Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 463886 times)

Phil W

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #3075 on: 28 January, 2020, 06:08:29 pm »
From what I’ve read. Early onset type 2 diabetes is rising massively in the younger generations.  It’s one of the reasons that life expectancy is dropping for the first time in years.  The younger generation is the first generation in a long time likely to live less years than their parents.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3076 on: 30 January, 2020, 11:32:16 pm »
https://www.facebook.com/cancercouncilaustralia/videos/185114115923809/

Feeling rather proud of someone in that video...  :)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #3077 on: 01 February, 2020, 07:03:42 am »
Get well soon
Don't die of BOREDOM!

Boredom hits after just a couple of weeks on this low residue diet..

What I'd give for a nice bowl of Scott's Porridge Oats (not allowed) , brown bread toast, and a nice crispy skinned baked potato.😑

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3078 on: 01 February, 2020, 11:36:50 am »
You have my sympathy...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3079 on: 01 February, 2020, 04:53:04 pm »
And mine.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3080 on: 02 February, 2020, 12:17:40 am »
I had a nerve block on my shoulder (supra-scapular) on 14th Dec, kicked in on 15th, was like MAGIC! I could lie on my left side, sleep better and 50-75% of my shoulder/back/neck pain including some of the right sided stuff went away.

It lasted a whole 3 weeks :(.  (which is waaay shorter than they said it would)

Getting into pain management without clashing with work (I lose pay if I don't get to office 2 hours away or other appointments) is proving challenging. I fear it'll be mid-March before I get to talk to anyone.

Pain consultant didn't want me on higher doses of celecoxib (the ones that had any effect, the lower dose was useless).

I'm really struggling, severe pain between 2-4 days a week where I can't sleep and large amounts of codeine wreck my ability to function/work. Diazepam helps a bit but I've rightly got very limited amounts.

If the final pain mgt appt is more than 6 weeks away I'm going back to my GP for ideas cos this is stupid. Also worried pain management won't do radio ablation if it didn't last long enough... Annoying, cos I never expected it to work at all, but to work for tiny periods of time then revert again is almost worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3081 on: 02 February, 2020, 01:31:06 pm »
Oh dear!

I really hope you get some sensible input ASAP!

It's folk like you who make me realise how lucky I am to be pain-free.

Thinking of you...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3082 on: 05 February, 2020, 11:37:02 am »
Called El Prez to set up a ride for this afternoon: "Nah - streaming cold, sore throat, I need antibiotics."  He has an old-fashioned doc who'll probably give him them, too, just in case it's bacterial.  :facepalm:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3083 on: 05 February, 2020, 07:38:31 pm »
They were advertising for a Locum Consultant Neurologist in Harrow at the top of my Freegle mail this evening.
I'm not qualified to do this in any way but it's local but I thought I'd clicky on the linky out of idle curiosity.

No such post appeared listed when I did.

Freegle seems to be an unusual place to advertise for a neurologist...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3084 on: 05 February, 2020, 09:44:26 pm »
Freegle seems to be an unusual place to advertise for a neurologist...

I blame brexit.  Or software.  Ultimately, they're both a collection of bad decisions that remains inexplicably popular.

« Reply #3085 on: 08 February, 2020, 07:30:06 pm »
Trivial really, but I'm suffering with some sort of viral lurgi whose main effect is severe lethargy, although it started out as muscle & joint aches, and I'm developing a bit of a cough. The worst bit is that the persistent earache I've had for months is now really uncomfortable, but not to worry I'm seeing the ENT people in...... April.
As the lady said 'I will survive'.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #3086 on: 08 February, 2020, 09:24:30 pm »
Sounds like what I've had for the last 4 weeks.   The cough & sore throat have almost gone, but a few kms of walking today left me needing a 3 hour lie down.   I'm sleeping about 9-10 hours a night as well, which is a lot for me. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3087 on: 09 February, 2020, 08:30:07 am »
Yesterday, El Prez mentioned that while he was reading the paper he suddenly found himself not knowing where he was or what he was doing, and he was "incapable of reading two letters". Then the spell passed and he felt OK.

Sounds to me like a transient ischaemic attack.  I told him he should talk to the doc about it, but he said he had done last time it happened(!) and the doc just said "wait and see what happens".  His doc is the same old (or young, I don't know) fogey who gives antibiotics on demand.  El Prez went on to say that he'd had lots of such spells for years.

So does the panel reckon he's heading for a fully-fledged stroke, or is there a less dramatic explanation?  I'd very much like to point his nose in the right direction and give him a boot up the arse.

« Reply #3088 on: 09 February, 2020, 08:30:30 am »
I seem to have the lurgy too. I’ve had about 3 weeks of cough, that was almost better. Friday night I was feeling not right, and went to bed early. Which then led to over 24 hours of hot and cold, no appetite, coughing again. Perfectly timed to coincide with Miss Dan the Elder’s birthday. I feel a bit better today, but not full of get up and go.

« Reply #3089 on: 10 February, 2020, 10:43:46 am »
Yesterday, El Prez mentioned that while he was reading the paper he suddenly found himself not knowing where he was or what he was doing, and he was "incapable of reading two letters". Then the spell passed and he felt OK.

Sounds to me like a transient ischaemic attack.  I told him he should talk to the doc about it, but he said he had done last time it happened(!) and the doc just said "wait and see what happens".  His doc is the same old (or young, I don't know) fogey who gives antibiotics on demand.  El Prez went on to say that he'd had lots of such spells for years.

So does the panel reckon he's heading for a fully-fledged stroke, or is there a less dramatic explanation?  I'd very much like to point his nose in the right direction and give him a boot up the arse.

Petit Mal Epilepsy?

« Reply #3090 on: 10 February, 2020, 12:59:25 pm »
I had similar symptoms with migraines.

Amateur internet doctors shouldn't diagnose patients. Get a professional in.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3091 on: 10 February, 2020, 01:50:51 pm »
Agree re internet diagnosis but the guy's doctor is not awe-inspiring.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #3092 on: 10 February, 2020, 02:16:55 pm »
I am FINALLY going to the sports centre down the road from my newish work to sign up and start training for sport properly.

I will be lifting weights 3x weekly and doing some proper cardio fitness work - either on a wattbike (hopefully they'll have ones with SPDs and bluetooth connectivity) or my old friend the Concept 2 rowing machine.

Exciting!
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

bludger

« Reply #3094 on: 13 February, 2020, 04:10:33 pm »
Interestingly (for me if no one else), I'm starting to get pins and needles in my bum and legs a lot more than last week. I wonder if this is related to the recovery I'm needing after my sessions. So far I've done two weights sessions and two rowing sessions, I recall I used to get P and N a lot when rowing more full-on. At college I was often having to take a few minutes at the end of lectures to hobble my way out of the theatre since my legs had been tucked under some ghastly furniture.

I'm only getting them when sat down with my legs under a desk really. Moving about for a bit gets rid of it. Hm.

Ban cars.

« Reply #3095 on: 29 February, 2020, 08:50:47 pm »
 I had my regular six monthly ultrasound scan earlier.  The polyps they found in my gall bladder a couple of years ago (after some mild abdominal pain)  haven't changed since then, so they see no need to carry on with the scans.  And my liver is still intact 👍🏻

« Reply #3096 on: 03 March, 2020, 06:42:16 am »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #3097 on: 05 March, 2020, 12:50:11 pm »
Had a pain under right lower ribs when breathing hard for about a week and a half - assumed it was a stitch (bit surprising, since it was kicking in when I was just doing moderate exercise).

Yesterday it was much worse, 'moderately bad' on the scale where kidney stone is at the top end (the sort of kidney stone pain that makes you vomit in sheer agony). Very weak, nauseous, upset stomach. It was tender to manipulation. I was feverish as well.

OK this morning, although I'm still weak and shaky.

Would have put yesterday down to mild food poisoning, apart from the pain under ribs. Now I'm wondering about gallstones. Symptoms disappearing along with pain fits (just as with kidney stones).

Think I'd better check in with the doc.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3098 on: 05 March, 2020, 01:37:54 pm »
Hope your pain settles soon!
I'm thinking gallstones too but there are other causes of pain in that region that should be checked out, so you're right to see a doctor.

Get well soon!

bludger

« Reply #3099 on: 05 March, 2020, 01:46:02 pm »
Honestly if it's getting worse I would go to A and E. That's exactly what the service is there for, you don't know what might be on the line.

Ban cars.