Author Topic: Tubeless for Dummies  (Read 194246 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: Tubeless for Dummies
« Reply #925 on: 24 March, 2019, 03:50:33 pm »
had a slow deflation today from a piece of wire. the hole could not seal with the wire in it as the sealant cannot attach itself to smooth/slippery foreign objects. removed the wire with a door key*, pumped up the tyre (with the puncture at the bottom) and all was well.

* will need to include a pointy tool or a small knife into my saddle bag for the future.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #926 on: 24 March, 2019, 05:46:27 pm »
Which worms have you found best?

Sorry missed this, Maxalami ones. 2 sizes, I have often cut down the larger as well as use the smaller.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #927 on: 30 March, 2019, 10:34:49 pm »
Today I tried to fit a pair of tyres - same type and size- to a pair  of factory prepped rims - same type and size. Rear first, tyre on, then a blast from the Joe Blow booster, and the tyre seats nicely and stays well inflated for several hours. Front, tried three times, no joy, just wouldn’t seat. CO2 blast did it, but deflated in minutes. Tried another tyre (same type & size) same result. Eventually replaced the factory tape, and bingo. What a pain.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

CSX

Tubeless for Dummies
« Reply #928 on: 31 March, 2019, 09:36:42 pm »
CO2 blast did it

I heard that it’s better not to use CO2 canisters with tubeless, because it ruins the sealant.

« Reply #929 on: 01 April, 2019, 12:02:51 pm »
CO2 blast did it

I heard that it’s better not to use CO2 canisters with tubeless, because it ruins the sealant.

Yes, I know. This was just the preliminary seating of the bead - I like to check how things are going before getting messy with sealant.

As for the CO2 thing, as far as I can tell it's not exposure to high concentrations of CO2 that are the problem, but that the inevitable thermal shock of the cooling expanded CO2  can cause polymerisation of the sealant. Recommendation is, if using CO2, to set the wheel with the valve at the top, and leave time for sealant to flow down to the bottom, so keeping the cold CO2 away from the liquid sealant.

In my case CO2 is a last resort, hence my checking / replacing the taping, so I can manage with just the air-shot pump when it comes to seating the tyre with sealant in.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #930 on: 01 April, 2019, 10:23:18 pm »
Been a few weeks since I did my fishing wire, tubeless repair kit and shoegoo bodge of the tyre back together, and it's held up fine with tubes.

I'm going to try running it tubeless again this week, we'll see how it goes.

YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #931 on: 03 April, 2019, 07:42:34 pm »
Evening all. I've just been looking at my rear Hutchinson Fusion 5 and found at least a dozen cuts in the 1-5mm range. I've definitely had three punctures which sealed, albeit after fairly significant sealant loss and goodness knows how many others that I never noticed.

My question is, is there a point at which you consider your tyres to have been compromised by so many nicks and cuts that it is time to swap it out? Do you just keep running it, provided it holds pressure?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #932 on: 03 April, 2019, 08:26:07 pm »
Evening all. I've just been looking at my rear Hutchinson Fusion 5 and found at least a dozen cuts in the 1-5mm range. I've definitely had three punctures which sealed, albeit after fairly significant sealant loss and goodness knows how many others that I never noticed.

My question is, is there a point at which you consider your tyres to have been compromised by so many nicks and cuts that it is time to swap it out? Do you just keep running it, provided it holds pressure?

It depends.  Let's consider normal tubed clinchers first.  If they are Schwalbe Marathon sort-of-tyres then look for obvious big cuts but ignore the small stuff.  If they are Ultragatorskins then they only start to be a problem when the casing is so worn that the carcass is visible. On lighter, faster tyres like Michelin Pro I try and replace them if I count more than 4 nicks.  So there is a lot of variabilities depending on the type of tyre

On tubeless, if I have a tyre that is already quite durable like a Schwalbe S1 (now rebranded as a G1 speed)  I am happy riding about with huge holes.  Nicks - like on the tubed versions are not an issue.  On the lighter tubeless tyres, I seem to be able to get away with waiting for major wear like the carcass becoming visible.  But that is on the ultralight Schwalbe Ones, not with a medium weight tyre

So I'd say that the rule of thumb is that nicks do not matter.  I suppose if you have a tyre with a nick and you meet the wrong piece of glass then your chance of a massive, unsealable hole is slightly higher.  But the type of small holes that nicks more typically allow to happen aren't a problem if you have sealant

bludger

« Reply #933 on: 03 April, 2019, 11:40:41 pm »

I would keep running it but you can give yourself some peace of mind by using some tubeless repair patches on the inside. It's a bit of a job to unmount, clean, patch, re-seat and seal them but they do the job. https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOBARKL/barbieri-large-tubeless-repair-kit £6

Ban cars.

bludger

« Reply #934 on: 08 April, 2019, 02:43:41 pm »
Just mounted mine using an extra 2 layers of rim tape per wheel. Sealed up marvelous. OKO magic milk hi fibre sealant, panaracer gravel king sk tyres. Think the jobs a goodun

Ban cars.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #935 on: 08 April, 2019, 03:04:43 pm »
I finally got around to installing tubeless tyres onto my tubeless rims but couldn't seat them with a trackpump and couldn't find any CO2 cartridges in the garage. Rather than put the other tyres back on I put latex tubes inside and added sealant, so far so good, 13 mile hilly TT,  200km DIY and a 140km cyclo on Flanders cobbles all well inside expected times. I may leave them as they are now as a long term experiment.

bludger

« Reply #936 on: 08 April, 2019, 03:18:57 pm »
I think the airshot is the way to go. Though my secret weapon is to mount the tyre with a tube in first, and then take the tube out so that half the tyre is already mounted making the job much easier.

This is the one I use https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/birzman-pump-up-tubeless-tire-pump-12l-220-psi-15-bar/?aid=7dcbad55a2d2bf24ffb81694d3167947&pid=10004&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4qvlBRDiARIsAHme6ovgbg2cWKMEcJ4PBqB-phfP0PTWSlzz_lajF-Q3tRUpP6uV9dDt0WMaArHLEALw_wcB&wt_mc=uk.pla.google_uk.775755312.44713492950.185511308766

Ban cars.

« Reply #937 on: 08 April, 2019, 04:01:57 pm »
I second the airshot, got one (https://www.bike24.com/p2205538.html) and it has made fitting tyres a much more enjoyable experience.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #938 on: 08 April, 2019, 05:40:40 pm »
so far i've managed to inflate and seat the tyres with the track pump every time (valve core needs to be removed). i had a pair of wheels where the deflated tyre bead would move towards the centre well - in that case i pressed my finger over the valve after pumping the tyre up and quickly screwed the core in, not letting all of the air out. no problem so far.

« Reply #939 on: 09 April, 2019, 12:37:09 pm »
Does anyone clean out of dried sealant regularly or just leave to get all gooey and weblike?

I've had horizons on for 18 months now and just top it up. No problems but I was wondering if anyone else has a regular clean out and tyre inspect.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #940 on: 09 April, 2019, 03:28:21 pm »
Does anyone clean out of dried sealant regularly or just leave to get all gooey and weblike?

I've had horizons on for 18 months now and just top it up. No problems but I was wondering if anyone else has a regular clean out and tyre inspect.

Only if I am patching internally... else it just stays in there as added puncture proofing :)

I'd be happy to be getting 18 months out of my tyres  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #941 on: 09 April, 2019, 05:37:42 pm »
Good point! I've been really happy with them. I've tried other tubeless tyres and the rear lasts three months if I'm lucky before failing.

bludger

« Reply #942 on: 11 April, 2019, 09:03:32 pm »
Rear tyre came unstuck from the rim 70 km into a ride today which was very annoying. Front wheel is fine. I think the one on the rear needs more rim tape to resist stresses of weight so I'm going to make do with an inner tube until I get home.

Ban cars.

« Reply #943 on: 20 April, 2019, 11:21:08 am »
Fitted Hutchinson Override 38s on Kinlin XR22Ts yesterday (Stans valves and Doc Blue).  Used an innertube overnight to get them to fit, but then went straight for inflation - no soapy water or removing the valve core - fit fine with just a track pump.  Held pressure overnight, will try them on a ride tomorrow - but so far super easy.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

simonp

« Reply #944 on: 24 May, 2019, 04:14:29 pm »
Got some new wheels with hookless rims.

Hadn't realised but my default tyre choice isn't compatible (might work, might blow off, not wanting to take the risk). Got some Schwalbe One Pros which are said to be ok on now, and they hold air.

Ben T

« Reply #945 on: 01 June, 2019, 04:54:30 pm »
Noticed rear tyre losing air slightly faster than it should, going from about 70 to 30 psi in about 24 hours but not drastically enough to have to put a tube in, it was rideable on about 30 psi. Took it off and there was hardly any sealant left, and pumped it right up and noticed air whooshing out of a very small cut about 3mm in length - which I thought should be small enough for the sealant to seal. Topped it up with a full load of new sealant and sure enough it now holds air.
I thought I would actually be able to see really clearly on the inside of the tyre the bits where the sealant has plugged a hole, but I can't really - but the above shows me it doing its job.

simonp

« Reply #946 on: 01 June, 2019, 10:24:41 pm »
My rear tyre lost most of its pressure after leaving the bike in the car overnight. It wasn’t sealing around the valve and took a bit of adjustment to get right but now holding air fine. They say not to over tighten the valve but under tightening means it can get a knock when you put air in and break the seal. You have to bounce the tyre with the valve at the bottom to get it to reseal then.

bludger

« Reply #947 on: 01 June, 2019, 10:27:52 pm »
I've put another two wraps of tape on the rims (so now there's the native tape plus 4 extra wraps of planet x tubeless tape) and re-mounted tubelessly. If this doesn't work in the long run then I'm going to be very annoyed.

Ban cars.

bludger

« Reply #948 on: 02 June, 2019, 03:01:12 pm »
So it did fail. However this time I think it's because of holes in the tyres which I'd sustained when running tubes. They sealed up fine when installing and during a ride to a mates birthday yesterday but came apart during a proper ride today. Very annoying but what can you do. I could try again with some tubeless repair patches but tbh just can't be arsed any more. Might try again when/if I get round to buying a nicer set of wheels and new rubber.

Ban cars.

simonp

« Reply #949 on: 03 June, 2019, 03:22:58 pm »
So it did fail. However this time I think it's because of holes in the tyres which I'd sustained when running tubes. They sealed up fine when installing and during a ride to a mates birthday yesterday but came apart during a proper ride today. Very annoying but what can you do. I could try again with some tubeless repair patches but tbh just can't be arsed any more. Might try again when/if I get round to buying a nicer set of wheels and new rubber.

What sort of pressure were you running? Road tubeless suits larger tyre sizes w/lower pressures, I think.