Author Topic: You know you're middle aged when  (Read 186676 times)

Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Reply #125 on: 17 May, 2015, 04:57:04 pm »
You're older than your parents were when you left school.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #126 on: 17 May, 2015, 05:53:39 pm »
You're older than your parents were when you left school.

I passed that stage in 1998/2004...

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #127 on: 18 May, 2015, 01:51:28 pm »
As "juvenile" is young and "senile" is old, it's obvious the middle aged is just "nile".

I think you're denial, but that's a river in Africa.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Chris S

« Reply #128 on: 18 May, 2015, 01:57:51 pm »
I see nobody's yet mentioned the Special Invite and accompanying Free Gift you get from the NHS when you turn 55.

Standards on YACF are definitely slipping...

« Reply #129 on: 18 May, 2015, 02:03:28 pm »
Should I look forward to this rare treat in 2018 or by then will this gubbishment have abolished any semblance of care and preventative medicine unless you have private subscription?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #130 on: 18 May, 2015, 02:08:02 pm »
I see nobody's yet mentioned the Special Invite and accompanying Free Gift you get from the NHS when you turn 55.

I forgot about that!
It's nearly 2 years ago...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #131 on: 18 May, 2015, 02:21:01 pm »

We got those when we were 60. https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=84314.msg1724498#msg1724498 refers.

Young people nowadays don't know they are born...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #132 on: 18 May, 2015, 03:14:13 pm »
Your kids finished his first year at Uni and you've just waved him off for his first job interview (for an internship this summer). Seems like five minutes ago he was clinging to my leg when I dropped him off at primary school.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #133 on: 18 May, 2015, 03:39:08 pm »

We got those when we were 60. https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=84314.msg1724498#msg1724498 refers.

Young people nowadays don't know they are born...

Yes great, isn't it?  I love it.  Tired of receiving shit through the post all my life, it felt good to reverse the process.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #134 on: 11 June, 2015, 03:22:20 pm »
When I left Montreal for Paris, some 16 years ago, I took one of my two custom-built racing bikes with me, and left the other there. My younger brother who lives in Montreal is now still riding this second bike. Last week the bike needed some maintenance, so my brother brought it to his LBS. The young mechanic that was there said: "Oh! What a nice vintage bike". I really regret I was not there to reply: "Young man, this is NOT a vintage bike. This is a bike I bought brand new". Well, it was over 25 years ago  :(

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #135 on: 28 December, 2015, 01:25:11 pm »
...Radio 3 plays three tracks from your determinedly non-classical music library in under twenty-four hours :-\
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #136 on: 28 December, 2015, 03:18:26 pm »
You spend your Christmas money on a slow cooker and a Le Creuset pan.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #137 on: 28 December, 2015, 03:32:16 pm »
Your rheumatologist greets you in the street.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #138 on: 28 December, 2015, 04:59:15 pm »
You google the MTB in the garage and the 1st search is from retrobike  ;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #139 on: 28 December, 2015, 06:27:14 pm »
Prompted by that, I've googled the bike I bought when I was 17. While the images are all of what I remember (with the 4th from, yes, retrobike and the 7th this very forum – GruB back in 2010) the results are all of a 20"-wheel children's mtb.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #140 on: 31 December, 2015, 11:34:14 am »
Dunno about the rest of youse but I used diligently to buy "Sounds" every week.  And sneer at the Trendies who read the NME.  And at the Saddoes who bought "Melody Maker".  And especially at the ["Removed after taking legal advice" - Ed.] "Record Mirror" buyers.

I did once buy a copy of "Smash Hits", unless it was "Flexi-Pop", but only because there was a Motörhead flexi-disc on the cover.

I've just been reminded that I used to save up and buy tapes in woolworths and whsmiths, and later CD's especially putting them on pre order. Now I just browse an app and get what I want, only occasionally I miss shuffling through racks in a shop trying to avoid the creepy old men in leather jackets.

The creepy old men in leather jackets were probably wishing someone would invent a way of buying music that didn't involve being made to feel like creepy old men by kids in music stores. Then BOOM - iTunes :)
(not that I use iTunes, I'm not creepy. Or old. Yet.)
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #141 on: 17 January, 2016, 11:55:23 am »
... you're trying to get ready for a wedding, and you need to do a sort of contortion act with your reading glasses to put your makeup on, and you're no longer flexible enough to do up the zip on the back of your dress, and you have to wait till you get there and discreetly ask a mate to do you up in the loo.

::-)

eta:  thus blowing your cover.  Because you're wearing control underwear underneath the dress.   :-[
Milk please, no sugar.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #142 on: 17 January, 2016, 04:40:48 pm »
I dunno, I reckon you can't be middle aged if you're young enough to "ask a mate to do you up in the loo"!  :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #143 on: 17 January, 2016, 04:49:07 pm »
I know I'm middle-aged; two of my younger siblings already have grandchildren and the next sibling will hopefully become a grandmother next month.

So now three younger siblings are grandparents and some of my former classmates have BIG grandchildren.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #144 on: 03 February, 2016, 09:07:57 pm »
... you get really annoyed by poorly punctuated tattoos on the unconscious people that you're looking after in the operating theatre.

Seriously people, spellcheck that tat and get someone to proofread it before you put it on your skin. It's not difficult.

What is difficult is resisting the urge to correct that shit with a biro before they wake up.
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #145 on: 03 February, 2016, 09:08:51 pm »
;D

Go on, you know you want to :demon:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #146 on: 03 February, 2016, 09:13:15 pm »
surely the definition of being middle aged is when you see someone with tattoos and think: aren't you a bit old to have those?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #147 on: 03 February, 2016, 09:36:05 pm »
... you get really annoyed by poorly punctuated tattoos on the unconscious people that you're looking after in the operating theatre.

Seriously people, spellcheck that tat and get someone to proofread it before you put it on your skin. It's not difficult.

What is difficult is resisting the urge to correct that shit with a biro before they wake up.

POTD!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #148 on: 03 February, 2016, 11:01:21 pm »
You're knackered because one of them refuses to go to bed at a reasonable hour, the younger one won't sleep through the night and the bed wetting is becoming a laundry logistics nightmare.

This is the parents.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

« Reply #149 on: 03 February, 2016, 11:59:38 pm »

A tattoo shop set up near us a couple of years ago.  A couple of weeks before they opened, they unveiled the sign: "Tattoo's".  I pointed this out to the owner in a friendly manner, thinking he might not want his victims to be put off.  He was either too thick to understand or knew perfectly well that his victims wouldn't know any better.  It's still there, unaltered, when all it would have taken was three square inches of paint.  B'erk.