Author Topic: Garmin Livetrack failure  (Read 3080 times)

Garmin Livetrack failure
« on: 09 May, 2020, 07:54:45 pm »
I have an edge 1000 explore and usually ride solo so use livetrack so my wife can keep an rye on me. Since the beginning of Maty it has stopped working:

Livetrack starts automatically when I start and sends email to the recipient. Recpient opens email to get map with this message, 'page will update automatically when location data is available'. It does not then track the ride. I've reset the device, un paired and re paired with my phone etc and spent 20 mins on 'chat' with Garmin support.  The dhar didn't resolve anything but I was emailed and asked to send a report from my garmin and to copy and email them my 'Garmin 'folder from the device.  I live in hope.  I was told that this is not s known issue but have since found several othe cyclists with rhe same problem.  It has been suggested that it may have occured after an update from Garmin but I don't know when updates occur as they download automatically over wi-fi.

Does anyone here has the same problem or have any suggestions for a fix?

Thanks

Re: Garmin Livetrack failure
« Reply #1 on: 09 May, 2020, 11:17:04 pm »
Not sure if this helps but I've used the "share location" feature on google maps for the last few months.  The apparent battery drain in my phone is so low I actually leave it enabled permanently.  It's so nice to arrive home at late o clock after a 300 and have Mrs Bolt waiting at the garden gate to welcome me :thumbsup:
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #2 on: 10 May, 2020, 01:40:12 pm »
Thanks Bolt, I may give it a go until the Garmin issue is resolved.  I now find that several others have exactly the same issue.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #3 on: 10 May, 2020, 01:56:31 pm »
After failures with Garmin and Wahoo tracking and with Strava killing their support for sensors making the recording app useless, I have gravitated to eCrumb from RoadID which has worked well and reliably so far. Simple, easy to use and does its single task well. YMMV.

« Reply #4 on: 24 May, 2020, 06:42:30 pm »
Recently purchased an Edge 530 and have used the Livetrack twice without any problems, Both occasions using my wife's email so she could keep an eye on my run.

Was expecting problems though after reading about them beforehand so was pleasantly surprised with the results.
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #5 on: 24 May, 2020, 07:08:42 pm »
I copy myself into the tracking message so I know it has been sent, I can then test the link to see if it works and then could reboot phone and restart GPS if required.

« Reply #6 on: 09 June, 2020, 09:38:08 am »
I used Livetrack for the first time on Sunday on my Garmin 245 and it worked just fine. However, my wife stalks me if I'm late back using "Find my iPhone" so there is a back-up.

« Reply #7 on: 09 June, 2020, 11:31:53 am »
I copy myself into the tracking message so I know it has been sent, I can then test the link to see if it works and then could reboot phone and restart GPS if required.

I do the same and use the 'extend' option so I can review the track when I'm done to see where it failed – and it invariably does fail. This is with an Edge 1000, but I had the same problem with an 820. The unit routinely disconnects from my phone mid-ride, despite being inches away from it in a bar bag.

The problem with other solutions that only show the current location and not the route (iOS Find My, for instance) is that the tracker doesn't show distance travelled or if you're off-route – both quite handy for audax.