Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951286 times)

AndyK

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2600 on: 25 September, 2012, 09:09:11 am »
Scary Movie, for the first time in years.  It's still funny, especially when Ghost Face is smoking dope through a fish tank, and the notorious ejaculation scene.

I don't find any of those spoof movies funny. I saw Airplane - and that was funny - but since then they've all just rehashed the same old jokes.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #2601 on: 25 September, 2012, 09:33:08 am »
Went to see Brave today. Really enjoyed it. And it had THE BEAR.

We went en famille at the weekend.  Good fun ...

« Reply #2602 on: 25 September, 2012, 09:35:37 am »
Alamar (To the Sea). Very relaxing, enchanting even. Visual cocoa, but in a good way.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2603 on: 25 September, 2012, 03:10:48 pm »
Off to see Judge Dredd tomorrow and might see Lawless afterwards.  I love days off in the week!
Ooo, tell us about Lawless. I quite fancy Gary Oldman the look of that.

I finally got round to seeing Lawless last night.  I enjoyed it more than Killing them softly but that’s damning with faint praise.

It’s a 1930s set story of the Franklin County moonshine war, supposedly taken from real events.  The protagonists are hillbilly moonshiners vs the law (themselves shown as venal and then increasingly corrupt, as embodied by Guy Pearce’s turn as a chilling Special Deputy).

I did enjoy the film although I would have liked more back story on most of the characters.  The performances were good from all the cast, particularly Guy Pearce.  Gary Oldman was great but he only has about three shortish scenes.  Tom Hardy was good and convincingly brutal, although again I would like to have seen more of his character’s story explored.

The ending kind of jarred and seemed a bit too Waltons like after the preceding uncompromising two hours.  I felt overall that the film was either an edit and rewrite too short or too far as the whole didn’t quite work, although some of the parts were great.

It’s the hillbilly aspect that provides for me what was the best part of the film – the soundtrack.  The soundtrack is great and includes lots of Emmylou Harris and some Ralph Stanley, including an awesome cover of Lou Reed’s White Light/White Heat done in what Stanley would refer to as ‘Old time mountain style’ rather than the catch all ‘bluegrass’.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2604 on: 25 September, 2012, 03:20:10 pm »
I watched Inception the other night.  Visually stunning, but I spent at least half the time wishing for subtitles.  It made the first part of the film hard to follow (perhaps paradoxically, once it got multi-layered, it became more visual and made a lot more sense).  Dunno if that's me or the audio...   ???

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2605 on: 25 September, 2012, 03:35:00 pm »
I watched Inception the other night.  Visually stunning, but I spent at least half the time wishing for subtitles.  It made the first part of the film hard to follow (perhaps paradoxically, once it got multi-layered, it became more visual and made a lot more sense).  Dunno if that's me or the audio...   ???

Mumbly dialogue seems almost to be the norm now.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2606 on: 30 September, 2012, 07:35:54 am »
American Reunion.  Feels a bit forced to start with but improves immeasurably when Stifler turns up and gets very good by about halfway through.  They managed to get the whole original cast back, so even The Sherminator gets a (v funny) cameo.

Crude isn't the word.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jakob

« Reply #2607 on: 03 October, 2012, 04:07:05 am »
Dredd 3D..and it is quite good! Finally a simple, but well executed action movie. Easily the best comic book adaption since The Watchmen.

fuzzy

« Reply #2608 on: 04 October, 2012, 09:40:48 am »
Dredd 3D..and it is quite good! Finally a simple, but well executed action movie. Easily the best comic book adaption since The Watchmen.

I went to see Dredd with No.2 Son last night.

My overall impression is  :thumbsup:

The 3D aspect was OK. It made for some interesting perspectives and scenes (slomo seems to have been included as a great foil for the 3D) but it did not make the film any more enjoyable than if it had been 2D.

The landscape and props (vehicles, costume etc) of the Stallone version looked to be truer to the comic strip whereas this version is a lot truer to the atmosphere of the comic.

Urban has the Dredd character down to a tee in my opinion.

As I indicated, I thoroughly enjoyed the film (Dredd is a favourite character of mine from the comic strip world).

LindaG

« Reply #2609 on: 04 October, 2012, 11:54:57 pm »
Hope Springs, what a crock of shit.
We saw that on Sat and liked it. Most of the audience also seemed to like it - apart from the teenagers who walked out.

Brilliant performance from Meryll Streep.
We saw it tonight and we liked it too.

LindaG

« Reply #2610 on: 04 October, 2012, 11:57:03 pm »
Oh, and I was delighted to see a trailer for a new film with lovely Alan Rickman in it. Yummy!

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #2611 on: 05 October, 2012, 12:10:07 am »
Today my copy of Avengers Assemble arrived from That Amazon. Curled up on t'sofa tonight and stuck it on. I think that's viewing number three (cinema, mate's dodgy downloaded copy, and now blu-ray) and I still love it.

« Reply #2612 on: 05 October, 2012, 10:07:24 am »
Point Blank with Lee Marvin and Angie Dickinson on the telly late one night last week. Never seen it before. It was very good. Moody and intermittently very violent. More like a European than an American film from the 60s.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Hillbilly

« Reply #2613 on: 05 October, 2012, 09:41:28 pm »
The Crazies.  Epidemic horror.  Decent enough, with a quiet undertone of threat.  Not as impactful as 28 Days Later though.

LindaG

« Reply #2614 on: 05 October, 2012, 10:11:05 pm »
Looper.

I can't give a very thorough review of this film as I slept through quite a lot of it.  Crusty says this was probably for the best.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2615 on: 06 October, 2012, 12:41:57 am »
Ground Control.  Described by Red of this parish as the most relaxing disaster movie he'd ever seen.  He's not wrong.

« Reply #2616 on: 07 October, 2012, 06:16:29 pm »
Serenity. Again.
For ironing to.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #2617 on: 07 October, 2012, 07:07:32 pm »
Bad Day at Black Rock. I needed to see a proper film as an antidote to the truly dreadful 'Sweeney'.

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #2618 on: 07 October, 2012, 07:14:44 pm »
Fucking good film that.

Jakob

« Reply #2619 on: 08 October, 2012, 05:34:28 am »

The landscape and props (vehicles, costume etc) of the Stallone version looked to be truer to the comic strip whereas this version is a lot truer to the atmosphere of the comic.

I agree (Except the bikes were a bit naff). I think the cityscape especially was a good way of interpreting it. At first I went 'that's not right', but with a little thought I could see that it really shows how big the mega-blocks are in relation to the other buildings.

I hope they continue this franchise along the same lines...
(And I gotta see if I can find the original comics)

fuzzy

« Reply #2620 on: 08 October, 2012, 09:54:23 am »

I agree (Except the bikes were a bit naff). I think the cityscape especially was a good way of interpreting it. At first I went 'that's not right', but with a little thought I could see that it really shows how big the mega-blocks are in relation to the other buildings.

There is a collection of books that serialise the comics . I am on book 5 at the moment.

The strips in alot of cases are scans from comics so the defintition of the line drawings on some suffers to a degree, but a lot of the strips are fine.

Hillbilly

« Reply #2621 on: 08 October, 2012, 07:57:05 pm »
Looper. Story didn't quite live up to its premise.  Good though.

Jakob

« Reply #2622 on: 09 October, 2012, 05:14:23 am »

There is a collection of books that serialise the comics . I am on book 5 at the moment.

The strips in alot of cases are scans from comics so the defintition of the line drawings on some suffers to a degree, but a lot of the strips are fine.

Thank you!

Chris S

« Reply #2623 on: 09 October, 2012, 07:27:33 pm »
Prometheus. Again.

There's a vomit scene.

(find a safe place, find a safe place... there there....)  :facepalm:

fuzzy

« Reply #2624 on: 10 October, 2012, 12:43:18 pm »

Thank you!

You're welcome :thumbsup: