Author Topic: London-Wales-London  (Read 67608 times)

Re: London-Wales-London
« Reply #400 on: 07 May, 2019, 02:04:57 pm »
Brilliant reading all and sounds so different from last year where night temps were 10c and whilst cold with fatigue and sweat I can not imagine sub zero like that ! Huge chapeau to you all

« Reply #401 on: 07 May, 2019, 03:12:32 pm »
Many thanks to Liam and all the helpers for another great event and congratulations on the success of your efforts to attract a large number of female riders.  The controls were all very well supplied.  Given the wonderful large cake portions at Chepstow, I was amused to see the two banners next to each other outside that read: 'Audax UK, The new weight watchers'.  I agree the Henley control was helpful too - I guess it was much more interesting for the garage attendant than his usual night shift!

Having said all that, I think it was one of the toughest rides (if not the toughest ride) I have done.  The head/cross winds made the first section more difficult than usual as it broke up groups of riders.  The wind continued to demand more effort on much of the rest of the section to Chepstow.  As others have said, the cold after dark really sapped any remaining strength too.  Given all that, can't complain too much about a 3:30am finish, just 30 minutes later than 2 years ago.  Yes, I knew it was going to be cold, but I didn't expect to then have to scrape ice off the car windscreen in May!

Phil W

« Reply #402 on: 07 May, 2019, 07:24:42 pm »
Some good write ups there. The Easter Arrow was also bloody freezing overnight. 

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #403 on: 07 May, 2019, 10:46:30 pm »
Thanks to Liam and all his team for a great event.

I have now thawed out, slept, read the reports on the internet and analysed the data. I even wrote a long report here but took so long it got lost in the ether when I hit send. I didn't have the enthusiasm to re-write it.

And now thanks to Von Broad for the above post. It conveys, better than I could, so many of my thoughts. I also used the phrase a ride of two halves - a wonderful day ride followed by a freezing night. I have never felt so cold on a bike.

As one of those looking to ride PBP for the first time I spent a lot of Saturday night wondering how I was going to find any speed overnight there if I couldn't find it on a 400. But a look at Strava Flyby showed I lost two hours overnight to people I had been riding with during the day (one of those people with seven layers on!). And the Garmin showed temperatures below zero for most of the night. I'm hoping for warmer weather in France.

The ride will live long in the memories. I will be back.

Being cold will slow you down. Cold muscles are not effective muscles and the body will use energy just to keep warm leaving less for the legs.

While weather in Brittany is not guaranteed to be sunshine. Subzero is unlikely. Layers for overnight still needed and don't get sunburn it's like a beer coat.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

S2L

« Reply #404 on: 08 May, 2019, 07:25:45 am »

While weather in Brittany is not guaranteed to be sunshine. Subzero is unlikely. Layers for overnight still needed and don't get sunburn it's like a beer coat.

Subzero in August in impossible... not even Alaska goes subzero in August...

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #405 on: 08 May, 2019, 07:50:26 am »

Subzero in August in impossible... not even Alaska goes subzero in August...
I was going to put impossible but then I remembered frost in the gardens on the borders of Belgium in September last year.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

S2L

« Reply #406 on: 08 May, 2019, 08:43:00 am »

I was going to put impossible but then I remembered frost in the gardens on the borders of Belgium in September last year.

September is a different beast... it's not uncommon to have heavy snowfalls in September in Alaska... I've seen frost in Richmond Park in September