Author Topic: DOTD  (Read 214560 times)

Re: DOTD
« Reply #550 on: 23 December, 2016, 05:09:58 pm »
Where I worked a railwayman lost both legs crossing the track in a shunting yard.  His foot caught in the points just as the loco approached. 

Move Faster and Bake Things

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #551 on: 24 December, 2016, 06:16:10 pm »
Pavement cyclist who nearly right-hooked me on the Raddlebarn Road by jumping off a kerb without looking at just the wrong moment in order to cross to a side-road on the other side.  Presumably my fault for having oil on my chain.

Judging by the fresh motorised damage to the local lamppost population, I'd say they were in good company.

« Reply #552 on: 02 January, 2017, 06:36:50 pm »
Complete moron sailed through a red light through a crossroads, looking to his left, crossing 4 lanes of traffic. Fortunately (as they were heading into the sun) the crossing cars were paying attention and braked to a halt rather than hitting him.

Utterly unbelievable, if one car (correctly travelling through a green light) hadn't hit their brakes and come to a complete halt, this moron would have been hamburger.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #553 on: 05 January, 2017, 02:11:00 pm »
Artic coming down the A38 Bridgwater Road towards Barrow Gurney overtaking a cyclist (going well over 20mph) in a gap between two islands considerably shorter than the distance needed needed to clear him at about 0710 this morning.  Looked close when the driver opted to just move left rather than abort the overtake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #554 on: 05 January, 2017, 04:05:48 pm »
The Motorised Moron thread is down there VVVV.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #555 on: 05 January, 2017, 08:30:43 pm »
Me today  ::-).

Mistimed my roll into an advanced stop box then had a clipped in moment as the lights went green.

Apologies to Mr Patient BMW driver as I rescued myself from 45 degrees to horizontal and limped to the pavement .....
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #556 on: 05 January, 2017, 09:19:45 pm »
So, a sunny January day. A great mass of people, dressed mainly in black, emerge from a church , outside of which a hearse is parked. It's a good bet that they've just been to a funeral and are feeling sad.  They walk up the narrow lane towards their parked cars.

A cyclist approaches the group. Does he

A. Slow down, think a little about how the other people are feeling?

B. Bellow "cyclist coming through" and attack the climb, weaving through the mourners?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #557 on: 06 January, 2017, 08:20:27 am »
So, a sunny January day. A great mass of people, dressed mainly in black, emerge from a church , outside of which a hearse is parked. It's a good bet that they've just been to a funeral and are feeling sad.  They walk up the narrow lane towards their parked cars.

A cyclist approaches the group. Does he

A. Slow down, think a little about how the other people are feeling?

B. Bellow "cyclist coming through" and attack the climb, weaving through the mourners?
The Super Twat thread is that way
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #558 on: 06 January, 2017, 10:57:40 am »
What a knob!.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #559 on: 12 January, 2017, 10:16:42 am »
Coming to this a bit late (catching up after my xmuss holibobs)

Cyclist's near-miss with train

I was just about to post that one.  HTF can you miss a train?

If you're forced to use Grant Palmer buses to get to Biggleswade station - very easily.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #560 on: 14 January, 2017, 02:23:50 pm »
Was trundling along the riverside cycle path at a reasonable pace and approaching to overtake a pedestrian who is keeping well to the left.  As there is loads of room and he is walking in a straight line I decide not to ring my bell.   70 metres further on, a dog walker has spotted me and suddenly starts to take early precautions.   Seeing this, the pedestrian suddenly decides to change sides just in front of me.  Why, when the dog walker is so far away, I don't know. 

I have to do a very quick emergency stop (Hard Brakesit?), the rear wheel skidding over the edge of the cycle path towards an early and very cold bath in the River Ouse.  But luckily I stay upright. The elderly Irishman I have just missed and the dog walker are so profusely (and needlessly?) apologetic I can only laugh it off.

Always ring the bell, I guess.

« Reply #561 on: 17 January, 2017, 04:13:50 pm »
Had you rung your bell, he would have moved to the right, stopped in hte centre, turned to look which way to go leaving you the only option to stop or take the 50:50. You know I'm right.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #562 on: 17 January, 2017, 04:14:48 pm »
Depends how early you ping.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #563 on: 17 January, 2017, 10:47:03 pm »
You can't win more than about a third of the time whatever you decide to do with your bell.

The best way to get pedestrians to act sensibly around cycles on shared paths is studded tyres, but they're not 100% reliable, and hardly worth fitting for that purpose alone.

« Reply #564 on: 20 January, 2017, 06:42:34 pm »
Riding through York station car park. I turn blind corner in car park, ahead of me a car has just pulled out of a space and is starting to drive towards me down a narrow space. I slow and move left.

"Woah" there is a shout and DOAB hits my left arm as he undertakes me shooting past.

doesn't apologise or slow

I catch them as they exit car park on far corner onto quiet street. They pull out onto street and ride down the right hand side of the street.

Yup, DOTD
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #565 on: 20 January, 2017, 08:39:17 pm »
Last night, coming out of the Law Society on Chancery Lane and walking down Fleet St to City Thameslink. Two people on Boris bikes, riding the same way, one on each side of the road. Yup: she couldn't see a gap in traffic to cross to her friend, so she rode the wrong way down the road until she could swing across to join him, and of course without a look over her shoulder.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #566 on: 20 January, 2017, 09:10:42 pm »
A sort of comedy slow-motion lemming:  Without looking, a pedestrian started to cross the road some distance in front of me, at a sedate pace.  I eased off accordingly.  As he got about halfway across he happened to glance in my direction, startled and made some sort of "Arrgh!" noise, in fitting with being mown down by a speeding lycra lout.  I shrugged and passed behind him at below 10mph with about 2 metres of clearance.

Probably a Bristol Post reader visiting Brum on holiday.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #567 on: 20 January, 2017, 09:50:09 pm »
A sort of comedy slow-motion lemming:  Without looking, a pedestrian started to cross the road some distance in front of me, at a sedate pace.  I eased off accordingly.  As he got about halfway across he happened to glance in my direction, startled and made some sort of "Arrgh!" noise, in fitting with being mown down by a speeding lycra lout.  I shrugged and passed behind him at below 10mph with about 2 metres of clearance.

Probably a Bristol Post reader visiting Brum on holiday.

You hooligan, you.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #568 on: 25 January, 2017, 08:24:02 am »
Talking of (real)  'ooligans..

Had words with a fellow cyclist, on a SOTA mtb, dressed in full gear (the cyclist not the mtb ::-)).  Early 20s I'd say.

About to join the Knavesmire cycle track I waited for him to whizz past.  As he did so, he yelled loudly and aggressively at a woman walking her dogs:  "GET OUT OF MY WAY".   She had done nothing wrong, and I believe the cyclist had not spotted me watching. 

Once on the track I found my normal speed was enough to keep pace with him and when we met at a gate I said politely I thought his behaviour was unnecessary and got us all a bad name.  At that point he was joined by a mate and we carried on.  Our speeds being similar he gave me a tirade about the sins of dog walkers.  I find the dog walkers are generally considerate to cyclists so I told him that as it was a shared facility we had to live with that and that his behaviour was not helpful.  We left it there.

I doubt they were experienced mtbers judging by their roadcraft later.  Hopefully they will become less aggressive.         

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #569 on: 26 January, 2017, 12:38:39 am »
...or dead.

Meanwhile, why would you try to ride 1700km home, from somewhere you don't know, without being able to read a map? What's the worst that could happen?

Well, you could ride 500km in the wrong direction.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #570 on: 26 January, 2017, 08:29:06 am »
...or dead.

Meanwhile, why would you try to ride 1700km home, from somewhere you don't know, without being able to read a map? What's the worst that could happen?

Well, you could ride 500km in the wrong direction.

Although DOTD occurred to me as an option, I posted that story under commuting.   Reason was that I have no idea what it's like being 'a young migrant worker' in China.  Or what I could do to find my way around!

When I was in Kenya we met a hotel worker who ran home.  It took him 12 hours and he did the two way journey every week and his route took him through the bush. He had no choice if he wanted to earn a wage.

« Reply #571 on: 26 January, 2017, 11:34:46 am »
I nominate the Santander bike rider who hit the bus I was on yesterday.

Bus was pulling in to a bus stop and moving very slowly, because there was already a bus in the stop. I think the bus was signalling.
Santander bike rider decided to undertake the bus, hit the side of the bus with his hand and banged into it with handlebars. Bus driver stopped completely (they were only doing about 5mph anyway) rider wobbled, finished the undertake, then tried to overtake the bus ahead that was signalling to pull out from the bus stop. I felt sorry for the driver.

Serious lemming behaviour.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #572 on: 13 February, 2017, 01:57:43 pm »
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

spindrift

« Reply #573 on: 13 February, 2017, 09:18:34 pm »
Faker than a big fake thing.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #574 on: 13 February, 2017, 10:58:43 pm »
Eh?  Is it me?  I don't actually see anything happen.  I don't actually see anything not happen either.  I don't get it.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.