Author Topic: *not for veggies* Cooking an ikkle lamb - anyone done it?  (Read 1094 times)

*not for veggies* Cooking an ikkle lamb - anyone done it?
« on: 18 July, 2011, 06:07:26 pm »
I have a big barbie to do shortly for Miss Ham's 21st and I am considering doing my barbie party piece, piglet on a stick. My rotisserie baribie can handle up to about 30" animal, translating into about 18 - 20 lb piggy (head off) which works fantastically. I was wondering if anyone has done that with lamb - how do they compare for size/weight? Is is practical? I'd guess there wouldn't be that much meat on a lamb. Given the esoteric nature of the inhabitants of this place, there might be someone who knows.

Re: *not for veggies* Cooking an ikkle lamb - anyone done it?
« Reply #1 on: 18 July, 2011, 06:16:57 pm »
s'lovely, much nicer than pork, we did it for dads 50th :)

30" for a headless lamb should be fine, I guess there might be slightly less meat than a pig but not much.  Worth talking to a butcher...

is the heat in your barbie from the side or below? there's probably more fat that comes out of a sheep so there might be flame issues if the heat is below... the big barbies in the restaurants in South America all had the heat to one side.

Re: *not for veggies* Cooking an ikkle lamb - anyone done it?
« Reply #2 on: 18 July, 2011, 08:56:33 pm »
Well, I've got one of these:

http://www.forfoodsmokers.co.uk/acatalog/Brinkmann_Smoke_n_Pit_-__239.00.html

which can cook using indirect heat. (edit: I didn't pay £300 for it, but 100-ish from Homebase when nobody bought 'em a few yeas back  ;D ;D ;D ;D )

But I was going to do it on the spit barbie, which has a rectangular tray and a home fettled turning motor. What I do is pile the coals at each side, and scrape a channel down the middle, so fat isn't a problem.