Author Topic: Super-Twat  (Read 869025 times)

Re: Super-Twat
« Reply #750 on: 03 September, 2013, 02:54:39 pm »
Twat 'em all, let Cowell sort them out... :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

fuzzy

« Reply #751 on: 03 September, 2013, 03:10:55 pm »
These days I'm working on introducing 'frack' as a replacement

'frack off'
'fracking awful'
'you really are a dreadful frack'
'Jamie Oliver; what a fracking frack'

Such a versatile word.

From which of The 12 do you hail Sir?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #752 on: 03 September, 2013, 03:49:45 pm »
Battlestar Galactica got there before you, Fuzzy, you fracking ignoramus ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #753 on: 03 September, 2013, 03:52:44 pm »
One of the bands that I follow on BookFace posted a pic at the weekend of a band member and said idiot Essex boy at a festival somewhere down south (I think it was Brownstock).

A strange reversal of role in the picture, said band member looked like the bored 'sleb*, J.O. looked like the starry eyed fan-boy.

*Said band are not a big band, no hit singles, although they have had a number greater than zero of their singles as record of the week on Radio 1**
**If you like to use that as a measure of a bands popularity/ability
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ian

« Reply #754 on: 03 September, 2013, 06:15:29 pm »
Seriously, people don't get that Jamie Oliver isn't producing a book for actual poor people, but rather the middle-class-but-go-Lidl-and-tell-people-about-it demographic? If you're living off ready meals and fried ratchicken, I expect you're not in often found browsing the book aisle in Waitrose for Jamie's latest.

Yes. I'm a skint, benefits-dependant but middle-class Aldi fan, and of course I get that I'm his target market.

Except that makes you not his market. The Jamie Oliver brand wants affluent middle-class folk who can pony up the cash for whatever he's selling this week. The admiration or disdain of skint people whatever their class probably isn't much use to him other than as publicity for his latest televisual adventure. And surely as the sun is a big yellow thing that you shouldn't stare at, he'll be wheeled out on telly to flap his mouth whenever he's got something to promote. He is the brand, after all, and it's that brand that sells, otherwise it wouldn't be a Jamie Oliver saucepan, it'd just be a saucepan. Who knows, downstream there maybe money in a JO TV that farts out tasty and nutritious falafel at regular intervals for the delight of the more discerning poor.

Do a lot of poor people eat badly? I expect so. Do they care what Jamie Oliver thinks about their diet? I expect not. I think the only people who get hot and bothered by his opinions are middle-class people. I'm not expecting a line of angst-stricken teens outside the Morley's at the top of my street later, suspended outside the door as  they existentially debate 'what would Jamie think?' or 'shall I ask for mange-tout as a side?'. Oh, I know, there's that Loachian view of poverty as being a state of strange austere virtue.

He gets a lot of stick, but he seems like a decent and successful bloke. Sure, it's the British way to knock our successes, we seem to get a odd kick out of it. Of course he's out of touch, he's probably rich enough to get helicoptered to the toilet to dispose of falafelly excess and has a man to polish his aubergines to retina-burning lustre. That's no bad thing. A man who polishes his own aubergines is no man at all. Fuck it, I'm not even going in the kitchen without the support of my robot (JO branded) butler and the full logistical support of the entire Waitrose chain.

« Reply #755 on: 03 September, 2013, 06:24:02 pm »
His chain of restaurants is mind-bogglingly-large. His company (mostly) owns the entire supply chain, from farms upwards.
The York restaurant cost 600k for the kitchens alone. That cost is recouped in about 12 weeks. Staff are paid a bit above minimum wage and mostly on zero-hours contracts.

And the service is poor and the food overpriced and mediocre in my experience

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #756 on: 03 September, 2013, 06:38:10 pm »
And to think it all started because he was marginally less repulsive than AWT and had "naked" in the title of his programme, so lots of impressionable women tuned in hoping to see his hot buns and jumbo sausage,  Pukka.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #757 on: 03 September, 2013, 07:01:54 pm »
Except that makes you not his market.

Well.... I do own three, I think, of his cook books.  Someone once bought me the utterly pointless 'flavour shaker' gizmo once.  Quite enjoyed some of his broadcasts, when I used to watch telly.  Thought the school dinners campaign, on the whole, was a good thing.  And, acksherly, I've seen an difference in primary school dinners since all that hoo ha.  Not least because the prices have gone up, quite a bit, because the ingredient cost has.  Guess what - it's much easier to make nourishing food with a few more pennies in the pot.  Who'd a thunk it.

But...
The Jamie Oliver brand wants affluent middle-class folk who can pony up the cash for whatever he's selling this week. The admiration or disdain of skint people whatever their class probably isn't much use to him other than as publicity for his latest televisual adventure. And surely as the sun is a big yellow thing that you shouldn't stare at, he'll be wheeled out on telly to flap his mouth whenever he's got something to promote. He is the brand, after all, and it's that brand that sells, otherwise it wouldn't be a Jamie Oliver saucepan, it'd just be a saucepan. Who knows, downstream there maybe money in a JO TV that farts out tasty and nutritious falafel at regular intervals for the delight of the more discerning poor.
That is the obnoxious thing.  It's not about knocking success and it's not about whether the people he is talking about give a flying fuck what he thinks.  His judgemental inaccurate bollocks is indeed a marketing tool.  And yet contributes to the drip drip drip of falafel-scented media shite, to mix one's metaphors, that I reckon actually makes a difference to our society.  Which makes him a pissweasel.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #758 on: 03 September, 2013, 09:33:33 pm »
Or he's genuinely passionate about teaching people how to cook and get better quality for money, while he happens to make money from what he enjoys.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #759 on: 04 September, 2013, 11:32:30 am »
Or he's genuinely passionate about teaching people how to cook and get better quality for money, while he happens to make money from what he enjoys.
He still supports UKIP
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #760 on: 04 September, 2013, 01:00:02 pm »
Are we talking about the Jamie Oliver who says poor people should shop at local markets, many of which have been forced out of existence by the supermarkets who sell the ready meals he designed and says people shouldn't eat?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #761 on: 04 September, 2013, 01:06:22 pm »
Are we talking about the Jamie Oliver who says poor people should shop at local markets, many of which have been forced out of existence by the supermarkets who sell the ready meals he designed and says people shouldn't eat?

That'll be the one
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #762 on: 04 September, 2013, 05:30:43 pm »
Appropriate initials.
Getting there...

fuzzy

« Reply #763 on: 05 September, 2013, 12:51:31 pm »
Battlestar Galactica got there before you, Fuzzy, you fracking ignoramus ;D

You calling me an ignoramus you fracking toaster?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #764 on: 06 October, 2013, 09:14:35 pm »

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #765 on: 06 October, 2013, 09:21:45 pm »
He still supports UKIP
And he's still a Mockney twat.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #766 on: 09 October, 2013, 02:19:10 pm »
Owen 'Badgers Moved The Goalposts' Paterson  :facepalm:

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #767 on: 09 October, 2013, 08:46:57 pm »
Owen 'Badgers Moved The Goalposts' Paterson  :facepalm:

He was on C4 News tonight - what an odious piece of cloaca effluent he is  :demon:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #768 on: 09 October, 2013, 08:56:42 pm »
Mark Constantine, founder of Lush. The man is pure evil.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #769 on: 09 October, 2013, 10:05:03 pm »
Is he?  I had the impression (possibly carefully cultivated) that the Constantines were progressive, campaigning folk, against animal testing etc.

I'm interested to hear what you know about him.  Other than that he owns shops which make me sneeze badly whenever I go near.
Getting there...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #770 on: 10 October, 2013, 01:57:39 pm »
He nicked the name "Lush" from one of my favourite bands.  Just that puts him in my bad book.  :)
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #771 on: 10 October, 2013, 02:00:26 pm »
Owen "Gas them" Paterson

I know who should be gassed.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #772 on: 10 October, 2013, 02:02:05 pm »