Author Topic: Frying pans again  (Read 3161 times)

Frying pans again
« on: 30 August, 2018, 09:34:10 am »
OK I have officialy given up on camping Frying pans >:(.   My first was the Jetboil special (sticks).   Bought another hard anodised one with good rating Sticks, threw it away imediately.  Finaly I used a WILCO (I think) one egg fry pan, at least itworks, not too heavy but very small,   I had to saw off some of the handel on the mini more because it was overbalenceing than for the weight.  Just about OK for a bacon butty, but that is the most important!https://yacf.co.uk/forum/Smileys/classic/grin.gif

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Frying pans again
« Reply #1 on: 30 August, 2018, 10:08:12 am »
I've got a set of anodised 'mess tins' which serve well enough for frying, though the anodising (or is it teflon?) has started wearing off where I've scratched it with a metal spoon.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 30 August, 2018, 10:15:34 am »
Go Outdoors have an OEX branded anodised pan for a tenner which looks pretty similar to the one I bought a few years ago, which is still going strong. For a simple fry up it's fine.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3 on: 30 August, 2018, 10:30:12 am »
I've always found the non-stick Trangia frying pans are fine.  Just make sure you use a decent dose of oil.

« Reply #4 on: 30 August, 2018, 01:51:36 pm »
Are you using them all on the Jetboil?  Give up, it's a great water boiler and pretty much useless for anything else.  I bought the pan and stand and only used it once before going back to the Trangia.  Don't get me wrong, I love my Jetboil, for it's intended use, jet boiling ;)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5 on: 30 August, 2018, 01:56:54 pm »
Are you using them all on the Jetboil?  Give up, it's a great water boiler and pretty much useless for anything else.  I bought the pan and stand and only used it once before going back to the Trangia.  Don't get me wrong, I love my Jetboil, for it's intended use, jet boiling ;)

I've only ever used a Trangia and a White Box Stove.  The only frying pan I have used is the Trangia pan onna Trangia.  I have used the Trangia quite extensively and never had the need to use much else but that's not to say I wouildn't.  Jetboils do look quite good.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #6 on: 30 August, 2018, 02:08:47 pm »
I've long given up on teflon and just let my pans get black with carbon. That's a kind of non-stick coating.

« Reply #7 on: 30 August, 2018, 06:36:10 pm »
I found my hard anodised Trangia frying pan reasonably non-stick, but it did warp a bit following a pancake-making session when using the burner without a simmer ring. I guess this is fairly inevitable with such thin material; are the duossal frying pans likely to be any more durable?

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #8 on: 30 August, 2018, 08:28:52 pm »
I've always found the non-stick Trangia frying pans are fine.  Just make sure you use a decent dose of oil.
The explorers are always forgetting to take cooking oil with then. They have tried dry frying, frying with water and other imaginative solutions, all with the expected burning as a result. I had one who I am sure was issued with a non-stick pan, return a shiney aluminium one!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #9 on: 05 September, 2018, 08:20:59 am »
I will have to have a go with the OEX pan.   I LOVE the jetboil, goes out every time with me.  I am a very English  Gentleman biker and demand a Brew (although often coffe) and a sit on my 1 Kg camping seat, what life is about.    An unburnt bacon and egg butty would make life Nervana!  PS  Go outdoors does a VERY cheap Gas canister (Power source),  I can only get the 2225 grm? version,  its only £3.50 , other makes are £4.00 to 5.00 for only 100 grm.    Only snag it does not fit in the Jetboil but works with it.  For day rides its much cheaper and the added bulk is livable with.

« Reply #10 on: 09 September, 2018, 10:02:18 am »
OK so I have (I hope) made a final dcision  ;D.   ALDI have a current offer of a 1 egg frying pan that is square and a little bigger than the round one so I bought the square one.   I have officially chrisend it on the Jetboil without a flame spreader (but with the pot holder).  Bacon and egg fried without oil (as a over severe test) and no burning.  The weight is about 160 grm on my scales.