Author Topic: Wiggle in administration  (Read 8111 times)

Re: Wiggle in administration
« Reply #25 on: 22 October, 2023, 03:25:57 pm »
Any expectation of when they may stop trading (based on prior similarities)?
The administrators will keep it trading as long as they think it has value as an entity and there are potential buyers.  They can do so for up to 12 months and extend that if creditors and courts agree.  Realistically, any potential buyer will already be talking to the administrators and considering an offer. Evans went into Administration and was bought out by Sports Direct within about a month.  I'd say it was unlikely for Wiggle to still be trading under administration in two months unless there was a serious offer being considered. 

ian

« Reply #26 on: 22 October, 2023, 04:09:08 pm »
These are cash-heavy businesses since you can't supply orders (and do so at least as quickly as your competitors) unless you keep substantial inventory, which broadly means you need upfront cash (obviously there are deals with manufacturers and supplies, but you need insurance to cover any shortfall). It seems the necessary liquidity was turned off at the holding company level. No liquidity, no stock, no insurance. Hence administration as they try to find funds.

I'm not really clear how just the two cycling retailers managed to post a £97 million loss. It seems their problems aren't new, post-acquisition by Signa, there was a ~£250 million goodwill impairment, which would suggest they substantially overvalued the business. Caveat emptor and all that. The online sales model is aggressively transactional as everyone shops around and buys the cheapest and quickest, so margins are thin at the best of times.

« Reply #27 on: 22 October, 2023, 04:33:31 pm »
So it's SJS, Spa Cycles and Tredz left to fill the gap, and Sigma Sports of course

Tweeks and Merlin seem to be in the frame too?

Bike24.de
Discountbike.de
Mantel.nl
Bike-components.de
Futurumshop.nl

Plenty of places still going...

J

Some of those no longer ship to the UK post Brexit.

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #28 on: 23 October, 2023, 02:47:29 am »
You do your research, you place your order.
"Out of  Stock"
The modern conundrum in the race to the best price.
You then spend hours trawling through  the internet trying to find what you wanted all along  and pricing to a degree becomes secondary.
often lost.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #29 on: 23 October, 2023, 07:11:15 am »
"Out of  Stock"
You then spend hours trawling through  the internet trying to find what you wanted all along  and pricing to a degree becomes secondary.

Very much this, not best price, just is it in stock or not
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #30 on: 23 October, 2023, 07:40:26 am »
"Out of  Stock"

Very much this, not best price, just is it in stock or not

. . . coupled with checking out some of the outrageous delivery charges.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #31 on: 23 October, 2023, 08:18:42 am »
It doesn't help that Google Shopping is, and has always been, crap.  It does check for stock (yay!) but sometimes picks up prices excluding VAT, and very few retailers are on it.

I ignore Amazon results in search engines as the item is inevitably out of stock and they will try a bait-and-switch with some Chinesium shite instead.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #32 on: 23 October, 2023, 11:21:57 am »
CRC seem to have upped their Marketing emails this weekend
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #33 on: 24 October, 2023, 08:45:04 am »
Probably for Black Friday deals :hand:

« Reply #34 on: 24 October, 2023, 08:52:53 am »
Prices appear to be the same now as before the recent 'Black Friday' push, at least for the items I'd been looking at - they had the 30% off prior to this marketing.  Who's going to buy a bike now, with the prospect of... everything imploding before delivery/ no aftersales -  frame or parts guarantee?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #35 on: 24 October, 2023, 10:33:50 am »
Probably for Black Friday deals :hand:
Yes.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #36 on: 24 October, 2023, 05:01:50 pm »
I googled a few cycling things today, Shimano chain, Castelli jacket etc, - no results at all for Wiggle or CR. All the items were in stock at both so I don't know how they stop Google bringing them up?

robgul

« Reply #37 on: 24 October, 2023, 05:22:23 pm »
I googled a few cycling things today, Shimano chain, Castelli jacket etc, - no results at all for Wiggle or CR. All the items were in stock at both so I don't know how they stop Google bringing them up?

I just had a look and it seems the the "sponsored links" at the top of Google (i.e. the paid-for ads) don't feature Wiggle/CRC but that further down the unpaid listings they do - makes sense to pull the ads which they would have to pay for  (or even Google may have stopped them pending payment or uncertainty thereof?)

« Reply #38 on: 27 October, 2023, 05:12:25 pm »
The self administration failed and they're now in full administration:
https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/general/news/wiggle-chain-reaction-cycles-goes-into-administration

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #39 on: 30 October, 2023, 11:16:09 am »
Frasers Group having a sniff:
https://www.retailsector.co.uk/646832-frasers-mulls-rescue-of-wiggle-after-collapse/

(sorry, you have to subscribe to read the article but the headline should be enough for now ;))

ETA: more info here:
https://road.cc/content/news/frasers-group-reportedly-mulling-bid-wiggle-304757
Pen Pusher

« Reply #40 on: 02 November, 2023, 09:57:40 am »
Anyone going to take a chance on ordering from them?
It is tempting to try to stock up on parts, but not spend too much.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #41 on: 02 November, 2023, 10:08:04 am »

I was wondering the same.  There are a couple of their own brand things I really want but are showing at full price ATM (despite the Black Friday nonsense).  Don't know whether to buy now or wait for a possible fire sale.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Afasoas

« Reply #42 on: 04 November, 2023, 08:20:21 pm »

I was wondering the same.  There are a couple of their own brand things I really want but are showing at full price ATM (despite the Black Friday nonsense).  Don't know whether to buy now or wait for a possible fire sale.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/nov/04/brexit-lack-of-cash-politics-has-the-uk-cycling-revolution-run-out-of-road

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #43 on: 04 November, 2023, 09:28:36 pm »

Bike24.de
Discountbike.de
Mantel.nl
Bike-components.de
Futurumshop.nl

J

No need to rub it in.  I used to get most of my bike stuff from bike24 before brexit

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #44 on: 05 November, 2023, 01:32:00 am »

No need to rub it in.  I used to get most of my bike stuff from bike24 before brexit

I wonder why it's the UK ones going bust...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

robgul

« Reply #45 on: 05 November, 2023, 08:13:55 am »

. . .  and this is an interesting development given the very niche product offerings :   https://www.pashley.co.uk/blogs/pashley/were-crowdfunding  - raising funds for, mostly, R&D by the look of it.

« Reply #46 on: 05 November, 2023, 09:00:28 am »

I’ve become a Wiggle troll in recent years. Despite that, I took a punt last week and ordered three rims (20% off RRP). Everything was fine. Delivered free in good time. No Haribo, but I don’t care. That the order was over the limit for credit card protection was reassuring, just in case.

« Reply #47 on: 05 November, 2023, 09:25:12 am »

Bike24.de
Discountbike.de
Mantel.nl
Bike-components.de
Futurumshop.nl

J

Interesting to note that some UK retailers that stopped exporting to Europe (or did so with sufficiently p&p to dissuade buyers, like SJS) have ironed out their problems and restarted. Niche markets, not mainline like CRC, but there are odd things that people like Spa have that are outrageously expensive or impossible to find in France.

« Reply #48 on: 05 November, 2023, 09:30:03 am »

I wonder why it's the UK ones going bust...

J

Signa isn’t a UK company, it’s based in Berlin, and all its brands are in trouble. There is a UK element I’d course, the crash in cycle sales post-pandemic.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #49 on: 05 November, 2023, 11:36:57 am »
If you buy from a company trading while in administration, the supply of goods is the responsibility of the administrator, if something goes wrong and you don't get the goods, they'll refund you for the error, you won't join the list of unsecured creditors.  The supply part is more secure than if you'd bought the week before they went into administration.  Warranty issues in the first year ought to be fairly straightforward, you by-pass the retailer and go to their supplier, or manufacturer. In theory, you have the same consumer rights, though obviously it isn't as easy to exercise them.  I don't know how that works with own brand stuff, where effectively the retailer was the supplier.  Warranties beyond the statutory is probably more complicated, I'm guessing it depends on who made the offer.
Buying liquidated stock is something different, I don't think you have any rights beyond it being as described.  If it does head into liquidation, I'd expect some bargains from disappearing brands, less so for any other stock.