Author Topic: Tour Series 2010  (Read 3134 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Tour Series 2010
« on: 15 April, 2010, 03:53:27 pm »
Bike Radar has the dates for this year.  They are:

* Round 1: Canary Wharf, 25 May
    * Round 2: Durham, 27 May
    * Round 3: Portsmouth, 1 June
    * Round 4: Exeter, 3 June
    * Round 5: Southport, 8 June
    * Round 6: Kettering, 10 June
    * Round 7: Peterborough, 15 June
    * Round 8: Stoke-on-Trent, 17 June
    * Round 9: Chester, 21 June
    * Round 10: Woking, 24 June

I'd go to the Durham one except that I can't make that evening.  I may make it down to the Peterborough one, though. 

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
Re: Tour Series 2010
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2010, 05:41:02 pm »
I'll be at Peterborough (again). Last year's was great fun.

I'll also be manning the CTC Peterborough stall throughout the day but hope to get someone else to cover for me while the actual racing is on.
a great mind thinks alike

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2010, 05:46:24 pm »
Southport again - cool. Racing down Lord Street, if only I still lived there instead of 4000 miles away! I'd love to see it.

« Reply #3 on: 15 April, 2010, 07:27:04 pm »
Saw it in Exeter last year and really enjoyed it, but unfortch I'm gonna be in leftpondia this time around. Ho Hum.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #4 on: 26 April, 2010, 07:46:41 pm »
Another 'UK' event in which Scottish stages are conspicuous by their absence.
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #5 on: 26 April, 2010, 09:04:54 pm »
Code: [Select]
I think you will find Wales and Ireland are also absent ;D

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #6 on: 26 April, 2010, 09:09:34 pm »

Obviously no towns in Scotland (or anywhere else) were willing to pay to host the event because that's how it works.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 11 May, 2010, 09:01:38 am »
Just saw the banners advertising it today.  Last year was great fun, will definitely be back.

Ooh, the amateur race teams!  Squee! 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #8 on: 11 May, 2010, 09:38:53 am »
I watched it in Chester last year and it was a race. I'll be going again this year.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9 on: 16 May, 2010, 07:25:09 pm »
Anyone going to watch at Canary Wharf? Looks like fun. I might give it a go.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Clandy

« Reply #10 on: 26 May, 2010, 07:20:14 pm »
If anyone is interested, coverage of last night's opener at Canary Wharf is being shown on ITV4 at 7.00pm tonight. (yes I know I left it a bit late!)

« Reply #11 on: 26 May, 2010, 07:22:04 pm »
If anyone is interested, coverage of last night's opener at Canary Wharf is being shown on ITV4 at 7.00pm tonight. (yes I know I left it a bit late!)

No one has missed much. It's been on for over 20 minutes and racing hasn't started yet! Just a glorified Canary Wharf ad.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #12 on: 26 May, 2010, 08:24:05 pm »
I made the observation to Mrs. jogler that there was more advertising & talking heads than race time.
Having said that,what about that Malcholm Elliot....49 y.o. & comes second in a sprint finish

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #13 on: 27 May, 2010, 11:42:01 am »
Damn, I totally forgot about this. Mind you, it doesn't sound like I missed much.  :-\

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #14 on: 28 May, 2010, 10:27:13 pm »
I made the observation to Mrs. jogler that there was more advertising & talking heads than race time.
Having said that,what about that Malcholm Elliot....49 y.o. & comes second in a sprint finish

He won the Durham race.

« Reply #15 on: 28 May, 2010, 10:38:27 pm »
I saw that tonight on ITV4 at 7pm.  It was well exciting.  Malcolm Elliot = legend.

« Reply #16 on: 29 May, 2010, 07:24:31 am »

I saw that tonight on ITV4 at 7pm.  It was well exciting.  Malcolm Elliot = legend.

The fight into the last corner was a bit lairy, but it was a good race a  very good course and a great win for an old bloke :thumbsup:

« Reply #17 on: 29 May, 2010, 07:50:52 am »

I saw that tonight on ITV4 at 7pm.  It was well exciting.  Malcolm Elliot = legend.

The fight into the last corner was a bit lairy, but it was a good race a  very good course and a great win for an old bloke :thumbsup:

It looked like he had the line though and it was the younger rider that was squeezing in, don't you think?

« Reply #18 on: 29 May, 2010, 07:56:43 am »

It looked like he had the line though and it was the younger rider that was squeezing in, don't you think?

Yes thats a fair description of it, but it could all of so easily ended in tears, but fabulous racing.  The young lad who came third put in a good race too, tough little course that, Durham is lots of things but it certainly isnt flat!

« Reply #19 on: 29 May, 2010, 08:07:39 am »
One thing that really surprised me though is the way the barriers have those metal feet on them and how they stick out into the course.  The road was very narrow in places and the legs just made it worse. 

The commentator said that Dean Downing did not fancy that course and was replaced / subbed with someone else on the Rapha team.

I'm surprised that Health and Safety did not have something to say about that.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #20 on: 29 May, 2010, 05:56:32 pm »
They were like that last year in Exeter.  Regular crowd barriers. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #21 on: 01 June, 2010, 09:43:39 am »
I don't think it says a lot for road cycling in the UK when Malcolm Elliot's still winning races at his age.

I really want to like the Tour Series but find the TV coverage really boring. Hugh Porter's annoying commentary doesn't help.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #22 on: 19 June, 2010, 09:14:20 am »
I've caught up this week with all the ones we missed while on holiday - thank you ITV Player  :thumbsup:

The stand out moment for me so far is Elliot's overtaking manouevre in Durham - what a star !  Yes it does imply that the rest of the field can't be that strong for a near 49 year old to beat them.   But on the positive side that's because most of the UK's top 25 riders are elsewhere, riding in pro teams on the Continent, and that can only be good.

I am a bit disappointed with the lack of crowds.  I think this might be in part to the location of the circuits, which in several cases appear to be tucked away in quiet little corners rather than in the main shopping areas.  I don't think that they compare that well against the Kelloggs crits of the 1980's.

Still, that won't stop me watching the final few events with great interest  :)
Aero but not dynamic

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #23 on: 23 June, 2010, 08:03:03 pm »
The latest round in Chester was excellent, for my money the best of the series  :thumbsup:
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #24 on: 24 June, 2010, 10:10:55 pm »
went to the woking stage today on the way home. for a 1.4km loop they chose the most undulating bits of Woking.

Good race and the motorbike kept grounding his exhaust!!