Author Topic: Where's the lamb gone ?  (Read 2763 times)

Where's the lamb gone ?
« on: 20 January, 2015, 04:44:47 pm »
Occasionally I like a mixed grill but in recent years some thing's happened to this classic and it's not good.
A mixed grill should be a small beef steak, a small gammon steak a fried egg, maybe a sausage, a lamb chop and kidneys. Chips are optional.
Unfortunately nearly everywhere you go these days the lamb chop and kidneys have been deleted and replaced with a chicken breast !
Why have they messed with a classic.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Where's the lamb gone ?
« Reply #1 on: 20 January, 2015, 05:10:56 pm »
It's The Man, messin' wif your head.  If you like it, The Man stops selling it.  In extreme cases the shop gets turned into a branch of Morrison's, or even Matalan.

There wasn't an episode of "The X-Files" about this phenomenon, but there should have been.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2015, 12:09:54 pm »
Re kidneys - folks got squeamish about offal. I recall Jimmy wotsit (Jamies pal) trying to do a "healthy" sausage at supermarket price point. Taste panel test universally popular. Upon the revelation that said sausage contained heart, almost universal disapproval. I thought it unfair the supermarket dudes didn't come clean about what THEIR "meat" content was.

I'd always add (lambs) liver as opposed to kidneys to a mixed grill.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2015, 12:18:53 pm »
There wasn't an episode of "The X-Files" about this phenomenon, but there should have been.

I think there was, but it's been Room 101'd and replaced with an episode of Hugh Fartley-Witteringon's River Shed. The truth is out th [ERROR NO CARRIER]

« Reply #4 on: 21 January, 2015, 12:54:30 pm »
I'd guess it's a cost thing - lamb is more expensive than chicken (or pork chop which I have seen with a mixed grill).
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #5 on: 24 January, 2015, 01:02:25 pm »
Nose to tail eating is very much back in fashion. Just look up the price of Oxtail.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: 24 January, 2015, 01:40:38 pm »
never mind lamb get some mutton, that's where the flavour is, but I don't know why it's so expensive, we used to sell brokers for around 20 quid a head,

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 24 January, 2015, 04:58:11 pm »
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #8 on: 26 January, 2015, 11:17:40 am »
never mind lamb get some mutton, that's where the flavour is, but I don't know why it's so expensive, we used to sell brokers for around 20 quid a head,

I think it's down to its lack of popularity. Butchers have trouble getting rid of an entire sheep because people have been conditioned to eat lamb.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #9 on: 10 February, 2015, 02:20:30 pm »

I think it's down to its lack of popularity. Butchers have trouble getting rid of an entire sheep because people have been conditioned to eat lamb.

Not in those bits of Bradford where salwar kameez is pretty much the universal dress code. As a bonus, it's very much not expensive. As a further bonus, the carcass is butchered in the same way as the meat wot I grew up with. Nomnomnom.  :thumbsup:

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 10 February, 2015, 03:15:17 pm »
A mixed grill should be a small beef steak, a small gammon steak a fried egg, maybe a sausage, a lamb chop and kidneys.

I can't imagine fitting all that lot in my stomach, but I do like a lamb chop.

Kidneys: maybe too many people think they taste of urine.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #11 on: 22 February, 2015, 05:50:00 pm »
Fresh kidneys - deelish.

Kidneys that have been around too long - vile - taste and smell like pee.

It's a devil's own job to get decent fresh offal these days, and I suspect that despite being touted by trendy foodies, a lot of people have been put off by poorly prepared examples.

As an aside (but relative) , if you can Venison liver on the day that it has been shot from somebody that stalks deer, it is sublime.

aka "Stalker's breakfast"

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12 on: 26 February, 2015, 10:51:15 am »
We had a great steak & kidney pie the other day - lambs' kidneys, I think.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #13 on: 28 February, 2015, 12:33:06 am »
I was fine. Despite turning 50 recently, life was good. I had a decent job, a wonderful partner and the most lovely kids. There was stuff - you don't get past GO without stuff, but I was born white and male in the affluent west so the odds were always in my favour.

And then this post happened.

It's not even as though I can remember wanting, let alone having a mixed grill. Sure I had an Irish immigrant upbringing and meat was always important. But one animal at a time (maybe two at christmas).

But now I can't visit or even walk past a pub without checking the menu and every time I see a mixed grill without lamb (100% so far) a little bit of me dies.

I've left my job and ditched my family. I'm sleeping rough and have no focus anymore. I feel as though the point is gone.

Curse you, capitalism.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #14 on: 02 March, 2015, 01:01:41 pm »
I was fine. Despite turning 50 recently, life was good. I had a decent job, a wonderful partner and the most lovely kids. There was stuff - you don't get past GO without stuff, but I was born white and male in the affluent west so the odds were always in my favour.

And then this post happened.

It's not even as though I can remember wanting, let alone having a mixed grill. Sure I had an Irish immigrant upbringing and meat was always important. But one animal at a time (maybe two at christmas).

But now I can't visit or even walk past a pub without checking the menu and every time I see a mixed grill without lamb (100% so far) a little bit of me dies.

I've left my job and ditched my family. I'm sleeping rough and have no focus anymore. I feel as though the point is gone.

Curse you, capitalism.

The chicken is the result of capitalism - a little cheaper and a whole lot worse

« Reply #15 on: 02 March, 2015, 01:02:53 pm »
We get mutton regularly, but it's still relatively expensive. also, one of the butchers shoots, which is good.

I regret the passing of pork loin chops with the kidney still attached. Strictly illegal and 'under the counter' now.