Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 400981 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #2050 on: 23 March, 2020, 06:53:26 pm »
You can do the 5K2C programme now.

Not the most ambitious of targets though.

Quote from: sojournermike
Brilliant - very pleased to here it!

Thank you.  Much appreciated.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2051 on: 23 March, 2020, 07:24:09 pm »
You can do the 5K2C programme now.

Not the most ambitious of targets though.

It may all be a moot point past 8.30pm tonight.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2052 on: 23 March, 2020, 08:42:17 pm »
6.3km run today in the sun. strange not to see the emirates cable cars over the thames - they were always there either moving or stopped.

luckily we can still exercise outside.

« Reply #2053 on: 23 March, 2020, 08:57:07 pm »
Great news about the allowance of one run (or cycle) per day under the new lockdown advice.  That will do me.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #2054 on: 23 March, 2020, 10:42:32 pm »
I took Miss Dan Elder and Younger on the first run of a couch to 5k yesterday. My exercise may well alternate between that and a longer solo run for a while.

« Reply #2055 on: 23 March, 2020, 10:52:12 pm »
Keeping time to minimum is interesting - I've been running slowly a lot.

Meanwhile, back at the allotment committee, we're trying to work out if we can stay open or if working the gardens is banned. I'm inclining to the latter view, even though I don't think it's entirely obvious. Trying to get council guidance tomorrow.

« Reply #2056 on: 24 March, 2020, 07:04:13 am »
Great news about the allowance of one run (or cycle) per day under the new lockdown advice.  That will do me.

Yes, good news. :thumbsup: In more normal times I'd run in the morning, but I'll be moving this to lunchtime as of today - purely because if I go out in the morning, that's me indoors for the rest of the day; I'd rather break up the day a bit with some fresh air.

« Reply #2057 on: 24 March, 2020, 03:58:27 pm »

Meanwhile, back at the allotment committee, we're trying to work out if we can stay open or if working the gardens is banned. I'm inclining to the latter view, even though I don't think it's entirely obvious. Trying to get council guidance tomorrow.

We are hoping our allotments will stay open, they are a short walk from our house (5 minutes at the most if you drag your feet), and we've just put spuds in, and have a ton of muck to move.  We still have the kitchen garden though.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2058 on: 24 March, 2020, 04:06:31 pm »

I think this is one of those 'spirit of the law' vs 'letter of the law' things. Many grey areas.

You could probably justify a bit of digging and planting as 'exercise' and as long as you observe the social distancing rules, it should be a pretty safe activity. Just remember to use gloves and/or wipes when in contact with any potential points of transmission, eg entrance gate, communal taps.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2059 on: 24 March, 2020, 09:28:46 pm »
I managed to injure my Achilles on a duathlon a couple of months back, and it's been a slow road to recovery.
I can currently manage one run of about 5k a week.
I'm a bit sore after that, and need to let it rest for a week before I'm willing to have another cautious run.

Today at lunchtime, I did an 8k with junior who is home from uni.
Basically, half-way of my 8k running commute and then turn around.

I'm sore again, but that's to be expected.
I need to just build things up slowly.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3212727079

« Reply #2060 on: 25 March, 2020, 09:45:10 am »
It was quite busy at our local rec at 7:00a.m. this morning but social distancing was being applied much better than it was on Monday.

Did 5k again and feel happy about that. 

« Reply #2061 on: 25 March, 2020, 10:52:53 am »
Went again at 6am. We'll enough after 6 to drink some water and let the chickens out.

Cold but beautiful out. Not far as it really is years since I ran but it's making such a difference to my mood

« Reply #2062 on: 25 March, 2020, 04:11:01 pm »
In lieu of my usual 10mile each way commute, I'm trying to top up my aerobic exercise with a bit of jogging. My old (damaged) joints don't really like running, so I don't do a lot. To end of road and back is 4km and I can do that in 20min.

Paddling, 5.5km in 30min is relatively easy for me. I've cranked out 2km in 10min (that was hammering it a bit).

So my paddling speed is not much different to my running speed.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2063 on: 25 March, 2020, 04:14:24 pm »
Mr charly Iirc you do kayak racing? That's pretty good going. I paddle a 16 foot open canoe and unfortunately due to having not run in years there is probably not much difference in my speeds in either

« Reply #2064 on: 25 March, 2020, 04:20:08 pm »
Mr charly Iirc you do kayak racing? That's pretty good going. I paddle a 16 foot open canoe and unfortunately due to having not run in years there is probably not much difference in my speeds in either
I would race, if they weren't all cancelled . . .
At my level, you need to be able to sustain better than 5:30 per km to be within a chance of being near the front.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2065 on: 26 March, 2020, 01:00:46 pm »
In lieu of my usual 10mile each way commute, I'm trying to top up my aerobic exercise with a bit of jogging. My old (damaged) joints don't really like running, so I don't do a lot. To end of road and back is 4km and I can do that in 20min.

Paddling, 5.5km in 30min is relatively easy for me. I've cranked out 2km in 10min (that was hammering it a bit).

Cross-sport comparisons are fun.  My half-marathon PB on a Concept II Ergo is only 5 mins different from my half-marathon running PB
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #2066 on: 26 March, 2020, 02:48:41 pm »

Cross-sport comparisons are fun.  My half-marathon PB on a Concept II Ergo is only 5 mins different from my half-marathon running PB
I sort of object to people comparing times on rowing machines to  'on water' performance (I know you aren't). Rowing, like kayaking, is very technique-heavy. Using a rowing machine takes nearly all the technique requirements out of the picture.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2067 on: 26 March, 2020, 08:35:39 pm »
Too right. Last year out in my canoe going slowly a guy came past at a half decent pace in his kayak. Thing is he was making a right mess of the water and missing strokes etc. I guess if he smoothed his technique he would have been much faster for less effort.

Anyhow this is veering off running. Planning on my third run tomorrow to drop some yeast at a friend's house before work. Also planning on trying to kee it up when all this crap is over as its made a huge difference to my mentality and happiness

Davef

Cross Training: Running
« Reply #2068 on: 27 March, 2020, 06:05:24 am »
If you build up slowly you may find your painful joints improve. I run quite a lot these days and don’t have knee issues. That was not the case 10 years ago before I started running.

« Reply #2069 on: 28 March, 2020, 06:48:44 pm »
Switched to another attempt at C25K in early February and started week 9 today.  With the impending lockdown of doom I decided to go for the 5K rather than for 30 minutes and hey presto, I did it!

Chuffed to bits but will all my efforts be in vain I wonder?

And today I have completed the 9 week programme.  I have in fact taken myself slightly off plan and done a little more most weeks.  It's done: I have "graduated"!!!

I also have a Bridge to 10k schedule that I have drawn up myself.  Hoping to reach 10k before the attack dogs are let out of their kennels ...

If you like a bit of youtube check out The Running Channel.  I have found it to be very motivating.

« Reply #2070 on: 28 March, 2020, 10:58:36 pm »

And today I have completed the 9 week programme.  I have in fact taken myself slightly off plan and done a little more most weeks.  It's done: I have "graduated"!!!

I also have a Bridge to 10k schedule that I have drawn up myself.  Hoping to reach 10k before the attack dogs are let out of their kennels ...

Well done and good luck with the 10k.

Davef

« Reply #2071 on: 29 March, 2020, 06:09:34 pm »
I saw an ostrich on my run today. Was hoping for elephants - should have gone earlier in the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #2072 on: 29 March, 2020, 08:04:07 pm »
Switched to another attempt at C25K in early February and started week 9 today.  With the impending lockdown of doom I decided to go for the 5K rather than for 30 minutes and hey presto, I did it!

Chuffed to bits but will all my efforts be in vain I wonder?

Well done PB!

I’m still languishing on Week 6. For the past few weeks I have done W6R1 and then not done the others during the week, as I’d need to do them before going to work and I haven’t felt up to it. Must do better.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2073 on: 30 March, 2020, 09:10:29 am »
And today I have completed the 9 week programme.

Well done!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2074 on: 30 March, 2020, 10:11:01 am »
Thanks folks.

And in 20 minutes I shall leave the house in my running kit to walk the 1km to the rec which has a safe loop.  Round and round and round I go.    :)

Bridge to 10k starts today.   :thumbsup: