Author Topic: NEW - Busch & Muller Luxos Front Light  (Read 102700 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: NEW - Busch & Muller Luxos Front Light
« Reply #125 on: 13 February, 2013, 12:15:13 pm »
What I particularly like is that because the dynamo charges the internal battery and not the light directly, you get full brightness when stopped (e.g. at traffic lights or when fixing a nightime puncture). This is a huge improvement over my Solidlights 'standlight' which was pretty feeble in comparison.

This is a very big deal when climbing steep stuff in the dark. It's more than disconcerting when you stall/hit a trackstand and the lights go out...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #126 on: 13 February, 2013, 12:17:44 pm »
Spendy though. Was there anything up with your Fly apart from its sudden death? It's easy to get carried away with light wars. We'll (I think, I may have lost count) have a spare Cyo when this arrives, and there's nothing wrong with the Cyo, or the Axa we also have.

Yeah, I certainly won't be upgrading my existing Cyos.  If I ever get an N+1, I'd get a Luxos for it, though, because the wider beam ought to make cornering onna 'bent without the aid of a headtorch less risky.

USB charging is nice, but I've already solved that problem.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #127 on: 13 February, 2013, 12:21:01 pm »
What I particularly like is that because the dynamo charges the internal battery and not the light directly, you get full brightness when stopped (e.g. at traffic lights or when fixing a nightime puncture). This is a huge improvement over my Solidlights 'standlight' which was pretty feeble in comparison.

This is a very big deal when climbing steep stuff in the dark. It's more than disconcerting when you stall/hit a trackstand and the lights go out...

The pre-'T' Cyo standlight isn't quite so bad, in that it keeps the light going at reduced power (roughly equivalent to an IxonIQ on low) which is sufficient for seeing where you're going when riding slowly.  The problem comes not on the really steep climbs, but the long, slow ones.  After a few minutes the standlight capacitor is discharged, and the output becomes properly feeble.  Then the badgers come...

« Reply #128 on: 13 February, 2013, 01:10:44 pm »
Spendy though. Was there anything up with your Fly apart from its sudden death?

I've been finding it not as bright as I'd like for descending dark country lanes in the Surrey Hills at night - this winter I've been wearing out a lot of brake pads because I daren't go any faster.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #129 on: 13 February, 2013, 02:37:20 pm »
Won't the lithium battery in these gradually wear out, in the way that conventional standlight capacitors don't?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #130 on: 13 February, 2013, 03:40:28 pm »
Excellent review, thanks  :thumbsup:

Good to hear the connector is a standard headphone jack - shouldn't be too hard to extend or shorten the cable if needed (I suppose "typical upright bike" varies - I can imagine there'd be a bit less spare cable on a flat-barred German style city or trekking bike).  Looks like a right-angled USB cable might make things neater, though USB A connectors are always going to be quite bulky.

Not sure I like the shiny plastic shell, but I'm prepared to overlook that sort of thing in light of all the other desirable features.  Glad they've improved the side visibility, it's a bit lacking in the Cyo.
Your coat, madam!

;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #131 on: 13 February, 2013, 05:25:05 pm »
Can anyone find anywhere which has the Luxos U in stock (as opposed to the Luxos B). All the shops I've looked at have only got the cheaper "B" version, which doesn't have the USB port or the laser-beams-of-DETH mode.  :(
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #132 on: 13 February, 2013, 09:41:53 pm »
No. I asked Bike24 to keep my order till they've got it in.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #133 on: 13 February, 2013, 09:47:08 pm »
I can't find one either. It doesn't matter from my point of view because I'm not going on any lengthy camping trips in the near future or, in all probablility, until July. I'm OK for Solidlights (2 sets amongst 3 bikes) but I'll want the Luxos eventualy, I think - at least, until a blingier more elegant version from Schmidt or Supernova emerges. :P
The loss of humanity I could live with.

« Reply #134 on: 15 February, 2013, 07:37:14 am »
I've ordered one from Rose Versand, sightly more expensive I think than starbike, but I've used them before for low value things and am therefore confident it will turn up.

They've confirmed my order and the account page tells me it will ship to me on the 19th Feb, which is pretty good going considering the stock level widget says two weeks.

Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

NEW - Busch & Muller Luxos Front Light
« Reply #135 on: 26 February, 2013, 11:04:53 am »
I ordered the U version from Rose Bikes in December. Customer communication has been dreadful, with no information available on the continuing delays to the shipping date. Last time I looked, it said it would be shipped on 19th Feb. today I visited the site and they have pushed the date out to mid May. I have now cancelled the order as I have no confidence in them ever delivering it. I will now try elsewhere.

« Reply #136 on: 26 February, 2013, 11:33:16 am »
Yes I've just noticed mines changed to mid May.

Am of a mind of cancelling it and ordering something else from somewhere else.

« Reply #137 on: 26 February, 2013, 11:34:10 am »
Good luck finding somewhere.
I don't think they're actually available anywhere at the moment (happy to be proved wrong, especially if I can get my hands on one).

« Reply #138 on: 26 February, 2013, 01:23:13 pm »
I've cancelled my order now, while I'd really like one I actually need a light now.

Having a light in May is no use to me when it's dark and wet now, I'm giving serious thought to the edelux.

« Reply #139 on: 26 February, 2013, 02:25:40 pm »
The Luxos models seem to have been getting supplied in very small batches, which either all go to queued pre-orders or sell out almost immediately. The non-USB version may be easier to find (bike-discount.de had stock when I looked recently.
I would guess that the bulk of production is currently going to bike manufacturers rather than retail.

The Edelux is functionally much the same as the Cyo 60, but in a much better housing. The only problem I've had with mine is someone turning it off whilst parked, and me spending quite a while checking the wiring before I remembered the switch (I use it in senso mode all the time).

« Reply #140 on: 26 February, 2013, 02:44:04 pm »
Rose sent me an email, but the message was contained in a PDF in German (which as they are a German company I suppose is OK).

>>>

Dear David Lodwig,
vielen Dank für Ihre Bestellung.
Aufgrund technischer Probleme kommt es lt. Hersteller B+M zu weiteren Verschiebungen des
Artikels
1886805 B+M Frontscheinwerfers Lumotec IQ2
Wir bedauern Ihnen keine positive Mitteilung machen zu können.
Der neue Liefertermin wurde uns für die 19 KW angekündigt.
Demnach dürfen wir davon ausgehen, dass wir bis Mitte Mai den von Ihnen bestellten Artikel
ausliefern können.
Sollten Sie noch Fragen dazu haben oder nicht mehr auf den Artikel warten möchten teilen Sie uns
dies bitte mit.

>>>

I believe the jist is B&M are having technical problems.

NEW - Busch & Muller Luxos Front Light
« Reply #141 on: 26 February, 2013, 04:55:07 pm »
Spendy though. Was there anything up with your Fly apart from its sudden death? It's easy to get carried away with light wars. We'll (I think, I may have lost count) have a spare Cyo when this arrives, and there's nothing wrong with the Cyo, or the Axa we also have.

Kim are you able to share with us all what you believe to be the best way of USB charging. Have you made something yourself? Could you share the plans. This was one of my main reasons for buying this light, so I am now looking for an alternative. I need this for longer Audax rides to charge mobile and garmin 800. Thanks

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #142 on: 26 February, 2013, 05:07:02 pm »
Rose sent me an email, but the message was contained in a PDF in German (which as they are a German company I suppose is OK).

>>>

Dear David Lodwig,
Aufgrund technischer Probleme kommt es lt. Hersteller B+M zu weiteren Verschiebungen des
Artikels
Demnach dürfen wir davon ausgehen, dass wir bis Mitte Mai den von Ihnen bestellten Artikel
ausliefern können.
Sollten Sie noch Fragen dazu haben oder nicht mehr auf den Artikel warten möchten teilen Sie uns
dies bitte mit.

>>>

Dear David Lodwig,

Thanks for your query.

Because of technical problems there will be further delays on the item.

We're sorry we can't give you more positive news.

The new delivery date has been announced for the 19KW [version]??

Therefore we expect that we will be able to send you the item around the middle of May.

If you have any further questions or if you don't want to wait for the item, please let us know.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #143 on: 26 February, 2013, 05:16:58 pm »
Kim are you able to share with us all what you believe to be the best way of USB charging. Have you made something yourself? Could you share the plans. This was one of my main reasons for buying this light, so I am now looking for an alternative. I need this for longer Audax rides to charge mobile and garmin 800. Thanks

Yes, I have something I designed myself, which works reasonably well and is very efficient.  Unfortunately, it's bulky (I'm using through-hole components on veroboard at present), not remotely waterproof (I can do circuits, but good plastic boxes are beyond my skill level) and doesn't incorporate a cache battery (my old phone didn't care about intermittent charging power, but my new one does, so I'm currently using a naff no-name battery pack).  And perhaps more critically, due to the usual problems of obtaining niche components in small quantities, it doesn't work out all that much cheaper than a B&M e-Werk.  Designs are currently scribbled on the back of an envelope couple of datasheets and in my head.  Drawing something coherent for publication is somewhere way down my to-do list, so realistically don't hold your breath.

If I were starting from scratch now, I'd probably go for a light with charger built-in.  It really does seem like the most elegant approach, given that the lights will contain most of the required electronics already.  Failing that, the e-Werk seems to be the best of the current crop of dedicated chargers.  Actively avoid the Dahon ReeCharge, and any DIY instructions that don't take proper off-load voltage limiting precautions - they're going to cook their own regulator eventually.

« Reply #144 on: 26 February, 2013, 05:35:37 pm »

>>>

Dear David Lodwig,
Artikels
ausliefern können.
dies bitte mit.

>>>

Dear David Lodwig,

Thanks for your query.

Because of technical problems there will be further delays on the item.

We're sorry we can't give you more positive news.

The new delivery date has been announced for the 19KW [version]??

Therefore we expect that we will be able to send you the item around the middle of May.

If you have any further questions or if you don't want to wait for the item, please let us know.

Thank you, my German is what might be described as ropey.

I've now ordered the Edilux which is what I probably should have done in the first place.

« Reply #145 on: 26 February, 2013, 08:50:25 pm »

The Axa does a good job, and may be neater than the Luxos. We swapped ours back for a Cyo- Chris didn't like the light very much. The Luxos would appear to be a better light, but this is cheaper (uglier) and does work.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #146 on: 28 February, 2013, 04:16:58 pm »

The Axa does a good job, and may be neater than the Luxos. We swapped ours back for a Cyo- Chris didn't like the light very much. The Luxos would appear to be a better light, but this is cheaper (uglier) and does work.

That looks like an interesting budget option for someone just interested in the USB charging function. What was the problem with the light? And was the USB charger any good?

I notice there is also this 70 lux version: http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1004/a86942/luxx-70-plus-steady-auto-led-headlamp.html which according to the picture also has a USB socket and has a removable reflector.
Owner of a languishing Langster

Chris S

« Reply #147 on: 28 February, 2013, 04:40:14 pm »

That looks like an interesting budget option for someone just interested in the USB charging function. What was the problem with the light? And was the USB charger any good?

I notice there is also this 70 lux version: http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1004/a86942/luxx-70-plus-steady-auto-led-headlamp.html which according to the picture also has a USB socket and has a removable reflector.

The USB charger seemed at least as good as the e-werk; we only ever use the dyno to charge a cache battery, and it did as good a job as charging off a mains USB input.

I don't like the beam pattern of the light. There are a lot more artifacts - bright spots, and dimmer spots - the Cyo has a much more even spread, which in turn was always harsher than the lovely soft illumination of Solidlights that I always loved (as long as the road was dry, on a wet road, Solidlights were crapola).

The cabling of the new light looks a bit clumsy - the Axa has a simple, no-fuss USB port that you can plug whatever you need into. I never tested it in the wet, mind - it could be useless when wet, and the e-werk has much better weather-proofing on its connections.

simonp

« Reply #148 on: 28 February, 2013, 04:42:16 pm »
The Philips twin-LED battery light gives a wider, brighter beam than the EDelux, and runs for 8 hours on 4 AA NiMH batteries. It costs less, too, and you don't need a dynamo to power it.

The EDelux is perfectly adequate for night riding, though. The bright spot in the middle covers the entire width of a country lane.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #149 on: 28 February, 2013, 04:49:13 pm »

The USB charger seemed at least as good as the e-werk; we only ever use the dyno to charge a cache battery, and it did as good a job as charging off a mains USB input.

I don't like the beam pattern of the light. There are a lot more artifacts - bright spots, and dimmer spots - the Cyo has a much more even spread, which in turn was always harsher than the lovely soft illumination of Solidlights that I always loved (as long as the road was dry, on a wet road, Solidlights were crapola).

The cabling of the new light looks a bit clumsy - the Axa has a simple, no-fuss USB port that you can plug whatever you need into. I never tested it in the wet, mind - it could be useless when wet, and the e-werk has much better weather-proofing on its connections.

Thanks Chris - did you have the 40 lux or the 70 lux model? I'm almost tempted to go for this as I'd be happy with an almost as good as Cyo light with charging capability at that kind of price.
Owner of a languishing Langster