Author Topic: Fitting a wired cycle computer  (Read 2168 times)

Fitting a wired cycle computer
« on: 10 April, 2008, 11:14:32 pm »
I will be fitting a wired cycle computer to my new bike.  The previous two computers I have owned before were wireless.  What advice do you have for neatly getting the wire from the fork sensor to the sensor?  I want to keep it as neat and invisible as possible.

thanks,  RJMcB

Re: Fitting a wired cycle computer
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2008, 11:26:32 pm »
The neatest way to run the wire and prevent any loose dangly bits is to wind it round one of your cable outers. I've got it wound round my front brake cable but just choose whichever brake/ gear cable goes in the neatest direction from the fork crown to where you are mounting your computer on the bars. Don't make it too tight though as you will notice the cable can be stretched a little when turning the bars left/ right.

Attach the cable to the forks with a couple of cable ties (yes it's OK to use them on carbon forks  :P) - black ones are the most discreet.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2008, 11:57:24 pm »
What Cyclops said. 

I used the front brake cable outer as this moves in the same plane as the fork, due to the fact it's connected to it.  This prevents the cable being broken by movement/friction.

I take it you will be posting pictures of the new bike once it arrives?

PS - pound shops are a great source of cheap cable ties.

« Reply #3 on: 11 April, 2008, 12:12:38 am »
Here's a picture of the cable routing on Sid the Singlespeed.  You can see a couple of black cable ties around the fork that takes the cable down the fork blade.  There are also a couple of cable ties around the brake cable, one at each end of where the computer cable is wrapped around the brake cable outer, to stop the wire from unravelling.

Click for bigness.

(Ignore the grubbiness of the bike!)
Actually, it is rocket science.