Author Topic: Base training  (Read 251616 times)

simonp

Re: Base training
« Reply #600 on: 04 May, 2017, 05:43:48 pm »
My FTP went down relentlessly whilst following the Zwift FTP builder plan. Was dispiriting. I ended up getting a bit of coaching. He basically looks over what I do via training peaks, sends me PMs via facebook, and we go for coffee every 6-8 weeks. He mostly sets me TSS and intensity factor goals, but recently has been getting me doing all out sprint intervals a few times a week.

I use Today's Plan rather than Training Peaks, and I don't have WKO, so can't see all the metrics he looks at. However, I am pleased with the progression in 60m w/kg.

Nice graph. My best 1h NP is 254W from May 7 last year. I was about 80kg, so 3.175w/kg or so. Unfortunately not as fit now.

Also you can see a progression with that workout - NP 234, 249, 254 as I got stronger over 2 months.

The one I did on Sunday was the 1h30 version. NP of 222 for 1h30. I once managed NP of 242 for 1h30, still got some room to improve for sure.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #601 on: 04 May, 2017, 10:16:34 pm »
I use Today's Plan rather than Training Peaks, and I don't have WKO, so can't see all the metrics he looks at. However, I am pleased with the progression in 60m w/kg.

Do you know if you can import from Training peaks data in to Today's plan?

I was thinking about taking a look and comparing what the two look like.  I'm not using any particular plans other than trying to fit Trainerroad plans in around Audax's whilst aiming to keep the Form in a a sensible place, but over the past two weeks or so, the form it says isn't matching how I've been feeling (though could bit a bit of illness in the background at the moment) I've been finding the stravistix multisport fitness graph more representative even though I have my HR and Power zones mirrored across all the platforms.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #602 on: 05 May, 2017, 11:24:08 am »

Do you know if you can import from Training peaks data in to Today's plan?

I was thinking about taking a look and comparing what the two look like.  I'm not using any particular plans other than trying to fit Trainerroad plans in around Audax's whilst aiming to keep the Form in a a sensible place, but over the past two weeks or so, the form it says isn't matching how I've been feeling (though could bit a bit of illness in the background at the moment) I've been finding the stravistix multisport fitness graph more representative even though I have my HR and Power zones mirrored across all the platforms.

Yes, export from Training Peaks (TPe) to Today's Plan (TPl) is a cinch. Once you have all the historic data, you can sync to both simultaneously via Garmin Connect.

I've subscribed to both. Comparing the two, I like the TPe mobile app better (mostly for the weekly CTL / ATL / TSB page - TPe only has it on the desktop), but everything else is a little bit nicer on TPl for me. It's just really nice to use - very polished. TPl has it's automagic plans / sessions, which for me are really good. That aside, both now do workout export to Zwift, and are much of a muchness - except TPl syncs with Zwift automagically - so when you load up Zwift in the morning, the workout for the day is awaiting for you. TPl is a fair chunk cheaper, even with BC discount.

My main criticisms of TPl are that it is endlessly configurable - you can end up displaying so much data you can get lost in it; and that the training plans could be a bit more spiteful. Some of the workouts themselves can be brutal, but they build in a lot of rest, so if you are short of time, it's hard to get a decent ramp rate without lying about your current FTP. I've ended up ignoring their TSS weekly targets, and setting my own and then using the workouts to populate a plan to meet my targets.

simonp

« Reply #603 on: 05 May, 2017, 11:30:42 am »
"A bit more spiteful". Nice turn of phrase.

simonp

« Reply #604 on: 06 May, 2017, 08:58:30 pm »
Talking of spiteful I did Solomons again today after already having 90 minutes on the water at the rowing club. Surprisingly I didn't struggle. Time for an FTP test. I think I'm approaching the fitness I had at the last PBP.

rob

« Reply #605 on: 15 May, 2017, 04:04:53 pm »
Something is working this year anyway.....   Easy week and a 400k on Saturday which I'll ride on the TT bike and aim to not stop much.

Next race is then the 12hr on the 11th June.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #606 on: 16 May, 2017, 12:17:48 am »
Something is working this year anyway.....   Easy week and a 400k on Saturday which I'll ride on the TT bike and aim to not stop much.

Next race is then the 12hr on the 11th June.

good luck, i've done a very similar ride couple of weeks ago, one proper stop of ~20min and another half an hour for all the traffic lights, junctions etc.

simonp

« Reply #607 on: 20 May, 2017, 09:18:35 pm »
Picket Guard. Nearly completed on target just one back pedal break. As it was the BCM last weekend and I had a 1h30 rowing session earlier - I think I need to retest my threshold.

rob

« Reply #608 on: 22 May, 2017, 02:02:44 pm »

That went OK.  Pacing and fuelling fine.

Back on the turbo this week.   3 weeks to the next big test which is the 12hr time trial.

« Reply #609 on: 23 May, 2017, 01:27:57 pm »
What turbos are you guys doing all these sessions on? I have read the Obree book (twice), and I've just got a basic turbo (budget restraints and ebay availability mean I now have a Tacx Booster). I'm content with the Obree plan to basically do a 30 minute TT every week plus some road work, log the HR and speed on Strava and see how I improve, but I'm curious about all these fancy plans... ;)
Cheers
Duncan

« Reply #610 on: 23 May, 2017, 02:23:02 pm »
I'm using a Tacx Neo, but the Tacx Vortex smart I had before gave 90% of the experience for 30% of the cost (if you don't mind the noise).

Was pleased to find this in Today's Plan today - The training I've been doing seems to be doing something compared to where I was a year ago (admittedly a bad place)

simonp

« Reply #611 on: 30 May, 2017, 10:19:21 pm »
So I've got to the end of the base phase, finally. Bryan Chapman and Monmouth Regatta (rowing) out of the way. I struggled on the BCM, missing February hasn't been helpful. However I did OK at Monmouth (HR reached 190 bpm).

Going to test in a day or two. I would have done it today but we did 12km on the water this evening, with lots of race pace work, and I'm pretty knackered now.

I think my fitness is finally coming good - I did 45m easy (Carter) on TrainerRoad last night; HR average was 125bpm. This is the lowest ever for this workout, so I hope this means a decent FTP boost when I test. Perhaps on Thursday.

Then onto the build plan - General Build, I think.

simonp

« Reply #612 on: 01 June, 2017, 09:49:07 pm »
Looks like more improvement than hoped for.  :thumbsup:

:sick:

simonp

« Reply #613 on: 01 June, 2017, 09:53:36 pm »
Up from 248W to 269W. Max HR in test was 193.

« Reply #614 on: 02 June, 2017, 09:44:51 am »
 :thumbsup:
congratulations

rob

« Reply #615 on: 22 June, 2017, 04:43:25 pm »
Back into shorter/sharper efforts for a couple of weeks to bring a bit of speed in for the National 100 on the 9th July.   The heat hasn't helped the turbo work this week.

Not much left to do after that before the Mersey 24hr.   Seems a bit weird to be this far down the road and almost finished for the year.

simonp

« Reply #616 on: 22 June, 2017, 04:56:44 pm »
Back into shorter/sharper efforts for a couple of weeks to bring a bit of speed in for the National 100 on the 9th July.   The heat hasn't helped the turbo work this week.

Not much left to do after that before the Mersey 24hr.   Seems a bit weird to be this far down the road and almost finished for the year.

It sounds like it's worked really well for you so far. Best of luck with the National.

I did 3x12m sweet-spot on Monday evening, and reckon I lost 1.5L of fluid. I'm splitting my time with rowing sessions (erg and water) so not doing quite so much on the turbo but about the same total training load.

Mixing it up between some high intensity short intervals and longer stuff on the turbo, with Pendle 600k looming, and then a rowing regatta the following weekend.

rob

« Reply #617 on: 12 July, 2017, 07:43:36 pm »
No more turbo work this season, with one race left.   Packing it away until November.    :)

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #618 on: 13 July, 2017, 09:33:54 am »
I haven't touched mine for a good few months now. Too much outdoor action on the bike, I am really due a FTP test but with only 2 weeks till LEL I might not bother....... I'm not missing the turbo  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

simonp

« Reply #619 on: 19 July, 2017, 09:36:13 pm »
New PB for 3 minute power. Then another in the same workout.  :smug:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #620 on: 20 July, 2017, 12:46:21 am »
New Xert app on Garmin IQ is quite nice, came up with 271 for my FTP, which is a couple of watts over where I tested 6-7weeks ago, I'll take that for now given how close I am to LEL and I CBA with the pain cave!

Worth checking it out if you have a Garmin with IQ capability.
Regards,

Joergen

simonp

« Reply #621 on: 20 July, 2017, 08:33:52 am »
My last test was 269. Not sure I CBA to test again before LEL now. The information wouldn't tell me much as I'm not going to have a power meter.

simonp

« Reply #622 on: 20 July, 2017, 12:16:30 pm »
So the progression of peak 3m power is:

2015 - 306w
2016 - 321w
2017 - 334w

« Reply #623 on: 14 September, 2017, 11:41:38 pm »
After a couple of basically sedentary months (bike fit & mojo issues) I've started a TrainerRoad sweet spot base plan, but also decided to ride every day in September , filling the rest days with 'avctive recovery'.

So far, so good - 14 days done & feeling good, will retest for ftp next month

simonp

« Reply #624 on: 14 September, 2017, 11:57:39 pm »
I'm currently using the trainer mainly for cross training for rowing, working on base fitness. Not following a TR plan as such.