Author Topic: Bivvys and bivvying.  (Read 14919 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Bivvys and bivvying.
« Reply #25 on: 24 August, 2018, 07:43:15 pm »
As good as any for the price would be the Alpkit Hunka

I tried to buy a Hunka a while ago but they were out of stock. This thread reminded me of that so I just had a look on the Alpkit website and they're back in. So I've ordered one.  :thumbsup:

I shall be giving it its first outing on the Fenland Friends 600 in a couple of weeks.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #26 on: 24 August, 2018, 08:07:01 pm »
I've got a Hunka.  Last time I used it was actually on the Flatlands two years ago.
I like it, breathes well and has kept me surprisingly warm in a couple of cold spots.

I also used to have an OR Helium which I absolutely hated, and sold it on eBay.  The one time I used it with the top done up so that I was completely inside it, I woke up and thought I was suffocating.  And it was really sweaty other times - woke up cold on warm mornings because I was so wet.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #27 on: 24 August, 2018, 08:28:22 pm »
I've got a Hunka.  Last time I used it was actually on the Flatlands two years ago.
I like it, breathes well and has kept me surprisingly warm in a couple of cold spots.

Good to know. I have a lightweight LifeVenture sleeping bag that's fine for summer camping but only rated down to 12ºC for comfort so if the bivvy can provide a bit of extra insulation, that would be good. But I reckon I should be fine if I find a well-sheltered spot like one of these famous audax hotels I keep hearing about.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #28 on: 24 August, 2018, 09:06:22 pm »
I've just started bivvying this summer and so far so good on 3 outings

Once in the south downs treated to a glorious sunrise, once on the really hot weather when I didn't fancy sleeping at home, I went out locally on Friday night and just found a corn field when I got tired. Then last week did coasts and castles with my 17 year old son an we bivvyed the first night by the beach overlooking lindisfarne. It was great and memorable.

Learnt so far :
Hunka is good
Taking a bin bag or dry bag is useful. I can put my bits - shoes, helmet etc in there and they dry if it rains.
I've survived without a sleeping mat. Main issue is that you feel the cold more without it. I may buy one but wanted to try it out first.
It's cold in the morning! Need to get moving quickly
A hat is useful to stay warm overnight. I just used a buff folded into a hat

I'll pack it for fenland friends and use it if I stop.

[

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #29 on: 24 August, 2018, 09:21:16 pm »
Hmm, thinking simple tarp rigged at an angle using one side of the landrover as anchors (roofrack) and windbreak?

Then I'd say you'll be fine if you tarp is big enough (British Army basha is cheap and a good choice).

Have a look at the youtube videos of Paul Kirtley for some good tips on tarping.

Hmm, how to hide gear purchase from SWMBO?  I already have cooking and eating gear, just need the camping gear.

On this I have no advice, I have no partner to justify my purchase too...

J

I'm a big fan of Ray Mears, was watching him just this evening in Yellowstone. I'll look up Mr K though as well. 

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #30 on: 24 August, 2018, 09:22:59 pm »
I've just started bivvying this summer and so far so good on 3 outings

Welcome to the madness!

Learnt so far :
Hunka is good
Taking a bin bag or dry bag is useful. I can put my bits - shoes, helmet etc in there and they dry if it rains.

Get a dry bag, keep your sleeping bag dry when travelling.

In summer I put my shoes on two sticks banged into the ground next to my bivvi (assuming suitable availability of sticks), if it's raining I put them inside the inside out dry bag my sleeping bag was in, and put them in the bottom of my bivvi bag, the sticking them on the sticks thing keeps the slugs out.

In winter, I do the same thing with the inside out dry bag, but put it in the bottom of my sleeping bag so as to stop them freezing.

As for Helmet, I just hang it over my handle bars, if it gets wet, it gets wet...

Other useful trick: get a pair of seal skins, wear these at night, so that if your shoes got wet during the day, you don't get cold wet feet. Relatedly, I don't put wet shoes in the sleeping bag if I can avoid it...

I've survived without a sleeping mat. Main issue is that you feel the cold more without it. I may buy one but wanted to try it out first.
It's cold in the morning! Need to get moving quickly
A hat is useful to stay warm overnight. I just used a buff folded into a hat

I'll pack it for fenland friends and use it if I stop.

Brave. The sleeping mat is really useful, we lose a lot of our body heat to the ground, get one even if it's a cheap CCF one. It's not about the comfort, but more about the insulation it brings.

Happy bivvying!
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #31 on: 24 August, 2018, 09:23:52 pm »
I'm a big fan of Ray Mears, was watching him just this evening in Yellowstone. I'll look up Mr K though as well.

Paul learnt under the instruction of Ray. Was his course director for a while.

J
--

« Reply #32 on: 24 August, 2018, 09:47:09 pm »
I'll have my landrover so no issues about carrying kit, and Scotland, so right to roam and wildcamp.   

Dave, I assume you are riding the Cruzbike, but are you pulling the Landrover or the other way round?

ElyDave

« Reply #33 on: 24 August, 2018, 10:07:46 pm »
Plan for summer 2019 is to do some more Island hopping,but use the Landrover to carry the bike and then do day rides rather than touring with bike.

Plan so far is
•   Sunday – Drive up to Oban, about 9 hours or so
•   Monday – mooch around Oban, do the distillery tour, take the last ferry to Mull
•   Tuesday – Day ride on Mull
•   Wednesday – shorter day ride on Mull, visit Mull distillery (Tobermory)
•   Thursday – Take the early ferry back to Oban, drive down to Campbeltown, visit a distillery, drive back up to Kennacraig, late ferry to Islay
•   Friday – Drive or ride around Islay, possibly a day ride to some areas I missed this time, like the Oa Peninsula, and the Port Ellen distilleries
•   Saturday – Islay Half Marathon
•   Sunday – Ride of the Falling Rain
•   Monday - early ferry back to Kennacraig, and drive back home

Aiming to hit both Islay half and the ROTFR I think it'd be beyond my kit-carrying capabilities, plus I'd like to bring some "produce" home with me this time as well.  Thoughts are turning to Sunday to Thursday as camping, Thurs night on I have B&B booked already

« Reply #34 on: 24 August, 2018, 10:19:58 pm »
Essentially then, you are car camping?

I don't know how long the Landrover is, but I have a VW Tiguan and behind the rear seats - actually these are the middle seats since there is another set of folded down midget seats near the back door, but anyway - with the rear seats collapsed I have 6'2" behind the front seats to the back door, long enough to accommodate my 5'10" frame so I would sleep in that rather than outside, is that a choice for you?

Most of my camping has been done in the Sierra Nevadas where it is extremely dry, hot during the day and cold at night, so a bivvy is an option. But for the planned Lejog, next early summer, I am leaning towards a bivvy, and maybe the Hunka XL which is cheaper by far than any of the US options.

I have enough very light one-man tents but the challenge is going to be getting everything in the chosen bags, so a bivvy stands out as a space-saving option.

ElyDave

« Reply #35 on: 24 August, 2018, 10:26:03 pm »
Essentially then, you are car camping?

I don't know how long the Landrover is, but I have a VW Tiguan and behind the rear seats - actually these are the middle seats since there is another set of folded down midget seats near the back door, but anyway - with the rear seats collapsed I have 6'2" behind the front seats to the back door, long enough to accommodate my 5'10" frame so I would sleep in that rather than outside, is that a choice for you?

Most of my camping has been done in the Sierra Nevadas where it is extremely dry, hot during the day and cold at night, so a bivvy is an option. But for the planned Lejog, next early summer, I am leaning towards a bivvy, and maybe the Hunka XL which is cheaper by far than any of the US options.

I have enough very light one-man tents but the challenge is going to be getting everything in the chosen bags, so a bivvy stands out as a space-saving option.

LR Disco seats (Mk II) do not fold into a dead-flat space, theoretically yes, practically no. In any case that's the space occupied by the Cruzbike.  I'd find it easier to sleep outside than faff around putting the bike in/out etc, plus I like outside, as I get older I'm liking inside less and outside more.

« Reply #36 on: 24 August, 2018, 10:29:42 pm »

Good to know. I have a lightweight LifeVenture sleeping bag that's fine for summer camping but only rated down to 12ºC for comfort so if the bivvy can provide a bit of extra insulation, that would be good. But I reckon I should be fine if I find a well-sheltered spot like one of these famous audax hotels I keep hearing about.

I've never used a sleeping bag in mine, just a thin down jacket (it was my TCR setup). Sleeping bag would be more comfortable though. My top tip, which I did on Flatlands as it was a cold night, was to delay sleeping so I would wake up after sunrise when it was starting to get warm. I'm not good at getting going when it is really cold.

« Reply #37 on: 24 August, 2018, 10:33:20 pm »
I understand.

An earlier friend of mind who was  deep sea diver - from somewhere in the Midlands working on the oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico (and sadly later died from deep sea tragedy) - always kept his bike in his SUV when camping with his off-road bike because he was more concerned with his bike being stolen overnight than with him being messed with.

I suppose one could chain the bike to one's foot overnight?

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #38 on: 24 August, 2018, 10:39:12 pm »
GCN is definitely slipping a bit in my opinion but their bit about bike packing in Morocco was really good. They did a special episode about bivvying.

https://youtu.be/_qUgPD7oSXg

Not sure about sleeping in my shorts though 😷
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #39 on: 24 August, 2018, 10:50:45 pm »
Not sure about sleeping in a body bag either! But then I once met some hikers who were planning to sleep in a tomb, which I wouldn't fancy either, even though it hadn't been used for about four thousand years...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #40 on: 24 August, 2018, 10:57:19 pm »
Probably best not to bivvy in a dry river bed I'd say! ;)
GCN is definitely slipping a bit in my opinion but their bit about bike packing in Morocco was really good. They did a special episode about bivvying.

Not sure about sleeping in my shorts though
Regards,

Joergen

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #41 on: 24 August, 2018, 11:02:34 pm »
Also on tracks where there are clear tyre marks of cars or trucks.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #42 on: 24 August, 2018, 11:03:44 pm »
I understand.

An earlier friend of mind who was  deep sea diver - from somewhere in the Midlands working on the oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico (and sadly later died from deep sea tragedy) - always kept his bike in his SUV when camping with his off-road bike because he was more concerned with his bike being stolen overnight than with him being messed with.

I suppose one could chain the bike to one's foot overnight?

I run a piece of black string that is tied to the bike, and run it to round my wrist, as well as locking the bike. Anyone trying to nick the bike is going to wake me that way...

GCN are slipping in some areas, but the quality of the videos from Dr Pooley are very much an improvement on previous offerings.

I don't sleep in my shorts, I pack some very light very thin microfibre knickers to wear at night, a long with a light weight merino base layer so that I can have a dry set of clothes to sleep in.

Not sure about sleeping in a body bag either! But then I once met some hikers who were planning to sleep in a tomb, which I wouldn't fancy either, even though it hadn't been used for about four thousand years...

I wouldn't sleep in a bivvi bag, it's not breathable, and if you close the zip you're going to run out of gas RSN...

I've done it once, in Catalonia. There was no forecast of rain for a good week or more, so it felt ok. In the middle of the night I was woken by the sound of heavy breathing. I lay there unarmed in my zipless bivvi bag, then the breathing turned into snuffling and I realised it was a wild boar. I fell asleep just after it disappeared off down river. It woke me a time later going back up rive, before finally waking me a third time. I heard it coming closer and closer. I hadn't expected wild boar in the area, so hadn't hung my food in a tree... so the smelly mature cheese was in a backpack, next to my head. As the boar got closer and closer, I decided if it's going to attack me, I'm going to at least look it in the eye as it does it. Fortunately the movement spooked it and it buggered off.

Slept the rest of the night without issue...

J
--

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #43 on: 24 August, 2018, 11:09:27 pm »
Sounds like an ace adventure... Beats my two bivvy nights on the decking so far :)
Regards,

Joergen

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #44 on: 24 August, 2018, 11:10:41 pm »

I've done it once, in Catalonia. There was no forecast of rain for a good week or more, so it felt ok. In the middle of the night I was woken by the sound of heavy breathing. I lay there unarmed in my zipless bivvi bag, then the breathing turned into snuffling and I realised it was a wild boar. I fell asleep just after it disappeared off down river. It woke me a time later going back up rive, before finally waking me a third time. I heard it coming closer and closer. I hadn't expected wild boar in the area, so hadn't hung my food in a tree... so the smelly mature cheese was in a backpack, next to my head. As the boar got closer and closer, I decided if it's going to attack me, I'm going to at least look it in the eye as it does it. Fortunately the movement spooked it and it buggered off.

Slept the rest of the night without issue...

J
Dzik jest dziki, dzik jest zły,
Dzik ma bardzo ostre kły!

The boar is wild, the boar is fierce,
The boar has very sharp tusks!

A Polish children's verse... but in fact experts say boar are not dangerous to humans, unless they feel threatened of course. I don't know. I've only once seen them, a family in the woods at dusk; they looked at me, I looked at them, then they evidently decided I was neither eating nor to be eaten and went back to digging in the ground. Farmers hate them though.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #45 on: 24 August, 2018, 11:20:42 pm »
GCN are slipping in some areas, but the quality of the videos from Dr Pooley are very much an improvement on previous offerings.

EP is definitely carrying the team right now.

I really miss the brick  :'(

He doesn't strike me as the bivvying type though.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

ElyDave

« Reply #46 on: 24 August, 2018, 11:22:12 pm »

I don't habitually sleep in my shorts, far less than that  :P

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #47 on: 24 August, 2018, 11:24:08 pm »
Dzik jest dziki, dzik jest zły,
Dzik ma bardzo ostre kły!

The boar is wild, the boar is fierce,
The boar has very sharp tusks!

A Polish children's verse... but in fact experts say boar are not dangerous to humans, unless they feel threatened of course. I don't know. I've only once seen them, a family in the woods at dusk; they looked at me, I looked at them, then they evidently decided I was neither eating nor to be eaten and went back to digging in the ground. Farmers hate them though.

They can attack when they have young. But, my biggest concern was that if it started rummaging in my backpack, and I then disturbed it, it would attack...

EP is definitely carrying the team right now.

I really miss the brick  :'(

He doesn't strike me as the bivvying type though.

I have invited Emma and Katherine to come do RatN next year, I don't wanna be the only girl...

J
--

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #48 on: 24 August, 2018, 11:45:50 pm »
I tried out full cycle kit bivvy on my last experiment one and didn't have a problem... Just need to get my ass into gear for a proper bivvy, unfortunately that looks like it will be October now at best.

Not sure about sleeping in my shorts though

I don't habitually sleep in my shorts, far less than that 
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #49 on: 25 August, 2018, 07:57:39 am »
I was just about to start booking b&b's for next summer's island hopping, but this is giving me ideas. I'll have my landrover so no issues about carrying kit, and Scotland, so right to roam and wildcamp.   

I quite fancy the idea of bivvying rather than full on camping. I have a CCF sleeping mat somewhere, so I'd need tarp and bivvy bag.  My sleeping bag is an old ex forces v. heavy feather filled number, nice and warm, but seemed to have developed a leak last time I used it it.

You have no right to roam and wildcamp if you have a motorised vehicle with you.
The access legislation only applies to walkers, cyclists, kayakers, etc.