Author Topic: Tour of Britain 2010 route  (Read 16850 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Tour of Britain 2010 route
« on: 20 April, 2010, 04:13:08 pm »
Apologies if this has already been posted (I couldn't see it when I just had a quick scan, but it's not clear from the official site when they published this but the Beeb have just put up a pointer to it dated today)

The Tour of Britain 2010 – The Race

Looks like the Bury St Edmunds to Colchester section goes very near to my neck of the woods :), although it's a bit hard to tell from their rather vague map!

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

RJ

• Droll rat
Re: Tour of Britain 2010 route
« Reply #1 on: 20 April, 2010, 05:18:14 pm »
What a very Westminster definition of Britain  >:(

(= England & Wales ...)

« Reply #2 on: 20 April, 2010, 05:21:33 pm »
...although it's a bit hard to tell from their rather vague map!

Vague?  That's an understatement.

« Reply #3 on: 20 April, 2010, 05:35:10 pm »
Yeah, the map is pretty shit, but it does look like the yacf Essex massive will get a chance to watch without travelling too far  :thumbsup:

Looking at the not-very-accurate-map, I reckon they're sending 'em up North Hill before heading to Colchester.....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #4 on: 21 April, 2010, 12:30:27 pm »
more detailed maps and routes usually become available nearer the time

« Reply #5 on: 24 April, 2010, 09:28:02 pm »
It looks like the Newtown/Swansea route takes in the Black Mountain before descending to Brynaman and on to Pontardawe.  I think I'll be booking a day's leave for September 13th when I get to work on Monday. 

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #6 on: 24 April, 2010, 09:45:45 pm »
Stage 2 is my neck of the woods :thumbsup:

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #7 on: 25 April, 2010, 08:03:41 am »

I wonder if on the more detailed maps they'll discover that they've missed off half of the country ?
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #8 on: 25 April, 2010, 08:20:52 am »
No NE of England stage this year then  ???

It would be nice, one year, if they could organise a race that didnt involve transfers every night.
I might try and get along to the London stage, esp as its on the east side of town.

« Reply #9 on: 25 April, 2010, 08:48:14 am »

I wonder if on the more detailed maps they'll discover that they've missed off half of the country ?

Maybe those parts where:

- the police aren't helful
- The towns aren't helpful
- there are insufficient hotels of appropriate quality/size (we're probably talking over 1,000 beds)
etc.

It must be a nightmare planning a route with all these restrictions - remember when one plice force insisted on a race neutralisation?

« Reply #10 on: 25 April, 2010, 09:51:49 am »

Shocking isn't it.

Giropaul says it though. Towns don't want the hassle or can't afford it. Police won't permit it on terms that the race can adhere to.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #11 on: 25 April, 2010, 01:34:55 pm »

Maybe those parts where:

- there are insufficient hotels of appropriate quality/size (we're probably talking over 1,000 beds)
etc.

It must be a nightmare planning a route with all these restrictions - remember when one plice force insisted on a race neutralisation?

Let me ask which half of the country has the highest climbs, the most empty roads, and, oh yes, the local authority and police co-operation to provide the UK's only closed-road sportive ?
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #12 on: 25 April, 2010, 01:37:54 pm »
Would be nice if it was over three weeks so they could actually do a proper tour rather than selected bits. You would probably get two crossings of the Pennines plus the hills in the borders.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #13 on: 25 April, 2010, 01:40:15 pm »

Maybe those parts where:

etc.

Let me ask which half of the country has the highest climbs, the most empty roads, and, oh yes, the local authority and police co-operation to provide the UK's only closed-road sportive ?

Maybe the 'tacks' incidents and negative publicity was a reason the ToB avoided it. Maybe the communities don't want to pay for the race to visit them. The Etape Caledonia is the sportive with the most bad publicity and it wasn't because of the organisation or route

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #14 on: 25 April, 2010, 07:54:16 pm »

I think that a large part of the route selection is that they rely on funding from regional bodies so that whoever pays to fund a stage gets a stage.   I know there's been criticism among riders in the past over the length of transfers involved between stages, but I gather it's essentially down to funding  :-\

Might also explaing why it's:-

a very Westminster definition of Britain  >:(

(= England & Wales ...)

maybe Westminster wouldn't pay for Scotland in this instance?  ;) :demon:

« Reply #15 on: 25 April, 2010, 07:56:57 pm »

Maybe those parts where:

etc.

Don't you get lots of punctures though !

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #16 on: 25 April, 2010, 09:04:06 pm »

Maybe those parts where:

etc.

Don't you get lots of punctures though !

I was wondering if someone would take that tack..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #17 on: 26 April, 2010, 08:02:51 am »
Fine, but call it what it is - The Tour of England.  Occasional excursions into Wales or Scotland considered on payment of the requisite fee.
Aero but not dynamic

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #18 on: 26 April, 2010, 07:22:14 pm »
The Norfolk stage can be found in full & broken down into sections here .

Press release here , from which:

"The financial backing to host the race has been provided by the County Council, but five of Norfolk's district councils along the route (Borough Council of King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Broadland District Council, Great Yarmouth Borough Council, North Norfolk District Council, Norwich City Council) have also pledged additional financial support to help stage the event" seems to support this:

I think that a large part of the route selection is that they rely on funding from regional bodies so that whoever pays to fund a stage gets a stage.   I know there's been criticism among riders in the past over the length of transfers involved between stages, but I gather it's essentially down to funding  :-\

The Norwich section is very close to work: I think the Grapes Hill footbridge might be a good vantage point, particularly as that's where the third Sprint of the day will happen. Alternatively, Gurney Hill over Mousehold Heath is a KoM point.
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

noisycrank

• twitter @noisycrank
« Reply #19 on: 26 April, 2010, 09:11:58 pm »

Two of the sponsors at the foot of the page last time I looked were Highland Spring and Event Scotland. Maybe a hangover from last year when it struggled north.
If you don't like my haircut you can suck my socks!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #20 on: 26 April, 2010, 09:17:28 pm »

Two of the sponsors at the foot of the page last time I looked were Highland Spring and Event Scotland. Maybe a hangover from last year when it struggled north.

Interesting... they also have a Newcastle/Gateshead logo down there too - did it visit Newcastle last year?

« Reply #21 on: 26 April, 2010, 09:41:27 pm »
It's the same site as used last year. Go back through the news archive to see announcements from last year. If it wasn't last year it was the year before that Gateshead hosted a stage finish.

Edit: stage 2 finished in Gateshead in 2009

« Reply #22 on: 26 April, 2010, 09:53:21 pm »
If I'm doing nowt else I'll probably go to see in on stage 1, maybe for the grand depart or the finish or somewhere in between

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #23 on: 27 April, 2010, 08:22:19 am »
It looks like the Newtown/Swansea route takes in the Black Mountain before descending to Brynaman and on to Pontardawe.  I think I'll be booking a day's leave for September 13th when I get to work on Monday.  

On the Real Peloton podcast they said that the finale would include a climb/some climbs of Constitution Hill, used in the Kellogs Tour in 1999 1993.

The Independent's race report from 1999 1993:

THE Kellogg's Tour of Britain met cycling's equivalent of the rack yesterday. Swansea's cobbled Constitution Hill came close to rating a visit from the League against Cruel Sports but the Belgian winner Serge Baguet reckoned that it was worse coming down than going up.

There were many who would dispute that as the one-in-three slopes sapped and stopped several riders in their tracks. Some decided it was faster to walk, and coming after a day in the Brecon Beacons it was sadistic.

It spelt doom for the brave efforts of the Russian Evgeni Berzin. Four miles from the finish his solo effort ended as the third climb of the mile- long drag* exhausted his reserves.

For 48 miles he had toiled alone, to arrive in Swansea almost five minutes in the clear, an impressive lead for a man who is used to winning track races by split seconds.

Baguet and the Dutchman Maarten Den Bakker were intent on stopping Berzin. As the bell sounded for the final five-mile lap they were within 10 seconds of him with theDane Jesper Skibby closing fast at 32 seconds, and Constitution Hill looming painfully.

*actually about 300 metres
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #24 on: 27 April, 2010, 09:40:01 am »

Peebles hosted a stage start last year with a really good turnout,  and would be happy to do so again, so I don't believe there is any lack of will here in Scotland.  Nor wold there be any problem finding beds in early Sept - rural Scotland is kept afloat by tourism!

It's easy to moan about it not coming to Scotland this time, but I think that's unfair - ToB has been here for a few years now and maybe it's just not our turn - Tdf doesn't go to Brittany every year either.
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'