Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2181767 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #15450 on: 20 December, 2020, 10:13:17 am »
Heh I like it!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #15451 on: 20 December, 2020, 10:51:09 am »
A de-mountable shelf to support the Zwift etc. laptop from the front of the bench, so it’s close enough to reach from the turbo bike. I’ll need something to stop the sweat splashing on the keyboard though.

Oh, and I put the tree in the living room. Waiting for it’s branches to settle prior to decorating it tomorrow.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15452 on: 20 December, 2020, 03:47:19 pm »
Started to swap a new rim onto my fixed’s worn-out dynowheel but found the ERD was different. Time to order some new spokes. Glued some cuts in the tyre.

Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #15453 on: 20 December, 2020, 08:17:24 pm »
I am making a small workbench out of gas pipe.  It won't be connected.

The festive reindeer above is very good.
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15454 on: 23 December, 2020, 03:14:33 pm »
Soupe à la chaîne:

20€ crockpot and a bunch of BFO candles. They took about 3 hours to melt.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15455 on: 23 December, 2020, 03:42:21 pm »
Serve with crusty bread drizzled with WD-40.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15456 on: 25 December, 2020, 06:52:11 pm »
Took advantage of the sunny day to take the green bike outside and wash it. Then oiled the chain. Then, the reason for washing it, removed the lightyears of cable connected to the comp, as I've decided to do without it. Tomorrow I'll decide whether I'm going to find new routing for dynamo wiring (maybe round the top tube instead of under the down tube) or just tape it back in place. Probably won't use cable ties this time though, just because.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15457 on: 27 December, 2020, 04:43:22 pm »
Did it today. Easy to rewind round the fork leg, but the run up the down tube took several trials to get the enough length to reach the headlight at all angles of steering without being too flappy. Have a bin full of insulting tape scraps!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #15458 on: 27 December, 2020, 11:14:07 pm »
Tarting up the old pantry by putting tiles on the wooden shelves. No, I don't know either but Mrs a likes it like that.
Move Faster and Bake Things

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #15459 on: 28 December, 2020, 08:16:03 am »
More "manufacturing" than fettling - I've been making some of these for a mini-business venture* to keep my mind occupied  (various sizes for 2 or 4 glasses etc)

*online shop to launch soon

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15460 on: 28 December, 2020, 08:39:15 am »
Yesterday, I broke up a pallet, sawed it into short lengths and chopped it into kindling.  The big square blocks went straight into the stove and I got the nails out with a magnet this morning  :)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15461 on: 28 December, 2020, 08:44:34 am »
Soupe à la chaîne:

Been there, done that.  Candle wax just flakes off.  Something that self-heals at ambient temperature, like the soft paraffin wax used on Barbour jackets, is more likely to work.  I've never used proper chain wax, but most seems to have graphite in it too.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15462 on: 28 December, 2020, 11:19:42 am »
Soupe à la chaîne:

Been there, done that.  Candle wax just flakes off.  Something that self-heals at ambient temperature, like the soft paraffin wax used on Barbour jackets, is more likely to work.  I've never used proper chain wax, but most seems to have graphite in it too.

It'll do for a couple of outings until the PTFE powder arrives, then I'll try melting out that wax with a heat gun and rewaxing it with PTFE in candle wax. Barbour wax is a tad pricey, ditto Proofide.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #15463 on: 28 December, 2020, 11:51:10 am »
Back in the 80s I used to do something similar, but with a pan of grease (something along the lines of standard LM grease). Not really sure how much difference it made to longevity; I lived on the bike and regularly did 100 mile + rides, but never kept track of total mileage and didn't have an odometer so just cleaned and/or replaced bits as and when.

« Reply #15464 on: 28 December, 2020, 01:00:16 pm »
Finally did the fine adjustment of the rear mech of the turbo bike, running a lot quieter now. Now need to turn off the synchro-shift (it’s Di2) but see first world problems, so resetting the passcode is next up.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #15465 on: 28 December, 2020, 04:20:24 pm »
Moved 2 chests of drawers for the 1st time since we got them, 10 years ago. Went "ew!" At all the groadiness behind them. Hoovered the groady up. Sanded the skirtings, filled in the dings with knifing putty. Moved the chests of drawers back.
Will have to do that all over again several times to sand, prime, paint. And similar at the other side of the room. This is where having a spare room would be really handy...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #15466 on: 28 December, 2020, 04:56:57 pm »
Finally did the fine adjustment of the rear mech of the turbo bike, running a lot quieter now. Now need to turn off the synchro-shift (it’s Di2) but see first world problems

Double click the Junction A button to cycle through modes. One flash is manual mode.

« Reply #15467 on: 28 December, 2020, 05:02:39 pm »
This morning I swapped the stem on my bike to a new, bouncier one. Tightened the brakes up too. I failed to test ride though as I was enjoying being warm and dry.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #15468 on: 28 December, 2020, 08:40:29 pm »
Ripped out the remains (base and short bits of ducting) of the warm air heating system that is nolonger extant in my flat. Renelarged the doorway to the cupboard it was in and hung a full sized door on the frame.

I think that's the first door I've hung. No resizing needed thankfully and only one case of "measure twice you idiot".

I'm Quite Pleased with the result.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #15469 on: 29 December, 2020, 06:36:45 am »
Finally did the fine adjustment of the rear mech of the turbo bike, running a lot quieter now. Now need to turn off the synchro-shift (it’s Di2) but see first world problems

Double click the Junction A button to cycle through modes. One flash is manual mode.

I learnt this yesterday as I set up the gears on my new expensive bike properly. Am I wrong to expect that the Di2 should come properly adjusted from a “good” bike shop?
So I set up FD from scratch. Now it runs properly. I have turned on synchro and will see what it is like.

« Reply #15470 on: 29 December, 2020, 10:31:06 am »

Ta, that’ll save me having to refresh my memory via the manual! 

« Reply #15471 on: 29 December, 2020, 10:32:55 am »

I learnt this yesterday as I set up the gears on my new expensive bike properly. Am I wrong to expect that the Di2 should come properly adjusted from a “good” bike shop?
So I set up FD from scratch. Now it runs properly. I have turned on synchro and will see what it is like.

And as you have one of the latest systems I assume it’ll exhibit the behaviour whereby you cannot shift to the smallest 2 sprockets when on the inner chainring.

« Reply #15472 on: 29 December, 2020, 10:49:02 am »
Yes, I know we should not cross chain like that but it really confused me to begin with!!

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #15473 on: 29 December, 2020, 11:36:14 am »
I suspect that some bike shops haven't really put a lot of effort into learning the finer details of setting up Di2/EPS/eTAP. They are fairly complex systems under the skin, and need a bit of study. I have no experience of EPS, but I have had the other two for a few years and I'm pretty sure I don't know all there is to know about them!

« Reply #15474 on: 29 December, 2020, 11:50:27 am »
Should have posted this two days ago.

I fettled our Christmas.  In that I mean that I assembled, located and installed and commissioned the Wahoo Kickr Core turbo complete with mllePB's audax bike and my shiny new Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+.  I decided to use a new cassette and chain so removed and stored the chain that came off with the back wheel for future installation when her bike sees tarmac again. 

The tablet sits in a bracket atop a tripod at the moment until I can find a decent handlebar clamp with a standard 1/4 inch screw as per regular tripod plates to mount the bracket.

So far so good.   👍