Author Topic: waterproofs  (Read 1788 times)

waterproofs
« on: 09 January, 2020, 07:41:27 pm »
What is best type of waterproofs that are breathable?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: waterproofs
« Reply #1 on: 09 January, 2020, 07:56:17 pm »
There are HUGE ranges and all kids of questions before a halfway intelligent answer can be given.

'Breathability' is very variable and any hardworking cyclist can EASILY outsweat the best of fabrics. If you can find out how much moisture your fabric can transmit, you can start making a judgement, but the information is usually REALLY difficult to find. You then need to consider garment weight and bulk, and packability. A thin summer shell might not do as a winter all-day coat, even with numerous intermediate layers.

I would prefer to buy something I can see, feel and try in a shop so local availability is a factor.

There are few simple answers...

Phil W

« Reply #2 on: 09 January, 2020, 08:19:28 pm »
Waterproofs are shit on a bike if working moderately hard, expect to get sweaty and for that sweat to cool and soak back to your skin.  Best waterproof I used to wear was a Gore active short sleeve (came to elbows).  I just wear high wicking shells now that are not completely windproof , air can circulate a bit, which stops the sweat build up, slows rain ingress dramatically, and keeps the skin dry even if mid / outer laters are a bit damp.

If committed to a waterproof shell then look for ones with pit zips or similar for venting excess moisture build up / heat.

« Reply #3 on: 09 January, 2020, 08:21:23 pm »
Paramo are the nearest thing to breathable for me but not for the chain gang methinks. Also, not fashionable, but capes do a good job as they keep you warm, vented and remarkably unconcerned when it's  pouring down. In my price range eveything else seems to be various varieties of boil in the bag. Warm and wet is ok cold and wet is very much not.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 09 January, 2020, 08:28:01 pm »
Also, not fashionable, but capes do a good job [...]

4 posts, well done  :D

« Reply #5 on: 09 January, 2020, 08:29:53 pm »
Editing is not one of my strengths :)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 09 January, 2020, 08:41:24 pm »
Paramo do seem quite breathable but also tend to be a bit heavier than membrane waterproofs. They used to do a specific cycling design, which they've dropped, but I doubt it was much different from their other stuff apart from being fluorescent yellow. I'm pretty impressed by my Rohan Storm Rider jacket (I think that's the name), which is not fluro but a bright though not garish orange; but they haven't sold it for several years. I think their other stuff is more rambler-y or travelling businessman-y.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 09 January, 2020, 09:10:29 pm »
Paramo do seem quite breathable but also tend to be a bit heavier than membrane waterproofs. They used to do a specific cycling design, which they've dropped, but I doubt it was much different from their other stuff apart from being fluorescent yellow. I'm pretty impressed by my Rohan Storm Rider jacket (I think that's the name), which is not fluro but a bright though not garish orange; but they haven't sold it for several years. I think their other stuff is more rambler-y or travelling businessman-y.

https://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/explore-range/product/?pk=1D46C98A-399E-4494-987D-2772D1148984

They still do the Quito which is their cycling specific jacket.

I have had one for a number of years, It's a most excellent cycling jacket in the winter months.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #8 on: 09 January, 2020, 09:21:08 pm »
I have the Paramo Ciclo for commuting in winter, which is heavy but as proven this evening, waterproof (except for the water running down my neck)

For 'proper' cycling, layered jerseys and windproofs. Warm and damp is fine if you keep moving.  Space blanket in the Carradice in case you really can't.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #9 on: 09 January, 2020, 09:21:20 pm »
No jacket is perfect but the best "breathable" waterproof I have come across are those using the relatively new "shakedry" or "Gore One" two layer fabric. This is my goto jacket all year round; in winter, I just add some layers under it.
For the legs, I am a fan of Rainlegs - they keep the thighs dry and are open at back so "breathing" is not an issue. Both items bundle up to fist sized, or thereabouts, objects.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 09 January, 2020, 10:05:04 pm »
Gore shakedry is the first waterproof I've used that is bearable at audax pace. Pretty much everything else I've used is boil-in-a-bag, from vented Goretex to cheap stuff with pit-zips. Shakedry is not cheap and pretty much anti-visibility, if that is a concern. I'd not use it under a backpack, the material looks fragile. It packs small though.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #11 on: 09 January, 2020, 10:16:22 pm »
I have never owned any flashy shoop dee woop wop jackets and have survived very rainy brevets such as the last Rowland's Ramble, which had about 40 riders turning up out of the 110 who were registered. I've only ever worn economical (to say the least) clothes and mudguards. My 'jacket' which really is more like a jacket-jersey is a btwin one, which I think is the older model of this https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rr-900-winter-road-cycling-jacket-black-id_8502380.html . I have an el cheapo planet x stuff kagoul thing (maybe it's a 'rain cape'?) which is usually pretty handy too. For the rest of it I just accept that I'm going to get a bit wet and focus on staying the right temperature instead.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 09 January, 2020, 10:26:52 pm »
Brevets, touring and other longer bike rides, warm and wet is the best approach.  Skin is waterproof and quick-drying.  Windproofs can be useful, and it's important to have something in reserve for when you stop.  +1 for Rainlegs, unless you're on an extremely reclined recumbent, where they just serve as comedy air brakes.

If it's properly cold you just wear everything and hope for the best.

Shorter rides where you might reasonably stay dry and presentable for your destination with the right clothing are more challenging.  It's a delicate balance between distance, speed/climbing, boil-in-the-bagness and amount of precipitation, and I haven't mastered it yet.  Velomobile is probably the best solution, if you can't afford a cape :)

« Reply #13 on: 10 January, 2020, 01:20:05 am »
Paramo is very good at breathable, but it's bulky to carry when not being worn, and is warm enough to be problematical in summer (like putting on an extra jersey plus windshell).

Shakedry is lightweight, compact (jersey pocket size), black, and breathable enough to use as a windshell at a fairly decent pace. It's also fairly delicate. You'd be lucky if it survived an off, and you'd want to be careful about brushing past hedges etc that may have thorns.
Regular non-shakedry waterproofs can be almost equally good to start with, but if the rain lasts too long (where the duration of "too long" depends on how new they are), they wet out and become non-breathable, and wet from condensation inside.

I've found rainlegs inadequate for more than a couple of miles. They are full of stitching holes, the rain runs off the edge onto your trousers, and air doesn't circulate over the top of the leg so sweatiness does accumulate.

I use Shakedry (patched where the thorns got it), and goretex shorts. Knees down is skin, which dries quickly.

« Reply #14 on: 10 January, 2020, 10:11:09 am »
There are HUGE ranges and all kids of questions before a halfway intelligent answer can be given.
This.
How long? How wet? How packable? How expensive? How warm? What fit? What use?
I have three, they all work, but in different conditions and with different criteria.
The one thing they have in common is that the breathability comes more from the design, particularly the vents, than from the material.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #15 on: 12 January, 2020, 06:19:12 pm »

https://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/explore-range/product/?pk=1D46C98A-399E-4494-987D-2772D1148984

They still do the Quito which is their cycling specific jacket.

I have had one for a number of years, It's a most excellent cycling jacket in the winter months.

J
If only they still did the orange in that video.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #16 on: 12 January, 2020, 08:00:06 pm »
And talking of other brands... I've just discovered that Bob Marley had a son called Rohan!
!!1!! :o

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #17 on: 12 January, 2020, 08:15:39 pm »
My parents kindly got me some gore tex overtrouser things which was sweet of them but I really don't feel they'll be much good for cycling. I might bring them to the willy warmer next week if the outlook is poor but they just look too flappy and I find that I don't really worry much about my legs and feet so long as I'm not cold.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #18 on: 13 January, 2020, 11:57:54 am »
I have a Paramo Quito it was sold to me as a multi-activity jacket and while it is a great jacket for walking I don't like it for cycling. My choice are jackets made from Gortex Paclite which are lightweight more hard wearing than Shakedry and are waterproof.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home