I'll love it when I do. I fully expect it to be toe-curlingly cringeworthy. That's half the appeal.

citoyen

« Reply #3967 on: 17 February, 2014, 10:32:13 am »

[I also struggle to see why Superman needs rebooting every 5 years, or indeed what new ideas they think they're bringing to the thing. Grumble grumble ... ]

With you on that (and "reboots" in general). The last couple of Superman reboots have been unutterably tedious, overblown, pompous cack.

I doubt we'll ever see an improvement on the Reeve/Stamp Superman II.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #3968 on: 17 February, 2014, 10:38:21 am »
Running Man.

All the usual tropes plus.... (show producer to aide), "Get me the Justice Department, Entertainment Division. No forget that... get me the President's agent".

citoyen

« Reply #3969 on: 17 February, 2014, 10:39:33 am »

Robocop (the new one)...  It’s a 12A certificate

This is a big stumbling block for me. A clear sign they've compromised in order to target the teenage boy demographic. See also: Total Recall.

I was pleasantly surprised when the last Judge Dredd film was an 18. Ruthie's objections to that film noted and broadly agreed with, but at least it didn't tone it down for purely commercial reasons.

at times it’s kind of like a Coke Zero version of Robocop with the edgy hit of sugar rush and caffeine removed.

Sounds like it lives up to my worst fears then. Ho hum.

I love the original. I see no point in the remake.

citoyen

« Reply #3970 on: 17 February, 2014, 10:44:35 am »
While we're on the subject of remakes...

I saw the Coen brothers version of True Grit on telly at the weekend. Very good. Probably better than the original. At least, Jeff Bridges was a much better Rooster than old Marion.

Very Coen-y - you could tell it was one of theirs even if you didn't know (violence, humour, and bad men brought down by hubris). This is no bad thing in my book.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #3971 on: 17 February, 2014, 11:42:48 am »
Warm Bodies

(click to show/hide)
Pen Pusher

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3972 on: 17 February, 2014, 02:50:08 pm »
I watched Monument Men on Friday.

I thought it a very good film in all respects.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3973 on: 17 February, 2014, 03:10:17 pm »
I watched Love last night (currently on iPlayer).

A triumph of low-budget claustrophobia over actually making sense.  Well worth a watch if you enjoyed Moon, but expect your questions to remain unanswered.

« Reply #3974 on: 17 February, 2014, 03:14:31 pm »
I watched Monument Men on Friday.

I thought it a very good film in all respects.

I haven't seen it but understand an important repect in which it was not very good was truth.  Like the one where the Americans solved the enigma code, it accords to the Americans credit which is not owing to them for achievements that were, in fact, British.  Have I got this wrong.  None of that would stop it being a good film, of course!