Author Topic: Ever had stuff thrown at you (whilst cycling)?  (Read 16010 times)

Re: Ever had stuff thrown at you (whilst cycling)?
« Reply #75 on: 24 July, 2008, 08:41:26 pm »
I wish I could claim it for myself,

What I really enjoyed was that you wrote that whole phrase out, but not the word p*nc+*r#.  :)

...but as long as they're free range you happy to have the occasional lob at an unsuspecting passer-by??

Note to admins--I think our subspace irony beacons need replacement.
scottclark.photoshelter.com

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #76 on: 24 July, 2008, 08:46:02 pm »
A chip.  With ketchup on.
And a little bit of orange squash. 

After I stopped to tell them not to shout at cyclists again.

« Reply #77 on: 13 November, 2009, 09:46:21 pm »
Time to resurrect this thread.

A plastic bag of something came over the hedge in Yateley this evening. Hit my jaw and the inside of my right arm before going under the wheels of the car that was on my tail.

Cue laughter from behind the hedge.

I am just glad that instinct kept me peddling as getting thrown by the fixie in front of said car. I shall have to report it tomorrow incase a pattern forms.

« Reply #78 on: 13 November, 2009, 09:51:48 pm »
Bottle of non-diet Coke.

That stuff sure is sticky.

« Reply #79 on: 12 January, 2020, 06:13:20 pm »
Not cycling but once in establishment that served refreshing beverages someone threw a beer glass at my head. No idea why didn't even see them and thankfully I have a robust cranium

The impressive part was I managed to catch it on the rebound

« Reply #80 on: 13 January, 2020, 09:30:03 am »
On the way to a FNRttC a number of years back I was struck by something in the middle of my back. It was thrown from the passenger seat of a passing light van and then bounced off the side of the bridge into the Thames in Staines. When reported on the phone to the police and they asked about calling back later it took a little explaining to say that any time would be fine. They duly called back at about 3am while we were on the road.

Unfortunately the CCTV was pointing the wrong way. However I got enough of the number plate and the jump of the red lights was picked up resulting in words with the owner and his nephew who had borrowed it.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #81 on: 13 January, 2020, 01:23:29 pm »

I had fireworks fired at me in Amsterdam last new year.

Dutch people can't be trusted with fireworks...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #82 on: 13 January, 2020, 01:37:50 pm »
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #83 on: 13 January, 2020, 05:07:30 pm »
Quite some years ago I was cycling through a Norfolk village about 2am no one apparently about and I had a bottle thrown at me, hit my front wheel. It was a very odd occurrence.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #84 on: 13 January, 2020, 05:21:16 pm »
On the way to a FNRttC a number of years back I was struck by something in the middle of my back. It was thrown from the passenger seat of a passing light van and then bounced off the side of the bridge into the Thames in Staines. When reported on the phone to the police and they asked about calling back later it took a little explaining to say that any time would be fine. They duly called back at about 3am while we were on the road.

Unfortunately the CCTV was pointing the wrong way. However I got enough of the number plate and the jump of the red lights was picked up resulting in words with the owner and his nephew who had borrowed it.

That reminds me.  In 2017 I was doing a recce for the Shoreham FNRttC.  Along the A237 between Carshalton and Coulsdon, I had the passenger of a red Corsa throw eggs at me.  On their first pass, one missed, and I felt the other bounce off my back (hard boiled?).  They must have turned off and gone round the block, as I soon noticed the car coming up behind me again, but foiled them by jamming the brakes on as they approached, so his next volley missed, and I then turned off to avoid them.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #85 on: 13 January, 2020, 08:09:48 pm »
only a punch, back when I was a schoolboy cycling home, the local meathead who took the bust to "the other school" decided he didn't like people from my school on bikes. Second time he got my size 8 in his kneecap
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #86 on: 15 January, 2020, 09:42:48 am »
Every time I see this thread, the Buzzcocks start singing in my head. Although it doesn't even scan properly.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.