Author Topic: NEW - Busch & Muller Luxos Front Light  (Read 102702 times)

Re: NEW - Busch & Muller Luxos Front Light
« Reply #150 on: 28 February, 2013, 10:12:38 pm »
Thanks Chris - did you have the 40 lux or the 70 lux model? I'm almost tempted to go for this as I'd be happy with an almost as good as Cyo light with charging capability at that kind of price.
It changes beam pattern when you go too slowly. I hate that.
I don't know whether it's the 40 or 70. I'd guess 40 as 70 sounds like DETH LASERS and it aint that.
Previous discussion here

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #151 on: 28 February, 2013, 10:42:08 pm »
Eyes are non-linear.  All else being equal, you probably wouldn't be able to easily tell the difference between 40 lux and 70 lux unless you compared them side by side.

NEW - Busch & Muller Luxos Front Light
« Reply #152 on: 01 March, 2013, 11:26:40 am »
Well I've taken the plunge and bought an Axa 70 plus.  Total cost of £65, so much cheaper than the imaginary b+m product or any light plus some of the other charging combinations.
I will let you know how I get on.

« Reply #153 on: 10 March, 2013, 03:46:04 pm »
I'd like to see a width of illumination comparison between the Cyo, Cyo R and Luxos.

Not that I'm reading this thread, of course.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m-hl.asp     This link has light output comparisons for the new light

Father Christmas (yes yes I know it's a long way away  :P)  will hear me asking (pleading) for one of these to complement my already brilliant (I know  ;) Lumicycle set up,

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #154 on: 25 March, 2013, 10:18:16 am »
Well I've taken the plunge and bought an Axa 70 plus.  Total cost of £65, so much cheaper than the imaginary b+m product or any light plus some of the other charging combinations.
First chance to ride this last night and it seems fine. The beam is definitely bright enough for fast night riding. I have also briefly used the USB output, bu won't get a chance to really try this out until Spring properly arrives.

« Reply #155 on: 28 March, 2013, 09:00:20 am »
The Luxos U version is now £130 from Rose.  Perhaps the price will come down even further when it finally starts shipping in any quantity
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

« Reply #156 on: 02 April, 2013, 10:57:52 pm »
checking the Rose site last week I had a look again at the reviews for this light, 3 now
Something may have been lost/gained in the translation (by Bing Translator on the PC)
but it seems one German was not too happy with the performance, or not, of the light when it rained :o
I am beginning to think it might be a good idea to cancel my order, which is a replacement for the 1st one which was dead out of the box, because.....
I had a similar experience with their 12v system(now discontinued). Brilliant in the dry, first seriously wet ride and `poof` no friggin` light  >:(
Could the degree of waterproofing be B+Ms Achilles heel
Besides, getting attached to the E-werk now :-*

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
« Reply #157 on: 03 April, 2013, 01:46:47 am »
The Luxos U version is now £130 from Rose.  Perhaps the price will come down even further when it finally starts shipping in any quantity

XXCycle.com have them listed for £107.99 (+ VAT?) but no stock :(

Andrew

« Reply #158 on: 03 April, 2013, 02:10:55 am »

Change your country to UK, and the price becomes £128.59 (plus 8 quid shipping). 19% VAT ...

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
« Reply #159 on: 03 April, 2013, 02:14:12 am »

Change your country to UK, and the price becomes £128.59 (plus 8 quid shipping). 19% VAT ...

No VAT for me which is why I suspected it needed the VAT added :)

Andrew

« Reply #160 on: 03 April, 2013, 06:02:55 pm »
I ordered one from Bike Rose because they gave me a decent discount when I asked for one. It won't be here for a while though...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #161 on: 06 April, 2013, 08:32:50 am »
It's now available from Dot Bike. £143.

« Reply #162 on: 06 April, 2013, 02:30:28 pm »
I had a similar experience with their 12v system(now discontinued). Brilliant in the dry, first seriously wet ride and `poof` no friggin` light  >:(
Could the degree of waterproofing be B+Ms Achilles heel
Besides, getting attached to the E-werk now :-*

Can't speak for the dynamo lights but I have ridden (in all weathers) all year round with B&M Ixon IQ and no problem apart from when after a torrential downpour I stuffed it into my side pocket which, riding a Q-NT and being on my back the jacket was not waterproof at all, result a pocket lake which the light plopped into, after a good airing at work that night it was alright again   :P
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #163 on: 06 April, 2013, 02:33:51 pm »
My Cyo kept going without problems in the rain that drowned my Ixon IQ (which has only happened the once).  I think they're considered pretty robust, unless you mount them on a fork crown without a mudguard, so they get sprayed from below.

My concern with the Luxos is the connector on the side for the remote switch / USB stuff.

« Reply #164 on: 06 April, 2013, 07:05:24 pm »
Panoramix OTP has them for €150 (~£130)
http://www.esprit-randonneur.fr/fr/lumieres/84-lumotec-iq-cyo-licht-24.html
(which is a Luxos, despite what it says in the url)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #165 on: 07 April, 2013, 10:20:02 pm »
Panoramix OTP has them for €150 (~£130)
http://www.esprit-randonneur.fr/fr/lumieres/84-lumotec-iq-cyo-licht-24.html
(which is a Luxos, despite what it says in the url)

Confusing google with wrong URLs is frowned upon if you want to sell stuff! Thank you for telling me, I have corrected it now.

http://www.esprit-randonneur.fr/fr/lumieres/84-luxos-lumotec-iq2.html
Chief cat entertainer.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #166 on: 08 April, 2013, 03:32:40 pm »

Ordered one.

I suspect they'll be my E-Werk on the classified for a bargain price within the next few weeks or so (would want to test the Luxos on a 600 at minimum for the whole charging game).
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #167 on: 09 April, 2013, 12:00:10 pm »
Oooh - it arrived. 

It's shiny.

I will fit it at some point - I haven't any night rides planned for a couple of weeks - but I'll give it a try out before then.
Right! What's next?

« Reply #168 on: 09 April, 2013, 10:16:31 pm »
First chance to ride this last night and it seems fine. The beam is definitely bright enough for fast night riding. I have also briefly used the USB output, bu won't get a chance to really try this out until Spring properly arrives.
Tried out the USB charging properly this weekend. Did about 6 hours riding, which charged up my 5500mah usb pack by over half. I need to check with another cable to see if will charge faster. But I am pleased with this and reckon it will get me through LEL. Only downside is that if you are charging you can't have the lights on.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #169 on: 21 April, 2013, 11:19:12 pm »
First long ride with my Luxos (U version).  600km with a complete night of riding and a second night with 4 hours of riding. 

I fitted it to the bike a week or so ago.  Nothing much to say about the fitting if you are used to a Cyo (bent bit of metal to go on the fork crown).  It is quite a lot larger than a Cyo - quite huge really.

I also took the opportunity to start testing running a small rear light off the dynamo as well - I run a battery operated fibre flare as well, so I just wanted something really small that meant I don't need to stop to turn on rear lights etc. - I went for one of these http://supernova-lights.com/en/products/e3_tail_light2.html - it's tiny but very, very bright.  It doesn't have a standlight - but when combined with the battery lights, that's not an issue.

Anyway - back to the Luxos.

I'd tested the charging side a little already - as I still have a slight mistrust of it all, I don't charge my phone or GPS directly with it - so I charge a battery pack (which costs £25 rather than the many hundreds of a phone or GPS).  I run a SonDelux - which needs more speed to get enough oomph to charge things.  This is not a problem in audaxing as it all works well if you are riding along at 20kph+ - I guess it is a challenge for tourers with a lower speed (but the higher weight of the regular Son is less of an issue in touring).  The charging seems to work really well.  As I did with my E-Werk, I only charge during the day - I don't think the light and charging work together well.

So the light.  Well - it's flipping bright, well shaped and, frankly, astonishing.  End of review!

No - it's quite something.  If you're used to a Cyo R, then it has some of the same characteristics with a sharp cut-off at the top.  But it's a lot wider - see http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.asp for photos - it's just incredible.  The light fills in all the holes at the side of the road that the Cyo missed. 

There's a slight hot spot in the centre top of the beam to really see into the distance.  I didn't get flashed at by any motorists - so I think it passes the dazzle test well (assuming you mount it without pointing it upwards). 

As you slow down, the light at the top of the beam dim down and the stuff nearest to you gets brighter. It is all quite clever really.

It does get a bit flickery at very low speeds (probably again related to the SonDelux).  But nothing show stopping - if you're going slow uphill it still works.

A press on the handlebar button turns on the boost mode - this is powered by the cache battery - so doesn't last forever (I don't know how long - I should have left it on to test it).  Great for downhills.

All in all a fabulous light - it really does give me more confidence than even the mighty Cyo.  It's spendy - but when it brings USB charging into the picture as well, it's not terrible.  Well chuffed with it so far.
Right! What's next?

LEE

« Reply #170 on: 21 April, 2013, 11:24:08 pm »
Damn You Marcusjb!!!!

I was hoping for a bad review.

« Reply #171 on: 22 April, 2013, 06:35:33 am »
Damn You Marcusjb!!!!

I was hoping for a bad review.
Ditto. Bugger. We don't really need the charging. But better light for tandem descending? Darn it.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #172 on: 22 April, 2013, 07:40:54 am »
Sorry.

It is really quite a step up from a Cyo, both in brightness and beam shape.

I had several moments of thinking that a car was behind me, as the way it fills the whole road and sides with light is quite amazing.

I will be interested in how I get on in Wessex in a couple of weeks with lots of grovelling up hills very slowly. I think that is the only issue with using the SonDelux.  A Cyo just goes dim, where as the luxos does get dim and flickers at the lowest speeds.
Right! What's next?

Chris S

« Reply #173 on: 22 April, 2013, 07:48:52 am »
Rats. Had I realised you were road testing it on the Green & Yellow Fields, we'd have made an effort to ride with you to get a demo!

I'm reasonably OK with the brightness of the Cyo 90% of the time. I suppose you can never have too many Lumens when you're belting down a dark hill at 70kph.

« Reply #174 on: 22 April, 2013, 08:15:31 am »
.................  I think that is the only issue with using the SonDelux.  .....................

So just upgrade to the new SON 28 - simples, yes?  ;D :facepalm: