Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951987 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6300 on: 13 April, 2016, 12:47:49 am »
Iron Sky

I'm unsure as to whether this is satire or just very very silly, but if all the Space Nazis looked like Renate1 then I for one would welcome our new Space Nazi overlords.

1: Although she reminded me quite a lot of Sally Phillips.  Sally Phillips as any kind of Nazi would be Just Wrong.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6301 on: 13 April, 2016, 07:56:43 am »
To be fair, film quality can be like the circles of politics and fashion - at the extreme ends of the good-bad spectrum they can merge into one.  The *very* worst films are often so bad it's genius.

This is normally apparent from the wide range of reviews and ratings - usually with few in the middle range, people either love it or don't get on with it at all. The same is true for films where a lot of people don't get the irony or the underlying point of the film, especially where the trailers make them think they're going to see an entirely different thing (like The Cabin in the Woods).

Knowing manages to score 3 point something on imdb, but scrolling through the first few pages of reviews there's not a single review offering more than one star, which is the minimum allowed.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

ian

« Reply #6302 on: 13 April, 2016, 10:06:23 am »
There's a trick to reading the reviews in this day and age. You have to winkle out the review intelligentsia and that's best found the critical end. It can be quite tricksy. I think I mentioned a book a while back (it's here). It lumbered under a weight of five star reviews. The people, they apparently loved it. Now I'm obviously a bit of connoisseur when it comes to the bad, worse, and the awful, and this was all them and tied with a bow. One of the worse things I've read. Even accounting for taste and lack thereof, you couldn't stretch beyond a single star. Maybe a second star out of pity.

I'm giving Left Behind 1 star for the soundtrack and Knowing -3 stars because it makes no sense*.

*OK, I'll bite. You're aliens. You can see the future. You, for some reason, want to save the Earthlings (I'd not bother) from solar cataclysm. How are you going to do it? Send some cryptic numbers back to the 1950s and hope someone figures it out. You're only taking kids and, unaccountably, rabbits. Squirrels are a no-no. You might note an immediate problem here. The world is ending in 2013. You've sent the message back to 1950ish. You're only taking kids. Of course, your message just might get buried in a time capsule (well, they can see the future, but they rescue loads of kids and rabbits at the end, so that's a lot of time capsules) to be opened fifty years later. Or you could have skipped this entire step. So there's a message for the kids. Except the kids don't figure it out. Nicolas Cage does. Becauses he's at MIT. Presumably because the campus police haven't managed to track him down yet. Having uncovered that message concerns disasters a plane falls on him. As predicted. Oh my. He's the only parent whose 10 minute drive to pick up his kid from school involves a lengthy stretch of congested interstate (the movie didn't seem sure whether it was supposed to be in Boston or NYC, and they're about four hours drive apart on a good day). Nic Cage tracks down the original 1950s recipient's (who the aliens have kindly driven to suicide with their message) daughter and grandchild. We're not sure why. After some more cinematic treading of water, our Nic decides the best way to avoid cataclysm is to go to the coordinates on the message, which given that all the other coordinates refer to disasters, wouldn't seem to be a good idea. The woman dies a car wreck because they're being chased by aliens (why?), fortunately her daughter isn't too traumatised by this. Anyway, the aliens arrive at the coordinates and save all the kids and rabbits. But not Nic (because they're only saving kids remember). None of the kids solved the puzzle. They could have whisked off the kids from anywhere. There was absolutely no reason for any of the movie or plot that went before. None of it leads to the ending. Nic goes back to his estranged father, a pastor as it's all hideously unsubtle millennialist rapture crap, and the world ends. Kaboom goes the remaining CGI budget. Kids and rabbits end up in Garden of Eden on alien planet.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6303 on: 16 April, 2016, 09:34:42 am »
The new Miles Davis movie has one of the cleverest bylines I've seen for a while:

"His story - with a little improvisation"

Groan. Can anyone beat that?

(it stars Don Cheadle and Ewan McGregor, which sounds rather promising. But then I rarely get on with music Bios  :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6304 on: 16 April, 2016, 11:40:41 pm »
Battle Mountain: Graeme Obree's Story

Crazy British shed-fettlers, we salute you!

I failed at Larrington-spotting, but did manage to spot Mr Obree when he came into the cinema for the Q&A afterwards, so it wasn't all bad.  You don't really appreciate quite how narrow Beastie is until you see it in the flesh.  Madness.

Cinema was packed with people other than the usual suspects, which explained the suspiciously empty bike racks.  I suspect publicity had been drummed up via local radio.

Well worth seeing if you get the opportunity.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6305 on: 17 April, 2016, 04:25:06 am »
I was the one driving the Mu(d)stang.  I think the end of my fag put in an appearance too.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6306 on: 17 April, 2016, 07:43:38 am »
Iron Sky

I'm unsure as to whether this is satire or just very very silly, but if all the Space Nazis looked like Renate1 then I for one would welcome our new Space Nazi overlords.

1: Although she reminded me quite a lot of Sally Phillips.  Sally Phillips as any kind of Nazi would be Just Wrong.

Is that the "Nazis on the moon" fillum, if so I thought it was a mildly entertaining hour and a bit.

Started watching Europa Report on Netflix yesterday. Stopped again. Don't bother.

Did watch die hard 2 again though. Mr Willis on his usual form, but not a patch on Arnie in Predator the night before.

And yes, the wife IS away ;D
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6307 on: 17 April, 2016, 08:45:05 am »
Batman-v-superman.

Hmmmm

Felt like episode one of a badly thought out TV series.

So much pointless stuff put in (I mean there are tribes in the Amazon that haven't seen civilisation for decades that know that Bruce Wayne's parents' death is what drives Batman) and loads left out (how convenient that Wonderwoman just happens to be in the area.)

Hopefully Suicide Squad won't be such a disappointment!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6308 on: 17 April, 2016, 09:13:57 am »
Started watching Europa Report on Netflix yesterday. Stopped again. Don't bother.

How very strange.  Netflix must be offering different selections in different countries. Europa Report isn't available here.  Copyright reasons, maybe: they aren't filtering out crap just because this is France.

(As I was writing the above one of the dogs let slip a silent deadly which reached my office as I reached the word crap. Film critics yet.)
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #6309 on: 17 April, 2016, 03:32:42 pm »
We watched a really weird one last night - a film call Bad Words - a dark comedy with Jason Bateman (apparently he directed it too) about a 40 year old misanthrope hijacking a load of schoolchildren's 'spelling bees' (do they really do that in the USA?  how dull).

Sounds absolutely crap - was actually really pretty good. Who'd a thunk it.  Very funny, quite adult at times, despite the loads of children in there - and quite charming in the end too.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

caerau

« Reply #6310 on: 17 April, 2016, 04:39:43 pm »
Iron Sky

Is that the "Nazis on the moon" fillum, if so I thought it was a mildly entertaining hour and a bit.

Did watch die hard 2 again though. Mr Willis on his usual form, but not a patch on Arnie in Predator the night before.

And yes, the wife IS away :-D

Ooh, this reminds me - I saw a trailer for that at the cinema a couple of years back - it looks shit, but just the sort of arch-silly shit that I love.  I must search this out.  Nazis in space - what can go wrong?  :-D ;)

On a similar model of masochism as Ian, we have decided against our better judgement to watch, as some Sunday afternoon shizzle, Pixels.  This could be a poor decision.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6311 on: 17 April, 2016, 04:41:16 pm »
Sarah Palin vs The Space Nazis has some cringeworthy bits, but on the whole it delivers.

caerau

« Reply #6312 on: 17 April, 2016, 07:28:10 pm »
Sarah Palin vs The Space Nazis has some cringeworthy bits, but on the whole it delivers.

Lol - now *that* sounds interesting.  :thumbsup:

We just laughed like drains all the way through Pixels - can't see why everyone is so down on it.

Might be because I am just smack-dab in the right age group for remembering all those video games I suppose.  Base the sequel on ZX spectrum games and no-one could be me at Lunar Jetman - raah.

There was a poor moment of English stereotyping and it was very juvenile but - dur - it's about 80s video games invading earth.  It was never going to be Dr Zhivago. 

ian

« Reply #6313 on: 18 April, 2016, 10:21:31 am »
Batman-v-superman.

Hmmmm

Felt like episode one of a badly thought out TV series.

So much pointless stuff put in (I mean there are tribes in the Amazon that haven't seen civilisation for decades that know that Bruce Wayne's parents' death is what drives Batman) and loads left out (how convenient that Wonderwoman just happens to be in the area.)

Hopefully Suicide Squad won't be such a disappointment!

Yeah, if I see another Batman origin story I'll probably get so angry that'll make yet another Spiderman movie.

I was moderately excited on the plane the other week to see they had Deadpool. I sat them, cued up my G&T and it turned out to be the trailer in the 'coming soon' category. Ended up watching one of those M. Night Shalamadingdong movies. He's still going. To be honest, it wasn't as bad as it could be. If you've seen The Happening. Now that's a comically bad movie.

And yes, American's love 'spelling bees' (not literally, it's easy to spell b-e-e-s). I assumed it was some kind of cult, but apparently not.

Netflix selection is country dependent. Basically, in the US you get everything, in the rest of the world varying levels of Blockbuster shelf desolation.

caerau

« Reply #6314 on: 18 April, 2016, 10:27:47 am »
The trouble with superhero origin stories is that makes he idea of falling into a vat of toxic waste or being exposed to cosmic rays (or what have you) almost an attractive idea  :-D

« Reply #6315 on: 18 April, 2016, 10:33:27 am »
The trouble with superhero origin stories is that makes he idea of falling into a vat of toxic waste or being exposed to cosmic rays (or what have you) almost an attractive idea  :-D
Watch Agents's of Shield. It's a lottery whether you explode into dust, or become super sexy person with superpowers.

The odds aren't good.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #6316 on: 18 April, 2016, 10:47:36 am »
I irradiated my foot with iodine-125 (amongst other things). My special powers to date seem limited to being reasonably good at guessing the time without referring to my watch. I'm not yet found many crime-fighting applications for this special power.

« Reply #6317 on: 18 April, 2016, 12:51:21 pm »
This Sporting Life.

If you are feeling too cheerful then watching this film will cure that.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6318 on: 18 April, 2016, 01:21:06 pm »

The antidote to this is the original "Robocop" when one of the bad guys crashed a van into a loadbof unspeakable gunge and turned into the kind of gloop you get in a pork pie six months past its sell-by date.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6319 on: 18 April, 2016, 01:30:48 pm »
The best superhero origin stories serve as a Frankensteinian Zeitgeist.  Electricity, radiation, genetic mutation... whatever seems powerful, poorly understood and scary at the time.

Batman's is timeless, and dull.

fuzzy

« Reply #6320 on: 18 April, 2016, 02:15:00 pm »
Not seen but heard a mention last night of [urlhttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt1612774/]Rubber[/url], a film about a homicidal car tyre.

I mean, WT actual F?

« Reply #6321 on: 18 April, 2016, 02:53:11 pm »
Not seen but heard a mention last night of [urlhttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt1612774/]Rubber[/url], a film about a homicidal car tyre.

I mean, WT actual F?
Let us not forget, a homicidal car tyre that gets a serious romantic crush on a girl.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6322 on: 18 April, 2016, 04:28:20 pm »
Hush.

I'm not usually one for slasher movies, but this one was great!  Mind, nobody from YACF would've even tried to ...

(click to show/hide)

Maybe don't watch this at night if you're a woman living alone.
Milk please, no sugar.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6323 on: 18 April, 2016, 05:55:31 pm »
Dr. Strangelove, for the first time in 25 years.  Shame they didn't make the wings of their B52 model flex properly, but it was pretty good all the same - and films from recent years haven't done much better.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6324 on: 18 April, 2016, 06:10:22 pm »
Hush.

I'm not usually one for slasher movies, but this one was great!  Mind, nobody from YACF would've even tried to ...

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Maybe don't watch this at night if you're a woman living alone.

It's the sort of thing[1] that makes me want to wire the house with motion sensors, redundant power supply, backup communications, etc.  Life's too short to be flinching at every strange noise when you're on your own.  Besides, I'm genre-savvy and know that I'm far too sensible, queer and unattractive to be the subject of a horror movie - the psychopath will pick me off without warning in the first act, probably when I'm looking for an inhaler.

[1] Not really, that's having been physically threatened by actual burglars.