Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2181422 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #15250 on: 17 October, 2020, 01:52:26 pm »
Finished construction of my (woodworking) router table - complete with screw lift to adjust the cutter height and connections for dust extraction hoses.

Well done. I took the easy option and bought a Triton router with the lift built in.  For use off the table I don't like it much: it's rather ungainly and not as well-behaved as my old Bosch and Metabo items, but in the table with the lift it's fine.

I had a cheap and cheerful router so that's what I've built into the table (having to drill the base plate to bolt it on) - I have a decent Bosch router for other work.  The whole thing clamps to the top of one of my benches (and is stored underneath when not in use)  Dust extraction (you can't see) connects to the router's own port as well as a hose behind the aperture in the fence.  Featherboards clamp to the fence and/or T-track.   The scissor lift was all of £6 from ebay.    It all does the job for what I need at the moment.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15251 on: 17 October, 2020, 02:40:29 pm »
Similar idea to mine. I actually made two tables, the first of which takes a Katsu edge trimmer, which has a somewhat hit & miss screw adjustment built in.

The top makes a great sounding-board - it just about doubles the racket.

The one for the Triton is similar.

Triton's winder is a bit dumb: I gather that the shaft fits several different devices, and it's too long to turn easily unless I thread it through a bit of wood and hold it steady.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #15252 on: 17 October, 2020, 04:07:51 pm »
Some automotive fettling. Summer carpet mat out and washed, winter rubber mats in. A good wash (after minor pressure washer fettling, the high pressure hose terminal O ring had perished after a mere 6 months  >:() and a spray of polish. Then swapped the bling 19” wheels with some 17” ones with winter tyres I had from a previous car of the same marque.  Needed spigot rings, and just cleared the front brake callipers.  Took the car for a run as I was curious as to the difference in ride (it had been quite noticeable on the old car swapping from 18” to these same 17” wheels) and found it was still a firm ride, but considerably quieter. My summer wheels are Pirelli P Zero’s, but I’ll swap to Goodyear assymetrics next, which are supposedly quieter.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #15253 on: 17 October, 2020, 04:51:38 pm »
Similar idea to mine. I actually made two tables, the first of which takes a Katsu edge trimmer, which has a somewhat hit & miss screw adjustment built in.

The top makes a great sounding-board - it just about doubles the racket.

The one for the Triton is similar.

Triton's winder is a bit dumb: I gather that the shaft fits several different devices, and it's too long to turn easily unless I thread it through a bit of wood and hold it steady.

I've got to alter the dust collecting shroud behind the fence to increase effectiveness - will do that before I make about 200 metres of slots for something I'm making!

Oh - and naughty, naughty with your unguarded table saw in the background .. . . .

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #15254 on: 17 October, 2020, 06:22:33 pm »
Oh the shame.

My commuter / winter bike was put away wet and unloved at the beginning of the year.
On return from an aborted French ski trip, work was from home.
Then furlough.

Only just got round to digging it out.
In need of major work. The cranks / BB are seized almost solid.

Only I can't get the HT-2 crankset out.
The NDS arm comes off fine, but the spindle is utterly seized to the bearings and could not be driven out.

Made some progress by unscrewing the NDS BB cup from the frame, pressing it off the spindle, but the forces involved were in danger of stripping the frame.
In the end, it was destructively removed with an angle grinder, cutting the partially-unscrewed BB cup and hollow spindle off.
The remains of the spindle was then driven out through the Drive-side bearing, taking the bearing with it, out of the cup.

Destroyed: 1 x old Ultegra Triple crankset, 1 x Hope BB.
The frame is fine.

Bah.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #15255 on: 17 October, 2020, 06:31:02 pm »
You missed out the hitting it with a BFO hammer and the Bad Swears.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #15256 on: 17 October, 2020, 06:38:04 pm »
You missed out the hitting it with a BFO hammer and the Bad Swears.

The "could not be driven out" is a euphemism for several hours of ultraviolence and foul language... :-)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #15257 on: 17 October, 2020, 06:56:39 pm »
I know, but spelling it out makes everyone else feel better about their similar exploits  ;D
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15258 on: 17 October, 2020, 08:50:50 pm »
Made an oak support for the humungous bench vice so it can be used in the Workmate.  However, no post again (see other thread...) so I don't have the M12 coach screws to fit the vice to it.

Also trimmed the whole front hedge, including the neighbour's side.  It might have stopped growing for the year, I hope, but I'm not mothballing the trimmer just yet.  I've used 4 litres of Aspen 2 this year - that hedge is not low maintenance.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #15259 on: 18 October, 2020, 01:08:25 pm »
Mainly removing garden stuff to the tip.  Some rambling rose, the sweetcorn stalks, a huge load of Iris leaves, and three clematis.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #15260 on: 18 October, 2020, 10:31:41 pm »
A quorn cottage pie and a washing machine. Actually, only the pie was fully fettled. The wm is out, disconnected, and the top is off. The shot bearings are still a long way off...
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #15261 on: 18 October, 2020, 10:59:00 pm »
Finished construction of my (woodworking) router table...

Not internet of shit stuffs then.

« Reply #15262 on: 19 October, 2020, 07:33:34 am »
Mainly removing garden stuff to the tip.  Some rambling rose, the sweetcorn stalks, a huge load of Iris leaves, and three clematis.

Last week I took a modern marble fire surround and mantle piece to the tip. I'd removed it and boarded the fireplace. It was in OK condition but noone else wanted it either.

We have a plan to buy no more stuff unless absolutely necessary because it's just going to landfill eventually.

Sadly we will have to fit a new kitchen because ours is falling apart. The sink tap leaks, the dishwasher doesn't always work and the 25 year old cooker oven is bust. We can't slot in a new cooker because it's a non-standard size now.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #15263 on: 19 October, 2020, 07:38:59 am »
Yesterday, not today, but I fettled a monitor stand (An encyclopaedia and Kant's Critique of Pure Reason have been doing the job admirably since March, but I finally decided to come up with a better solution. None of the commercially available stands were the right length for my "desk", so I got some wood instead).

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #15264 on: 19 October, 2020, 11:04:23 am »
Investigated why the rear wheel on my wife's bike is wonky. Discovered the axle is broken.  >:(

Also: why is it that I have a wide selection of cone spanners but none in the size I actually need? :facepalm:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #15265 on: 19 October, 2020, 11:10:44 am »

Also: why is it that I have a wide selection of cone spanners but none in the size I actually need? :facepalm:

Because you don't have universal ones?

citoyen

« Reply #15266 on: 19 October, 2020, 12:03:20 pm »
Because you don't have universal ones?

Nifty! Might just pop down to Halfords...

Now, maybe you can help me with this one: where do I get a 9mm x 145mm hollow axle? No luck finding one online so far - although it's possible that's because I'm looking for the wrong thing... I've just re-measured the axle to be certain. The body of the axle is 9mm diameter but the threaded part is 10mm diameter - so does that mean I actually need a 10mm axle?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15267 on: 19 October, 2020, 12:09:02 pm »
Rear axle? M10x1 is 10mm top of thread, 9mm bottom of thread, near enough.
https://www.trfastenings.com/products/knowledgebase/thread-geometry/metric-fine

3/8” is 9.5mm.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

citoyen

« Reply #15268 on: 19 October, 2020, 12:27:02 pm »
9.5mm x 145mm seems to be a standard size that's widely available...

On second thoughts, it's actually 10mm x 145mm that seems to be commonly available.

I'm finding this all a bit bewildering, to be honest... Standards, eh? Who needs them.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15269 on: 19 October, 2020, 12:31:28 pm »
What model of hub is it? Just to check the basics.

citoyen

« Reply #15270 on: 19 October, 2020, 12:47:42 pm »
What model of hub is it? Just to check the basics.

No idea on specifics but it's a Quando hub, takes a screw-on freewheel (came with 7spd fitted).

Hub shell is 80mm wide, if that's useful information. (OLN is 135mm, hence the need for a 145mm axle - I'm guessing the frame was really designed with more modern components in mind.)

I measured the dropouts as well - they're more or less exactly 10mm (might be a shade under - I don't trust my measurements 100% since the battery needs replacing in my digital calipers).

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15271 on: 19 October, 2020, 01:07:30 pm »
A search for Quando axle thread throws up a KT catalogue link that might help you properly determine the answer. It looks like the axle could be either M10 or 3/8", depending on the model.

citoyen

« Reply #15272 on: 19 October, 2020, 01:26:32 pm »
Thanks. I'm beginning to think the easiest option will be replacing the whole wheel.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15273 on: 19 October, 2020, 01:32:20 pm »
Chopped the last of the wood from the garage into tasty kibbles kindling.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15274 on: 19 October, 2020, 01:56:18 pm »
Thanks. I'm beginning to think the easiest option will be replacing the whole wheel.

Just see if a known M10 locknut or cone runs down the axle. If it is a very rattly fit, it is probably 3/8", otherwise a 10x1.