Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 641483 times)

Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #375 on: 03 June, 2010, 09:14:59 pm »
A diver eh? Did he have one of those big brass helmets on?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #376 on: 03 June, 2010, 09:23:22 pm »
A diver eh? Did he have one of those big brass helmets on?
Doh :)

No but it had one of the old German helmets though.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #377 on: 03 June, 2010, 10:59:44 pm »

Spotted outside GLG Cycles in Thornaby.  I didn't have chance to speak to the owner, so I'm not sure if it's a converted GT frame, or completely handbuilt.  The fittings for the front rack are welded on, and all the welds look similar, so I wondered if it was wholly self-built.  He looked mad enough to have done it all himself :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #378 on: 04 June, 2010, 06:39:30 am »
I would say hand built, the triangle at the top of the seat tube seems too big for a GT, and the seat tube angle is way out!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #379 on: 04 June, 2010, 06:56:33 am »
Not a GT (wrog dropouts, lugs, etc), but it does look like oe of the cheap Trple Triagle copies you get it £89 MTB car spares shops.

I am off to DTEK today, so am expecting to see lots of interesting ad uusual bikes.

Clandy

« Reply #380 on: 04 June, 2010, 08:04:40 am »
Glimpsed briefly in passing on Southend seafront yesterday:

Looking at the picture what I find interesting is the front crank doesn't appear to be linked to the drive train.

« Reply #381 on: 04 June, 2010, 09:04:52 am »
It's an Onderwater family tandem. I think the front cranks are connected (I tried one a while back), I guess via shaft drive. They are made by Azor, and dutchbike.co.uk bring them over. Great fun, but not cheap.

| Fietsenmakerij Onderwater |

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #382 on: 04 June, 2010, 09:47:33 am »
ISTR it is a shaft drive to keep chains away from the kid.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #383 on: 04 June, 2010, 10:26:53 pm »
This evening, I rode with a young Japanese lad who was on a cyclo-cross bike called a Bruno.  Looked nice, being a gold colour with cream tyres, and, interestingly, had dt levers on the top tube.

I've never heard of Bruno, but there was a small Swiss flag on the back of the top tube, with a signature that looked like Bruno...something.
Getting there...

corshamjim

« Reply #384 on: 04 June, 2010, 10:40:57 pm »
Always interested to see different bike designs I eventually found it on page 4 of a google search .. http://brunobike.jp/collection.html  .  As a Moulton fan, those 20" bikes look strangely familiar yet weird.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #385 on: 04 June, 2010, 10:43:27 pm »
This one Anyone know how much 77700Yen is?  I'm guessing not cheap.
Getting there...

« Reply #386 on: 04 June, 2010, 10:52:53 pm »

As ever, Google (Calculator) is your friend.

A touch under £600.
Actually, it is rocket science.

corshamjim

« Reply #387 on: 04 June, 2010, 10:53:15 pm »

Depends if £584 is what you would call cheap.  77,700 yen seems like a very lucky price though!

« Reply #388 on: 04 June, 2010, 10:55:03 pm »
Some of their small wheeled bikes look a little odd.  I wonder how well they ride?
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #389 on: 04 June, 2010, 10:58:00 pm »
That's rather cheaper than I expected for a pretty bike. 

Small wheeled bikes are very popular in Japan & HK apparently, partly for riding on pavements :-\

I couldn't find a non-Japanese version of the website to read. :(
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #390 on: 05 June, 2010, 03:02:34 pm »
Not an unusual bike in itself, but an unusual sight to see a Cervelo in India. First went past the rider, having presumably finished a ride, putting it on top of a suv just outside ond of the big parks in the centre of Bangalore. Then said suv, with Cervelo and another bike on top - I think it was a Trek - came past the auto I was in.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #391 on: 06 June, 2010, 08:33:24 am »

Small wheeled bikes are very popular in Japan & HK apparently, partly for riding on pavements :-\

Legal in Japan, as in some other parts of the world.  No need for :-\
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

ian

« Reply #392 on: 06 June, 2010, 01:09:45 pm »

Legal in Japan, as in some other parts of the world.  No need for :-\

It's a very common Japanese thing for a mother to load approximately eighty-two children on a bike and wobble down a crowded pavement. Oddly, whilst this behaviour in the UK would undoubtedly be indistinguishable from at attempt at pedestrian genocide, it seems to proceed without casualty or the gnashing of teeth. With a small degree of commonsense, cycles and pedestrians mix fine.

« Reply #393 on: 06 June, 2010, 04:43:16 pm »
Saw a HPV grasshopper being sat on at a trailhead in Barton by a european lad, accompanied by some chaps on tourers from Cambridge Cycling Club. It' looked like they'd been riding bridalpaths.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #394 on: 07 June, 2010, 12:08:56 am »
Saw a not very unusual bike yesterday, a bog-standard BMX, but with a rather unusual rider - a chap who from his less than pristine appearance I would surmise was a gentleman of no fixed abode, and probably in his 60s.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #395 on: 07 June, 2010, 09:02:08 am »
Saw a good few bikes yesterday, including a Raleigh Chopper being ridden with the Pollards Hill Cyclists

This morning, I spent a lot of time in the company of a chap on a Colnago Arte.
Getting there...

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #396 on: 07 June, 2010, 09:40:51 am »
Yesterday afternoon, walking down Coldharbour Lane, I was passed by a genuine lowrider bike.  Tiny kid on a tourer frame that had been lowered and lengthened (by a good 18 inches or so), sprayed gold all over and decked out with chains and bling.  Wish I'd had a camera.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #397 on: 07 June, 2010, 08:47:27 pm »
went past a tandem moped today, I think it was one of these:
http://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/classic-bikes-2/eysink-renata-tandem-moped.JPG

it'd broken down :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #398 on: 07 June, 2010, 09:00:13 pm »
I saw an interesting electric bike Friday evening and this morning near Mitcham.  It was branded as an 'Alien'.  I thought they were limited to 15mph, but this one was doing upward of 30kph, which by my reckoning is a bit over.  Somewhat galling to find myself struggling to keep up with an old bloke on a rathr 'sturdy' bike ;D

Still, it looked rather better than a lot of older electric bikes, such as the Powabyke we saw on the Wandle Trail yesterday.

Bizarrely, after seeing a Colnago this morning, I saw another this evening - an orange/chrome Master.  Shame the rider was less cautious than this morning's, and ran a red light.
Getting there...