Author Topic: Green Day - LIVE...  (Read 865 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Green Day - LIVE...
« on: 18 June, 2010, 10:22:48 am »
OK, so just got back (read recovered from the hangover) from see ing these lot @ Manchester on wednesday night.

what a night, it opened with some bloke from down south, who was ok, but just ok.

then came Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, what can I say? she sounded bored and only in it for the money, shame as I am sure if she had have belted it out it would have been good, even "I hate myself" sounded limp and crass.

then, at about 19:00 BST Mike, Tre Cool and Billy Jo took the stage.  Song after song belted out, crowd singing along, sun shining, cold beer.....

You name a Green Day song you know,, they played it.  Around 21:00, when other bands would be flagging Billy Jo said "there is supposed to be a curfew, but we don't give a damn about curfews, we are going to play until we get tired" And so they did.  Around 22:00 Mike and Tre Cool left the stage and Billy Jo grabbed an acoustic guitar, sat on the stage and rounded out the night with "Time of Your Life" "Wake Me Up (When September Ends)" and the acoustic number from "21st Century Breakdown"

I stood there gobsmacked and speechless, it was the best concert I have ever been to.  We walked a little while back towards MCC then decided to get a taxi as none of us had a 2 mile walk left in our legs, and we could all here more beer calling....

Just two little points from the night....

1) Taxi driver, check your mirrors before pulling into a cycle lane, that poor woman was scared witless by you trying to wipe her out
2) Scrawny little PFY, the next time you barge into my wife and try to knock her over, make sure I am nowhere near, as I WILL ripp you limb from limb then beat you still twitching corpse with the soggy ends of said limbs.  You really didn't think that 6' guy sat deep in thought would do anything did you?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Green Day - LIVE...
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2010, 10:37:54 am »
Green Day have always been a great band.  TGL is into them, but he likes a lot of noisy stuff. ;D

Because their success came quite late, and they've been gigging for years, I'm not at all surprised that they have developed their stagecraft and live musicianship.  I saw they were playing, and consulted the finances.  I haven't been to a gig in years... :-\
Getting there...

John Henry

« Reply #2 on: 18 June, 2010, 05:01:54 pm »
<envy envy envy envy envy>

Zoidburg

« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2010, 05:46:37 pm »
I would have liked to have caught them maybe 10 years ago or so.

Today - not so much, they have always been well know but it's the move in to stadium rock that makes people think they have only recently "made it" but they have been pretty huge before.

They were always getting the MTV and radio play when I was younger, they then had a very quiet period in the run up to American Idiot.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4 on: 19 June, 2010, 11:01:06 am »

Today - not so much, they have always been well know but it's the move in to stadium rock that makes people think they have only recently "made it" but they have been pretty huge before.

They were always getting the MTV and radio play when I was younger, they then had a very quiet period in the run up to American Idiot.

TBH I would not have given £2 to go and see them in the period between Dookie and American Idiot, as they seemed to lose their way, no thought they come across as a band that really really enjoy playing live, and have some stonking songs to back up the stage show.  If anyone is going to the O2 to see them tonight, you will have a blinding time....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #5 on: 19 June, 2010, 07:42:00 pm »

TBH I would not have given £2 to go and see them in the period between Dookie and American Idiot, as they seemed to lose their way, no thought they come across as a band that really really enjoy playing live, and have some stonking songs to back up the stage show.  If anyone is going to the O2 to see them tonight, you will have a blinding time....

Although you will be a bit pissed off not to have gone to Wembley
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]