Author Topic: Bird of prey in my garden! But what was it?  (Read 1414 times)

Bird of prey in my garden! But what was it?
« on: 31 August, 2009, 09:29:19 am »
Sorry there are NO pictures!  I was too engrossed watching this bird through binoculars to even think about taking a photo.

It was sitting on the fence at around 5pm and remained there for 20 minutes or so.  It was less than a foot tall, head and wings mostly mid-grey, breast a lighter shade with darker banding / stripes. 

At first we thought it was an owl (a Little Owl) but it didn't have a facial disc like most owls do and it had no obvious ears, although its eyes were rather forward facing.  It actually reminded me of falcon (perhaps a merlin) with its neck pulled in. 

Ours was a suburban garden 2 miles from Edinburgh city centre and although we often hear owls at night I've never seen one. 

Any ideas?

Jezza

Re: Bird of prey in my garden! But what was it?
« Reply #1 on: 31 August, 2009, 10:43:41 am »
Sparrowhawk?

« Reply #2 on: 31 August, 2009, 01:37:38 pm »
Possibly....if it was a bit more upright.  I only saw it from the front!

Still, not something you often see in a suburban garden!

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #3 on: 31 August, 2009, 02:01:16 pm »
We used to have a regular sparrowhawk visitor in the back garden when we first moved back to Portsmouth. It perched on the roof of the bird table and waited for dinner to fly in!

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #4 on: 07 September, 2009, 12:22:50 pm »
Sparrowhawk. Also surprisingly common as a garden bird.

« Reply #5 on: 07 September, 2009, 12:30:58 pm »
I've looked at several pictures on the net since spotting it and I'm now convinced it was a sparrowhawk.  And I saw it again on Saturday (or maybe one of it's cousins) flying above the garden being harassed by rooks...

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #6 on: 08 September, 2009, 06:34:28 pm »
I've looked at several pictures on the net since spotting it and I'm now convinced it was a sparrowhawk.  And I saw it again on Saturday (or maybe one of it's cousins) flying above the garden being harassed by rooks...
They have a very distinct flight style, flap-flap-glide, flap-flap-glide