Author Topic: Fireworks  (Read 5560 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Fireworks
« Reply #25 on: 05 November, 2013, 10:41:02 pm »
You can only get fireworks in Denmark the month up to new year. We used to make our own big bangs, pipe bombs etc., since the ones you could get in DK were weak. Ok now you can get more powerful ones, I have heard of roofs and windows blow off/out because the "rocket" didn't go up.

We used to go to Germany and smuggle in more powerful fireworks. I know of people who bought the fireworks (more powerful stuff than in DK) at xmas time in Sweden, hide it in their Swedish summer house until the next summer, to then bring it home since the border control didn't check for fireworks in the summer months.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #26 on: 06 November, 2013, 11:45:11 pm »
Just got round to doing pictures from last night. Not just fireworks, but torches, racing burning barrels over cobbles, dressing up, bands, effigies...

(picture is a link if you want more)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27 on: 07 November, 2013, 11:08:33 am »
 :thumbsup: Anyone would think you were celebrating something to do with fire and gunpowder. Isn't it supposed to be pumpkins?  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #28 on: 07 November, 2013, 11:46:47 am »
The Pre-Newtonian Moggy having lost a long and closely-fought dispute over our block's garden with one Claudius1, her territory now ranges around the back of some clearly very wealthy people's homes, wealthy enough to let off a truly enormous and window-rattling series of whizzbangs. I'm sure garden fireworks used to be much less threatening: a few sparklers all round and then a rocket or at most two, one of which wouldn't go off at all so you'd all retreat inside disappointed  leaving it to be recovered damply the next day. Our poor cat must have found herself right in the middle of it all, and vanished entirely, eventually asking to be let in at five in the morning. She even missed her supper.

[1] fele anteneuutoniana contra Claudium quidem in bello longo commino victa. Never let a good ablative absolute go to waste.
Not especially helpful or mature

Chris S

« Reply #29 on: 09 November, 2013, 07:06:55 pm »
Oooh - Excellent!

Clearly the local community was divided on the whole "blow your wad on the 2nd, or keep your powder dry 'til the 9th?" question  :thumbsup:.

* opens curtains *

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #30 on: 10 November, 2013, 08:52:51 pm »
We let a load off last night (had a party with next door).  Very successful.

Have you ever noticed that the names of them usually sound like unspeakable sexual perversions?  I'll just leave this here (NSFW)

http://www.b3ta.com/board/10869199
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #31 on: 06 November, 2017, 01:58:40 pm »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 06 November, 2017, 02:08:07 pm »
Have you ever noticed that the names of them usually sound like unspeakable sexual perversions?  I'll just leave this here (NSFW)

http://www.b3ta.com/board/10869199

b3ta on top form there!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #33 on: 06 November, 2017, 02:08:46 pm »
Gawd Bless Modern Toss. They've perfectly summed up our local display last night:

There is a 20m high grassy knoll right outside the venue. We probably had a better view than the paying customers  ;D

[I'm not proud of this ... but then I'd vote for no private fireworks, and spending our local taxes on 1 big town display.]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #34 on: 06 November, 2017, 02:39:54 pm »
Some tossers started their display at 11:30 last night. Huge bangs as well, not rockets. Bet locals who had small kids loved them.

Didn't stop until after midnight.

I used to like fireworks, but I'm firmly off the "lets have a big organised display" on one night rather than piss-poor noisy things going off every night for a couple of weeks.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #35 on: 06 November, 2017, 02:41:40 pm »
Gawd Bless Modern Toss. They've perfectly summed up our local display last night:

There is a 20m high grassy knoll right outside the venue. We probably had a better view than the paying customers  ;D

[I'm not proud of this ... but then I'd vote for no private fireworks, and spending our local taxes on 1 big town display.]

I've just nicked that
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 06 November, 2017, 02:43:49 pm »
The other night we were sandwiched between two fireworks displays:  Out the front somewhere in the middle distance were the traditional loud bangs.  When I went to the loo, I realised that there was another, quieter display going on in one of the nearby gardens, as flashes of shimmering light were visible through the frosted window, punctuated by a number of people going "Oooh!"   :thumbsup:

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #37 on: 06 November, 2017, 02:46:27 pm »
Starts at Diwali and ends at New Year round our way, with a few small breaks. I don't mind so much as I love fireworks but the mess gets annoying.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #38 on: 06 November, 2017, 03:09:00 pm »
In Spain they target each others churches with salvos or rockets and its called culture.

We happened by chance to be in Barcelona one year for the Festes de la Mercè, which culminated in the 'Correfoc' (fire run). During the early evening, there was a parade of giant papier maché monsters through the city centre, towards the square in front of the cathedral where they lined up behind the gates of hell. Towards midnight, we bagged a spot down by the railings to ensure we got a good view when the gates were opened. Just before midnight, some people came down and removed the barriers, and most of the crowd started moving back towards the safety of the cathedral steps. Not being any the wiser, we stayed where we were.

Then as the clocks struck midnight, the gates opened and the monsters poured through, all laden with fireworks going off left right and centre, along with people dressed as demons chucking yet more fireworks about all over the place. There was so much noise, fire and smoke that I got completely disoriented and didn't know which way I was running. It was abso-fucking-lutely terrifying. And totally and utterly brilliant.

https://youtu.be/DD4zmd0x2ro
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #39 on: 06 November, 2017, 03:39:13 pm »
Citoyen: that looks like NY in Denmark, when I was younger, if you removed the drums and safety glasses :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Martin

« Reply #40 on: 06 November, 2017, 03:51:14 pm »
I managed to beat the total road closure and removal of all train services in Lewes by riding in; seemed a bit less busy than usual, (ie prolly only 70,000 rather than 80,000 peeps in a town pop. 16,000)

they don't just commemorate 5th Nov but also the burning of the Lewes Martyrs in 160 something, plus a large Remembrance theme. The 5 societies all have their own bonfire, procession and display and make a big thing of out-fireworking each other.

Usual political tableaux this year May finally got her comeuppance as a pistol as well as trident wielding Britannia; Trump (there were 4 of him all with that other bloke with the dodgy hairdo ) was superb sitting aboard a missile complete with Hannibal strait jacket / face mask

This year's political controversy was the cessation of some of the procession blacking up as Zulu's; in favour of some real ones who were very welcome

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #41 on: 06 November, 2017, 03:55:38 pm »
The correfoc looks brilliant. For those who want fire and fiesta and fear, it's all there. But for those who don't it can (presumably) be escaped by staying away. Total contrast to diwali, which is everywhere and chokes you with its smoke.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #42 on: 07 November, 2017, 03:54:46 pm »
Starts at Diwali and ends at New Year round our way, with a few small breaks. I don't mind so much as I love fireworks but the mess gets annoying.

Same dates round here BUT

1)  The cats don't like them
2)  A rocket attack displaced a roof tile a few years ago
3)  We get a lot of firework detritus
4) The detonations continue late in the night, disturbing many.

Turning me into a Grumpy Old Woman...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #43 on: 06 January, 2018, 08:44:03 pm »
There's a big fire right now in central Bristol (one of the university buildings) and the video looks just like Diwali!
http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/park-street-fire-live-updates-1021777

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #44 on: 07 January, 2018, 11:17:12 am »
I've noticed that quite a few of the spent fireworks I've seen lying around since New Year used plastic tubes instead of the rolled paper and card we used to have. That's something that needs to be banned PDQ.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #45 on: 07 January, 2018, 04:35:01 pm »
Post Bastille Day fireworks we came home to find a ginormous hunting dog cowering under a table in our barn.  Sitting looking at it with mild curiosity were our two cats.  Next day we were able to find its owner, a farmer 4 km away.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #46 on: 07 January, 2018, 08:00:12 pm »
I luv 'em. Used to work in a pyrotechnics research place. We used to spend every lunch break in October and the last week before the site's Nov 5 bonfire night preparing the display. Given the nature of the work we had access to some explosive compositions that were not commercially available. The lead on all this was a chap who used to be part of one of the Lewes bonfire societies and had also won the best display at the annual Pyrotechnician's conference (that year on Guernsey I think).

Pyromaniacs, the lot of them. Great days.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #47 on: 07 January, 2018, 08:16:40 pm »
I don't understand why grown adults enjoy fireworks. I know what a firework display looks like, I don't need to see another one. I even saw what was at the time, the biggest firework display in history (Sydney around 200x) and I was still underwhelmed...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!