Author Topic: Out but not back 400  (Read 5970 times)

Re: Out but not back 400
« Reply #25 on: 20 July, 2017, 04:58:33 pm »
Here's a provisional route.

Interesting.

Having done London to Exeter-ish in ~300km I was wondering what the diversion would be to bring it up to 400km.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #26 on: 23 July, 2017, 05:42:18 am »
If the date is good I'm in.

Me too. Great idea.

Me three. I love one-way routes.

« Reply #27 on: 24 August, 2017, 08:41:11 pm »
It's now a real event, next year on the 8th June.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #28 on: 25 August, 2017, 01:41:12 am »
Have you ridden that route into London? The a5 is quite an ugly road. Not my first choice. It may be audax friendly in that it's straight so limits controls but busy road with many traffic lights ugly high streets.

I much prefer Staines Sudbury  Hampton Kingston Richmond park  Putney bridge embankment.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #29 on: 25 August, 2017, 09:05:55 am »
Have you ridden that route into London? The a5 is quite an ugly road. Not my first choice. It may be audax friendly in that it's straight so limits controls but busy road with many traffic lights ugly high streets.

I much prefer Staines Sudbury  Hampton Kingston Richmond park  Putney bridge embankment.

Well if there are no controls required in the section you refer to then I'm sure you will be free to ride the route you mention.

Bravo to Ian for putting on the event.

Brakeless

• Brakeless
« Reply #30 on: 25 August, 2017, 09:34:40 am »

Brilliant. Pretty certain I'll be in.

I don't want to be too negative but if Buckingham is the last control I won't be going anywhere near the A5 into London.  Im north London based and know these roads pretty well. I'll be heading slightly east and down the A1000 which is probably the best direct north/south route  in and out of London on a bike.

« Reply #31 on: 25 August, 2017, 09:50:01 am »

I don't want to be too negative but if Buckingham is the last control I won't be going anywhere near the A5 into London.  Im north London based and know these roads pretty well. I'll be heading slightly east and down the A1000 which is probably the best direct north/south route  in and out of London on a bike.

I've yet to ride it, so there may be minor revisions to the route. 

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #32 on: 25 August, 2017, 11:41:04 am »

I've yet to ride it, so there may be minor revisions to the route.

Great idea. How about a 2pm start, and ending at a riverside pub, for example http://www.traveljoyhostels.com/untitled-col3 , which ha a hostel for sleeping above as well!
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #33 on: 26 August, 2017, 07:29:52 pm »
"How about a 2pm start?"
This might be fine for the Londoner/SEer who wants to go (a short way) home but doesn't really work so well for the majority of folk who will likely have to get home by train (eg a few hours back to Devon (say)) and for whom another night away (hostelling joy) is not agreeable.
Getting to Devon ready to start at noon is (as we've identified upthread) entirely doable: 2pm would just mean some additional hanging around (or give those with good train connections to Exeter a lie in).
The linked hostel reception is open 24/7 though so would work as the arrivee, even for those who get there at 4am, and having a focus for after ride recovery is a good idea (cf Marylebone Station).

Ben T

« Reply #34 on: 26 August, 2017, 10:29:28 pm »
Of the midday ish start 400s I've done I found I prefer earlier to be better, then you're not twiddling your thumbs after breakfast waiting for the off

« Reply #35 on: 27 August, 2017, 09:10:02 am »
With a 12pm start on a Saturday and on a 20 hour pace for the event, you would be on the A5 section around 7am.  The road would be pretty quiet then though there would be a lot of cars parked in the bus lanes.  12pm start gives the option of arriving by train on the day though I would probably travel the night before.  Full value riders would finish on Sunday by 3pm which gives a better chance of getting home if a train was needed.

« Reply #36 on: 27 August, 2017, 09:34:14 am »
According to the calendar, start is mid-day Friday with a finish by 3pm Saturday.

« Reply #37 on: 27 August, 2017, 11:00:17 am »
What are the audax hotels like in the Cotswolds?

« Reply #38 on: 27 August, 2017, 12:46:20 pm »
According to the calendar, start is mid-day Friday with a finish by 3pm Saturday.
Oh dear, have I cocked the date up?  Better go and look...

...now Saturday as intended.

« Reply #39 on: 28 August, 2017, 10:04:48 pm »
We organised one in the Netherlands a few weeks before LEL. Relatively few riders participated but those that did absolutely enjoyed it.

« Reply #40 on: 29 August, 2017, 05:37:55 pm »
I've just completed an "out but not back 600", a DIY Perm finishing at York Station, as this has an easy regular train back over (well, under) the Pennines back to my start point.  It would have worked brilliantly if I hadn't overlooked the fact that there was Racing at York and there was no way I was going to get on those overcrowded trains with my bike.  I managed to get back home eventually using local stopping trains, one helpfully labelled as "Huddersfield via".  It turned out that the via was Halifax, which is a long way round.

« Reply #41 on: 29 August, 2017, 06:15:24 pm »
I've just completed an "out but not back 600", a DIY Perm finishing at York Station, as this has an easy regular train back over (well, under) the Pennines back to my start point.  It would have worked brilliantly if I hadn't overlooked the fact that there was Racing at York and there was no way I was going to get on those overcrowded trains with my bike.  I managed to get back home eventually using local stopping trains, one helpfully labelled as "Huddersfield via".  It turned out that the via was Halifax, which is a long way round.

Which reminds me I have to sort out a train for a 1200k return.