Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2181396 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #3875 on: 18 June, 2011, 05:14:52 pm »
Hmmm, that tile at the edge of the bath looks a bit loose and rather damp in the grout.  A bit of poking later ended up with the it coming off in one piece rather easily, and a whole load of damp tile adhesive underneath it.... :-o  Hopefully a quick patch up will do until I get enough ££ to redecorate the bathroom next year. (Taking bath out, and replacing with a shower cubicle).

« Reply #3876 on: 18 June, 2011, 06:06:29 pm »
Replaced the four rusty bolts that secure the handlebars to the stem.  I looked for them on the net and they seemed to come in a bewildering array of colours but not very specific dimensions - and at about 6 or 7 quid a set.  Went to Screwfix and got some stainless steel ones.  £3.50 for 50!  Just need some more bikes, now.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #3877 on: 18 June, 2011, 08:12:08 pm »
Having covered it in sand on the Seething600 whilst dealing with innumerable punctures, I cleaned my chain today. White spirit in a 2L milk bottle container and  give it a good shake. The whole exercise took about 10 minutes. Hardcore.

« Reply #3878 on: 18 June, 2011, 08:33:18 pm »
Laid and wired! Sadly, track, not me....

Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3879 on: 18 June, 2011, 09:10:25 pm »
Swapped front brake blocks on Butterfly's Galaxy, and felt how worn her rear wheel is.  I have advised a new one.

Looked at her soot bike to sort out a chain skipping issue.  Couldn't find the misalignment I thought might be the culprit, but a look at the shape of the sprocket teeth told me the story :(

Off to get a new chain and cassette in the morning :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #3880 on: 19 June, 2011, 12:15:40 am »
The new chain fitted last week was a bit long so I made it too short and had to faff with the mudguard. Greased the saddle rails and hopefully I've got a nice quiet commuter for a few months bit. New levers, cables, outers and BB done the week before.

I also fitted the sprocket bought from Sgt Pluck last year. If levers and pedals count separate then there's five things on that bike bought from forummers, plus a back light recommendation.

« Reply #3881 on: 19 June, 2011, 01:23:08 pm »
Fettle fail.

Replaced skylight - check.
Re-laid slates - know my own limits.  :(

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3882 on: 19 June, 2011, 06:35:08 pm »
As noted in the "have you been out today" thread, I was over at a feed station on the BHF L-B ride, fully intending to help my friends cook a zillion burgers.  Shortly after I arrived aridr was spotted walking. My vociferous friend The Cheery Chippy hollered at him and suggested I could fix it. I had a few tools on board, a puncture repair kit and a brace of 700c tubes and that was all.  Our friend was pushing something towards the BSO end of the things and had no tools, no pump, no tube.  This meant I had to patch his, which took much longer than I'd like.

The next punter was a chap whose front tyre (700C x 25) had parted company from its bead. Hmm. I cast my eye along the line of bikes, selected one and removed the front wheel. "We'll take the tyre off here" I told him. A brief look of panic, then he twigged it was my bike. Tee hee.

I phoned home and had The Boy bring me a slack handful of 26 inch tubes and my folding tyre.

After that I had a more or less constant stream of customers, some grateful, some less so.  Best was a bloke on a venerable Peugeot "racer", 27 inch steel rims, in need of a tube. I dug one out and let him get on with it.  A minute or two later: "Is it clockwise or anti-clockwise to undo the nuts?" I gave him a clue and then watched in amazement and admiration as he removed two spoons from his tool kit, tyre removal for the use of.

Home now, thumbs hurting.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #3883 on: 19 June, 2011, 06:48:08 pm »
Adjusted the cones on my S3B sturmey archer.  Before I could do this I had to put a right angle bend in a Poundland spanner, because the cone is recessed within the brake hub.  That was *much* easier than I anticipated.  All working - short test ride to the malt shovel.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3884 on: 19 June, 2011, 06:53:27 pm »
That's a lorra lorra fettling, Tim!

As it happens, we helped a lass on the L2B.  She was riding a singlespeed down Garratt Lane, and had somehow trapped her chain between the sprocket and the spokes.  Not being on my fixed, I didn't have my wheelspanner with me, so we used brute force to pull it up and over the teeth.  The chap from Rosie Lee's cafe (where we had been breakfasting when we spotted the lass) helped us.  He was strong, and I knew what to do, so between us, we did it.

Back home, we swapped a couple of saddles/seatposts, swapped two cassettes and one 10-spd chain (I thought for a while that the powerlink wasn't going to latch :( ).

I haven't got round to replacing my front gear cable yet :(
Getting there...

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #3885 on: 19 June, 2011, 06:56:47 pm »
Fettle fail.

Replaced skylight - check.
Re-laid slates - know my own limits.  :(

Were the sky hooks holding up the skylights ok?  ;)

This morning, fettling a new tile onto bathroom wall,
this afternoon, fettling together a £30 Chiminea from Poundstretcher.  I now have the desire to Burn Things!   ;D

« Reply #3886 on: 19 June, 2011, 07:00:17 pm »
Just washed the Etape after that shite weather last week.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #3887 on: 19 June, 2011, 09:13:31 pm »
Arse.  I needed to do a big shop at Brixton market, so I took out the geared bike, for the first time in weeks.  Decided to take it for a wee evening spin just now - and discover a puncture in the rear wheel.  Easy to find the culprit - sharp piece of stone that looks as if it fell off somebody's pebble dash (not much of that around here, though).  Sorted, but that was a late evening run cut very short :(
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #3888 on: 19 June, 2011, 09:17:44 pm »
I think / hope I have just fettled the head off the mole that has been enjoying destroying my back garden and lawn.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3889 on: 20 June, 2011, 12:13:50 am »
New wheels on and new cables all round.

Although I just held bits and pieces as the master did the work.  :thumbsup:

Goodness it rides sweetly. Like a new bike.  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #3890 on: 20 June, 2011, 01:06:08 pm »
On Saturday I had the trailer behind me.  I opted out of the 1 in 11 route to my house and decided on the  easier bus route.  I was not concentrating and rode straight past it so I took the super easy route instead but it has a cycle path barrier.  After much fiddling I get thorugh it.  When I get going again there is a noise from the back wheel.  The disc brake is rubbing.  I get home disconnect the trailer which connects by the skewer. This revealed the problem. On the non-trailer side the quick releaseses spring was caught under the hubs axle.  It started to rain so I put the bike in the shed and forgot about.

This morning the wheel is not turning at all.  So I try to remove the wheel, still stuck, get pliers pull the wire out.  The wheel falls out.  I add a spare spring to the QR and refit the wheel. Job Done. 

« Reply #3891 on: 20 June, 2011, 11:23:32 pm »
I dropped the bars by one spacer's worth on the new bike. There's only 1/2 a spacer below the bars now. It felt pretty good on this evenings venture out (actually, I didn't give it a second thought so that's probably a good thing). Before I know it, I'll be inverting the stem  ;) .
I also put a second bottle cage on the bike and moved the pump to the side of the seat-tube.
Finally, in this blitz of fettling, I took the Marathon tyres off the spare wheels ready for one of my mates to use to replace the failing front Marathon on his (newish) Galaxy.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #3892 on: 21 June, 2011, 07:34:18 am »
Started to rebuild my Henry Burton (Team Raleigh)

Windy Wandering: Rebuilding the 'Burton'

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3893 on: 21 June, 2011, 02:25:49 pm »
The holdsworth is nearly ready, have adjusted gears, fixed an issue with a squished QR spring (which was stopping the rear wheel seating correctly) and added bar tape.

Had a quick ride around on it, it is lovely, if more upright than I am used to.

and it is RED
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

simonp

« Reply #3894 on: 21 June, 2011, 06:09:59 pm »
Well, really it was yesterday.

I took my pompino's headset apart, cleaned and greased everything, and put it back together again and the worrying creaking has stopped.  The whole headset assembly looks a bit bodged, so I've ordered a new headset (and some tools I need).

« Reply #3895 on: 21 June, 2011, 06:24:27 pm »
A or The Mole came back this morning.  I may have decapitated it again with my sharp spade.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3896 on: 21 June, 2011, 06:48:41 pm »
I have removed the Thule bike racks from the roof bars on the Volvo.

Last week I noted that one of the wheel clamps was missing from the spine of one of the racks.This morning one of the wheel straps was almost becoming dis-engaged from the ratchet buckle.
Neither of these things would become detached of their own volition & I have concluded that someone is interfering with the racks.
The car has not been far enough down the drive to activate the security light which may be a factor.
The racks will now not be permenantly fitted:only when needed.

« Reply #3897 on: 21 June, 2011, 06:51:08 pm »
I have removed the Thule bike racks from the roof bars on the Volvo.

Last week I noted that one of the wheel clamps was missing from the spine of one of the racks.This morning one of the wheel straps was almost becoming dis-engaged from the ratchet buckle.
Neither of these things would become detached of their own volition & I have concluded that someone is interfering with the racks.
The car has not been far enough down the drive to activate the security light which may be a factor.
The racks will now not be permenantly fitted:only when needed.

You sneaky b****r.  I was coming back for the rest tonight!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3898 on: 21 June, 2011, 07:09:47 pm »
^^^^
 ;D

« Reply #3899 on: 22 June, 2011, 02:25:56 pm »
Front mudguard on the Etape. Clearance was too tight. Went out on Sunday, & mud from a mucky road got stuck under it. Every puddle from then on produced wet mud on wheel noises. Yeugh.

Trouble was, to move it up required bending the bracket which fits the guard to the brake bolt. Didn't have ideal tools, but got it done, & now have about 5mm extra clearance, which should do. More is possible, but would need more complex fettling.

New MTB brake blocks all round before the weekend. Mrs B noticed the difference, & was pleased.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897