Author Topic: Running shoe advice  (Read 1290 times)

Running shoe advice
« on: 07 January, 2021, 07:13:14 pm »
Ever since I started running seriously, about six or seven years ago, I have been using Asics GT-1000s, apart from one pair of the 2000s (which are more cushioned) and for my trail shoes (which are also Asics on the grounds I knew they were OK). The GT-1000s seem to have been discontinued (at least the only ones on their website are in the sale and there are none in my size).
If times were normal I'd go either to the Asics shop in Clark's village (where most of the staff do seem to know what they're talking about) or to a running shop in Bath, for advice. But these are not normal times, of course.
Does anyone else have any experience of these shoes and can suggest any alternatives.
The GT-1000s were recommended by said running shop having got me to run up and down in the corridor outside. I didn't like the 2000s as they are more cushioned and it never felt quite right. 
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Re: Running shoe advice
« Reply #1 on: 07 January, 2021, 07:39:26 pm »
neutral, pronator, suppinator?

Wide or narrow feet?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 07 January, 2021, 07:42:43 pm »
Mild over pronation. (But that was when I got the first pair 'fitted'. Things might have changed)
I've always thought wide feet, but I am not really sure.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 07 January, 2021, 07:51:02 pm »

« Reply #4 on: 07 January, 2021, 07:56:24 pm »
Thanks for those links.
Sportshoes also didn't seem to have any size 10s, but Startfitness did. Have ordered.
By the time I need another pair, I hope I'll be able to go to a real shop again.

« Reply #5 on: 08 January, 2021, 08:01:54 am »
Northern runner is a good retailer. https://www.northernrunner.com/

Good range, I'm sure they'll offer advice over the web.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6 on: 08 January, 2021, 08:38:03 am »
Advice you want? If god had wanted man to run, s/he would not have invented the bicycle.

More advice? Can I point you towards the words of The Man Himself (I heard it first from his lips, all those years ago)

« Reply #7 on: 08 January, 2021, 09:08:25 am »
Advice you want? If god had wanted man to run, s/he would not have invented the bicycle.

More advice? Can I point you towards the words of The Man Himself (I heard it first from his lips, all those years ago)

To take that to the next level:

If God had wanted man to ride a bicycle s/he wouldn't have given mankind the motor car.

Funny how we never learned to fly but we got aeroplanes though.  😉

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8 on: 08 January, 2021, 09:35:26 am »
Does anyone else have any experience of these shoes and can suggest any alternatives.
The GT-1000s were recommended by said running shop having got me to run up and down in the corridor outside. I didn't like the 2000s as they are more cushioned and it never felt quite right.

I don't know the GT-1000 but I have a pair of Asics Dynamis (with the boa closure) and they're really lovely. RRP around £150 but I got them for ~£70 from sportsshoes.com. I like them because they're very lightweight and comfortable but not too cushioned. My current pair are pretty much falling apart now but I would happily buy the same again.

Also have a pair of Asics Metaride, which are supposed to be good for long distances but I'm not a huge fan - the sole is far too deep for my liking, and they feel a bit clumpy as a result. They also have terrible grip - really treacherous in the wet. No arguing with the comfort though. Again, very expensive at RRP (well over £200) but I was given them by a PR, so can't really complain about that!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."