Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2181513 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #9275 on: 27 May, 2014, 11:03:14 pm »
MOved the seat up a couple mm on the tourer in a hope that this will keep my knee a bit happier
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #9276 on: 27 May, 2014, 11:49:22 pm »
Mum's ADSL connection with help (aka Kim did thinking and ideas and fixed it really) from Kim over horrid-telephones while balancing netbook on lap sitting on mum's bed.  Made extra fun as my mum decided to choose THAT moment to STAND on the bed behind me and unscrew bits of lightfitting in the fanlight to change the bulb over my head (she has balance problems)... She then flicked all the dust off the fan blades into my face  >:(  Good thing I love my mum really.

Kim worked out that when Plusnet broke Mum's email they also changed Mum's ADSL password so Mum's router would no longer connect.  I had documented data from a phone conv with my mum about this password changing when I fix0red the email and had forgotten it would b0rk the router cos mum was hardly home at the time for $reasons.  This meant  Kim could fish that out my /home and send it to me to try...  Once we worked out an L a 1 it finally worked.

Phones, who thought that was a good idea? My error rate and packet loss and processing of Kim's speech was horrendous.  She has the patience of a patient thing.

« Reply #9277 on: 28 May, 2014, 11:58:01 am »
Slapped a pair of SKS P45s onto the winter fixed.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #9278 on: 28 May, 2014, 03:05:04 pm »

Bloody hell, that's a bit premature isn't it?!
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #9279 on: 29 May, 2014, 10:55:41 am »

Bloody hell, that's a bit premature isn't it?!

days start getting shorter in less than a month, and xmas sales are just around the corner

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #9280 on: 29 May, 2014, 11:29:14 am »
Fettled with my new Carradice Classic saddlebag rack.

The attraction with this item is the ability to swap between different bikes ( all of which have saddle loops ) in next to no time, without the need for tools.
ftw

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #9281 on: 29 May, 2014, 01:21:54 pm »
A repair to the cracked edge of the cantilevered porch roof.

As it was on the underside I have clamped shuttering below and forced the cement mix in from the side. I'm not sure how long I should wait until I remove the shuttering, but fully expect the whole lot to fall down!

That came out all right! :D

216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #9282 on: 29 May, 2014, 01:29:11 pm »
Just fitted my light to the nitto m18 rack.

Chopped the end off a Brooks spanner, drilled a hole either end put a twist in the metal to point the light central on the road. Spray painted it in silver, including the cable and I've hidden the cable under the rack. Looks nice and tidy when you're standing by it now :thumbsup:

Clutter free handlebars  8)

A low angle to show the hidden cable.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9283 on: 29 May, 2014, 01:47:22 pm »
Replaced lost gasket of helmet light with silicone.  The old one buggered off into the scenery when one of the catches failed early on ride 10 days ago and the front half of the unit bit the dust.

Also adjusted front brake-block toe-in.  No more judder.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #9284 on: 29 May, 2014, 02:55:03 pm »

Chopped the end off a Brooks spanner, drilled a hole either end put a twist in the metal to point the light central on the road. Spray painted it in silver, including the cable and I've hidden the cable under the rack. Looks nice and tidy when you're standing by it now :thumbsup:

That's a beautiful thing.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #9285 on: 29 May, 2014, 03:37:55 pm »

that's the attention to detail i appreciate! just make sure the cable entry hole is sealed to prevent water ingress.

« Reply #9286 on: 29 May, 2014, 04:05:37 pm »
Funny you should mention it. This afternoon I've sealed it, and the hole for the fixing screw. I've also ordered a pack of very small silver cable ties too :thumbsup:

On the photo the cable looks pretty visible but when you stand by the bike the cable is invisible ;D the Brooks spanner looks mingling on the pic but it's a brand new shiny one.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9287 on: 29 May, 2014, 04:59:00 pm »
Alerters!

That's the hardware finished and tested, apart from the four strobes that I'm going to nick from the existing system as I decommission it.  I have tested the strobe driver circuits, though.

I appear to have lost some work I did on the software the other night through general incompetence preparing the SD card image, but it shouldn't be too hard to reproduce.  I can now return the house to a liveable state before barakta kills me for filling it with swarf and metalworking tools.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #9288 on: 29 May, 2014, 05:40:55 pm »
Kim, am I the only one who thinks that stack should have multi-jointed arms coming out of the side, terminated in pincers?

Sort of like "Danger, danger, Will Robinson" "What is it?" "I don't know, I just know it's danger"
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #9289 on: 31 May, 2014, 05:58:27 pm »
Fitted a new perch and postto the orange. It was justgoing tobe the perch, but I couldn't get the bolt undone enough to get the old one off.

Found my pdm620s to fit to the Orange, but sorting out the rear brake took precedence, so they got the bolts taken out, slathered with grease and then refitted, with help from my lovely assistant, Mrs T.

Tidied the garage a bit, too.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #9290 on: 31 May, 2014, 06:13:26 pm »
Fettled the postage stamp that passes for our garden, a little bit. Place is heaving with snails! No wonder half the plants are full of holes. Still the man at the garden centre directed me to rough grit so we'll see if that thwarts the greedy barstewards.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #9291 on: 31 May, 2014, 08:00:18 pm »
Meine Große Bibliothek

Well, still fettling (and the state of it these last few months had been gross).  What I need to do is have some floor-to-ceiling, adjustable shelves built to take up a whole wall of my study living room.  Going 'custom' is the only way I'll be able to fit everything in an ORGANISED fashion.  It's bad enough when I have to split groups of books across shelves because of height differences, but some are split across book cases!  :o :sick: 

Must have another go at clearing out excess 'stuff' and see if I can make room for another bookcase.  Could finish ripping my CDs, box them up and put them in the loft, if there's a floor up there...
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #9292 on: 31 May, 2014, 09:07:04 pm »
If sorting shelves some of which contain books and other gubbins then I did fettling today.  Resorted my books so I can SEE what I own rather than having unstable stacks shoved in wherever will fit.  One box o crap to charidee shop and a shelf mostly for Kim's things like Trangia and stuff...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #9293 on: 01 June, 2014, 11:49:08 am »
As we approach the longest daylight hours period of the year I fettled into operation my dynamo front light ;D
I found the correct roundtoit after only 21 months ::-)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9294 on: 01 June, 2014, 12:09:17 pm »
Replaced and swapped various front and rear lights, fitted a QR Bagman to the Longstaff in place of the old bracket and swapped a bidon cage between bikes. Just about time to tackle the racing tandem. It needs some serious work!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #9295 on: 01 June, 2014, 12:30:32 pm »
replaced the chain on my commuter and de-gunked the chainring and jockey wheels.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #9296 on: 01 June, 2014, 06:22:32 pm »
Because Pingu's shoulder is still sore I helped him by changing the cassette on his audax bike. I threw in a free jockey wheel scrape being as I couldn't bear to see a nearly new chain and a new cassette with such a thick crust on the jockey wheels.
Shame the Campy QR lever fell to bits when I touched it, but better now than out in the boondocks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9297 on: 01 June, 2014, 07:56:16 pm »
David has just decided to try the VETTA chain cleaner I bought from Two Wheels Good in 1985.
It remained unused in its box for nearly three decades...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9298 on: 01 June, 2014, 08:09:48 pm »
Fiddled with the racing tandem. Still needs a fair bit of work but it now has most of the necessary bits in place, just not hooked up. Still need to get some 10sp chains, a long seat post, thin chainring spacers and assorted minor bits and pieces.

Tweaked my Brompton's front wheel and sorted out a Campag rear derailleur.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #9299 on: 01 June, 2014, 09:29:35 pm »
I have been cutting hostipal super glue out of Pingu's hair. Almost as satisfying as picking scabs  :thumbsup: