Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2181524 times)

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #5200 on: 10 March, 2012, 10:55:51 pm »
In attempt to reverse the accidental fixie-ing of my Roubaix I dismantled the free hub on the Ksyrium and promptly lost a tiny spring from one of the pawls. Couldn't find the bugger anywhere.

And does anyone else struggle to cut cable outers to the right lengths?
a great mind thinks alike

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5201 on: 11 March, 2012, 08:07:59 am »
Thanks rafletcher, I will investigate.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5202 on: 11 March, 2012, 11:58:21 am »
OD, if you want to try one out, I have the Thule version, which doesn't fit my FRV (but does fit a Renault Scenic), you are more then welcome to see if it fits your car.

Anyways on to my fettling today.  Yesterday the sparky came to fit a light on the landing.  Upon fitting it he found it wouldn't work.  Said fitting was taken down and original rose re-fitted.

I spent last night pondering the issue and this morning broke out the MK V heavy duty multimeter (known as a Fluke to it's friends), a length of flex and a plug.

After checking voltages everywhere, I tried the suggestion I gave to the sparky yesterday, which was "Are you sure it doesn't need more than one lamp in to work?"  Sure enough, after fitting 14 halogen lamps it worked!  I guess the "transformer" isn't, it's more like a phone carger, i.e. doesn't do anything until it sees a load on it's output side.

This has cost me £200 as Mrs T insisted we went and bought a new fitting.  The upside is that TLD now will have a new light fitting in her bedroom :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

« Reply #5203 on: 11 March, 2012, 04:35:03 pm »
Fitted some Schwalbe Ultremos to one pair of Shimano 6700 wheels, then fitted the wheels, with Halo hex nut skewers, to the Ridley.

The Ridley looks rather pimp now, muddy, but pimp.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5205 on: 11 March, 2012, 05:22:52 pm »
Quite a bit over the course of the weekend  :thumbsup:.

I bought a used Planet X bike last year, and when I got it home it was so filthy (I had to use a screwdriver to chip filth off the jockey wheels!) I ended up completely stripping it. I had intended to re-use the SRAM Force groupset, but the brakes were such poor quality (2-3 year old, and the fixing screw for the QR was corroded enough to make it easy to round out, whereas my 10 year pld Shimano RX100's show no sign of corrosion)  I decided I'd revert to Campag. I also had to replace the BB, and headset, and fitted a Dedaccia fork. I'd done most of it, but then winter came...

Anyway this weekend saw me finally finish the cables off, set up the front and rear mechs, fit the chain, seatpost and saddle, and take it for a shakedown trip down the lane  :)  All good.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5206 on: 11 March, 2012, 05:35:37 pm »
I have washed and inspected both the Etape and the TCR for a week of commuting. I don't think it is light enough or warm enough for the TCR yet - so as the fixed is awaiting new bearings, I think I will armchair it all week on the Etape.  Bliss  ;D

« Reply #5207 on: 11 March, 2012, 07:01:59 pm »
Decided to have a look and work out why my right pedal was ka-klunking hard enough to feel through my foot all the way to work and home again Friday.

I assumed the pedal was knackered and was hoping that were true rather than the crank or BB being the problem.

Got the crank arm in the right place, applied the pedal spanner and gave it a gentle push to check it wouldn't slip off when I stood on it (pedal hasn't been removed in ages so was ready for it to be a bugger to shift), well the little push span the spanner easily  ???

Could it just be that it had somehow worked loose? Cleaned and regreased thread, wanged it up tight and a ride round the block and I think it's all alright again, I love it when fixes are that easy  :thumbsup:

Just wait for something else to go wrong Monday :)
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5208 on: 11 March, 2012, 11:56:21 pm »
Removed my back wheel to mend a puncture and took the opportunity to lighten the bike considerably - by cleaning out the mud from the inside of the 'guard. Then I removed the V-brake arms from their posts and greased them a bit till they all pivot smoothly and evenly. I really need to adjust the rack so that it no longer presses down on the top of the mudguard - and onto the tyre - but I'm not entirely sure if this is possible, as it's designed for 26" wheels and I'm using it with a 700c wheeled bike.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5209 on: 12 March, 2012, 06:38:53 am »
Thanks rafletcher, I will investigate.

Here you go...

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_cmax_interior_bike_rack_f_1233833_c_356.htm

Thanks and thanks to tiermat as well.  On consideration I'm not sure I'd achieve much by having an improved in-car carrying set up.  The beauty of carrying bikes on the roof is that you have room for people inside!  Although fuel consumption goes down the toilet.

My next project is seeing if I can somehow adapt the Pendle tandem carrier to accommodate a solo.  I have some ideas which I will explore shortly, hence leaving the roof rack on the car rather than removing if after the trial run at the weekend. 

« Reply #5210 on: 12 March, 2012, 05:48:27 pm »
The same bloody puncture that I fixed on Saturday  :'(

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5211 on: 12 March, 2012, 08:08:35 pm »

My next project is seeing if I can somehow adapt the Pendle tandem carrier to accommodate a solo. 

My Pendle tandem rack carries a solo more frequently than it carries a tandem.When the car is back from the garage I'll take some pics & post them here.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5212 on: 12 March, 2012, 08:10:38 pm »

My next project is seeing if I can somehow adapt the Pendle tandem carrier to accommodate a solo. 

My Pendle tandem rack carries a solo more frequently than it carries a tandem.When the car is back from the garage I'll take some pics & post them here.

That would be immensely helpful.  I have a cunning plan but yours might be even more cunning.  If so, I shall shamelessly nick it  :-*

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5213 on: 12 March, 2012, 08:35:04 pm »

That would be immensely helpful.  I have a cunning plan but yours might be even more cunning.  If so, I shall shamelessly nick it  :-*

It's ridiculously simple & you are welcome to nick it. I'll start a new thread in the "Tandem" board in FREEWHEELING when I've got the pics.I expect to have the car back tomorrow or Wednesday.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5214 on: 12 March, 2012, 08:39:42 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #5215 on: 13 March, 2012, 10:11:05 am »
I'm have a mare with the cadence sensor on the Etape. I can't figure out if the sensor is knackered or whether the cabling for the dynamo hub run lights is causing interference in the signal.  Moving and fiddling with the position doesn't work.  I have the cables neatly tucked out the way so I hope that is not the issue.  So today I have taken the sensor off the TCR to see if that solves the issue for me.

Also re-tweaked the gears as last night I noticed some indexing issues.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5216 on: 13 March, 2012, 02:38:31 pm »
I am currently repairing a puncture in one of the inner tubes on marj's trike.It's actually a slash rather than a hole & it's on the inside of the tube,suggesting damage by a spoke head but they all seem to be flush below the rim tape.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5217 on: 13 March, 2012, 02:51:13 pm »
Is the rim tape still in one piece? I blew a tube up quite spectacularly just after a long fast decent on last years KTTR ride because the rim tape split and cut the tyre.

Which reminds me, I used the same wheel all winter with a bit of insulation tape over the split - must really buy some more rim tape.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5218 on: 13 March, 2012, 03:29:54 pm »
The rim tape is intact.
The repair has failed so I've put a new tube in which can't be the wrong thing to do:however marj now has a wheel with a presta valve & two wheels with schrader valves.I shall have to ensure that a pump connector/adaptor for each type is kept in her rack bag on that machine.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5219 on: 13 March, 2012, 05:35:30 pm »
I've molished over-engineered a trailer box:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=36088.msg1185928#msg1185928

ETA: And I've dismantled our long-suffering microwave (bought by my maternal grandmother in 1986, inherited by my parents in 1991, taken to university by me in 1999, keypad botched my me and Hananananah the Astrononononmer in 2005), and determined that it works absolutely fine as long as you disconnect the magnetron.   :(

So it looks like the trailer will be getting its first mission sooner than anticipated...

« Reply #5220 on: 13 March, 2012, 09:29:10 pm »
I've molished over-engineered a trailer box:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=36088.msg1185928#msg1185928

ETA: And I've dismantled our long-suffering microwave (bought by my maternal grandmother in 1986, inherited by my parents in 1991, taken to university by me in 1999, keypad botched my me and Hananananah the Astrononononmer in 2005), and determined that it works absolutely fine as long as you disconnect the magnetron.   :(

So it looks like the trailer will be getting its first mission sooner than anticipated...

Oh cool, that trailer looks splendid!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5221 on: 13 March, 2012, 11:01:07 pm »
I have resurrected a 1994 Alivio Rapidfire RH shifter. 10 years of 'no maintenance' left it non-functioning and the bike stuck in top gear. Only needed a cable.

I'm never going to sell people bike bitz if I keep fixing stuffs . . . <grumble, grumble>
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #5222 on: 13 March, 2012, 11:12:09 pm »
I replaced the old & rather yellow halogen bulb in the front light (a B&M Lumotec) on Mrs B's road bike, & made a new cable to plug it into a battery. Neatly (well, mostly) heatshrink sleeved, including around the female spade connectors which connect it to the light.

I finally got round to putting up the new hook for the clothes line, so it now depends from a girt big 'ook firmly attached to a preservative-soaked piece of timber which is securely bolted to the garden wall at a few points, instead of hanging from the old broken pole held up by being jammed behind the compost bin. I plead temporarily buggered right hand for the delay.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5223 on: 13 March, 2012, 11:15:11 pm »
The rim tape is intact.
The repair has failed so I've put a new tube in which can't be the wrong thing to do:however marj now has a wheel with a presta valve & two wheels with schrader valves.I shall have to ensure that a pump connector/adaptor for each type is kept in her rack bag on that machine.

a further attempt to repair the tube was successfull

tiermat

« Reply #5224 on: 14 March, 2012, 02:46:34 pm »
Fitted new cleats to my Sidis.

All my shoes, bar one pair, now have new cleats.  The ones on the Sidis hadn't done any more than about 3500miles, but most of it had been commuting or stop-start miles so my favoured foot (right) had too much play.

I shall be wearing them tonight, so watch out for reports of a comedy clipless moment in the York area.