Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2181330 times)

Tail End Charlie

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #2325 on: 10 October, 2010, 06:59:03 pm »
Fitted a dual pivot calliper to my road bike. Only the back to do now.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #2326 on: 10 October, 2010, 07:39:59 pm »
Oh dear.  Idiot at work.  I wanted to loosen the spokes gently so the rim in good condition would stay round and true.  Alas I had never used a spoke key before. I gradually half turn by half turn worked my way around the wheel several times.  It did not seem to be getting easier.  Then the penny dropped.  The spoke attachs to the underside of the nipple. This idiot was turning it the wrong way Duh.  So now the wheel has been relaxed it is no longer true. I can safely cut the spokes now that there is no tension and salvage the rim.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2327 on: 10 October, 2010, 08:33:00 pm »
Swapped mudguards for Raceblades on my commuter.  They're the ones off TGL's Trek, so they've done a few miles, and fit in with the shabby look.

I had to trim them a bit to fit.
Getting there...

mAsTa RiDaH

« Reply #2328 on: 10 October, 2010, 08:46:52 pm »
Fitted a decent idler to the 'bent.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #2329 on: 11 October, 2010, 02:04:32 am »
Broke more stuff on the raliegh then proceeded to break stuff on the cannondale.

Well I say break, I thought rear skewers were supposed to be quite strong.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2330 on: 11 October, 2010, 03:24:37 pm »
At the risk of sounding terribly middle class....

Oiled the decking, twice

Replaced the shelving either side of the BBQ, as the old stuff had warped and busted....

Adjusted the mudguards on the purple bike so that I don't kick them each time I turn.....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2331 on: 11 October, 2010, 09:16:34 pm »
Took pedals off Old Fixie and put them on New Fixie.

Felt a bit bad for Old Fixie who now has no pedals. So didn't take the saddle off Old Fixie, left the armchair on New Fixie and ordered new saddle and pedals. Old Fixie will get new pedals and New Fixie new saddle. This is as close to anthropomorphism as I get.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2332 on: 11 October, 2010, 09:47:22 pm »
Replaced another broken spoke on the Ridgeback.  Seems like I am destined to rebuild this wheel one spoke at a time :-\
Getting there...

_lou_

« Reply #2333 on: 12 October, 2010, 08:46:01 pm »
Replaced a freewheel by dismantling it, and spilled the balls of the bearing all over the floor. I wish I had a magnet to collect them all... The new freewheel doesn't make the crack sounds the other one used to, but still is a lot noisier that the fixed cog.

« Reply #2334 on: 12 October, 2010, 08:54:01 pm »
Took pedals off Old Fixie and put them on New Fixie.

Felt a bit bad for Old Fixie who now has no pedals. So didn't take the saddle off Old Fixie, left the armchair on New Fixie and ordered new saddle and pedals. Old Fixie will get new pedals and New Fixie new saddle. This is as close to anthropomorphism as I get.

LOL! This is exactly how my brain would work, and explains why I haven't purchased N+1 yet ... I would feel guilty and disloyal to N!  :facepalm:

simonp

« Reply #2335 on: 12 October, 2010, 10:40:29 pm »
Fitted new front brake blocks to Pompino. It stops again. Retrued front wheel so it also doesn't rub.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2336 on: 13 October, 2010, 10:01:09 am »
Stopped off on the way home and fitted new tyre & tube to Butterfly's bike which is currently being used by a friend.  Also sorted out the front brakes, but they needed new pads.  Wish I'd known, as I had to stop to pick up the new tyre. :-\

And it still needs some work/parts on the dynamo lighting.

When home, I tried to fit the Bobnutz to my fixed, but they're too small ???

Never mind, I fitted the propstand, and put a new chain on Butterfly's tourer and trimmed the gears.  Think it needs a new cassette now, because one of the sprockets is skipping.  I thought the idea behind cassettes was that you could replace individual sprockets.  Doesn't work out like that... :-\

Tried adjusting the brakes, but the lack of ferrule on the cable means it's hard to adjust at the hanger.  Should be easier when I've taken the barbag fixing off.

Sounds like I'll be busy tonight.
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2337 on: 13 October, 2010, 02:02:30 pm »
Last night Charlotte helped me (read: I played Igor to her Dr. F) do some work on my Ribble.  As I was replacing the levers we took the opportunity to redo break and gear cables, inners & outers.

I now have a full range of gears.  :thumbsup:  Just need to make some minor tweeks over the next few days.

Thanks, Charlotte!  :-*

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2338 on: 13 October, 2010, 02:06:33 pm »
Last night Charlotte helped me (read: I played Igor to her Dr. F) do some work on my Ribble.  As I was replacing the levers we took the opportunity to redo break and gear cables, inners & outers.

I now have a full range of gears.  :thumbsup:  Just need to make some minor tweeks over the next few days.

Good news.
So was the prognosis on the LH lever correct?

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #2339 on: 13 October, 2010, 02:21:14 pm »

Good news.
So was the prognosis on the LH lever correct?

Yes,* everything shifting more or less as it should. 

There's a noticeable difference in the shifting with these levers.  The previous set-up was much 'softer'.  Not sure if this is just due to worn bits or a combination of worn bits and different levers (changed from Xenon to Mirage).

*It was the RH lever.

« Reply #2340 on: 13 October, 2010, 03:40:18 pm »
*It was the RH lever.

Durrrr !  :facepalm: Yes.

But it was LH when the bike was upside down  ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2341 on: 13 October, 2010, 03:41:36 pm »
He was trying to ride the bike upside down?

Ah well, there's most of your problem just there, y'see... ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #2342 on: 13 October, 2010, 04:53:02 pm »
Noticed that "nerd" at lbs had fitted the barbag clamp security wire the wrong way round the stem - stopped the bag tilting upwards but allowed an unhealthy degree of droop.

Replaced it with a piece of mtb brake cable and it now works as designed.

« Reply #2343 on: 13 October, 2010, 04:56:50 pm »
I seem to have become the local kiddie bike fettler.

Knock at the door.
"hello, Sam's grandad.  My bike's making a clunking noise."

BB loose in frame; back wheel buckled; only 4 spokes tensioned; brake adjusters rusted solid.

Seems he only got the bike 2 days ago - the totter must have seen him coming.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #2344 on: 13 October, 2010, 05:14:09 pm »
He was trying to ride the bike upside down?

But that way the tyres last forEVAH!  ;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2345 on: 13 October, 2010, 06:34:38 pm »
But you get a bald patch on your head!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2346 on: 13 October, 2010, 08:58:45 pm »
Is that how Roger....

*decides against continuing*
Getting there...

« Reply #2347 on: 13 October, 2010, 09:01:52 pm »
Swapped my SPD pedals for cages and fitted toe clips and straps - not for that retro look but so I can ride in civvies.  Worked well until I tried to release my foot by twisting it out instead of sliding it backwards...
Peter

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2348 on: 13 October, 2010, 09:56:14 pm »
Tightened my chain.

Removed broken barbag bracket from Butterfly's Galaxy

Cleared the weeds off the trailer, dug the mud out of the hitch, pumped the tyres up & checked the light.  Actually, found the flag, too.

Swapped the skewer on my tourer for the trailer one.

Refitted babbage engine to Butterfly's Galaxy

Tidied up the cable for my computer sensor, having moved it to accommodate the stand.

That's not too bad for an evening, given that I've also cooked dinner & washed up and put a loaf on...
Getting there...

Chris S

« Reply #2349 on: 13 October, 2010, 10:57:25 pm »
Tightened my chain.

Removed broken barbag bracket from Butterfly's Galaxy

Cleared the weeds off the trailer, dug the mud out of the hitch, pumped the tyres up & checked the light.  Actually, found the flag, too.

Swapped the skewer on my tourer for the trailer one.

Refitted babbage engine to Butterfly's Galaxy

Tidied up the cable for my computer sensor, having moved it to accommodate the stand.

That's not too bad for an evening, given that I've also cooked dinner & washed up and put a loaf on...

Teacher's Pet  ::-).

;)