Author Topic: It's not the despair. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.  (Read 83699 times)

I think there should be a gallery of Audax control break shots. I'll kick off with a few of mine.

I've always liked the 'What's your passion' line , it makes it like an advert for Audax.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
One of my work colleagues (aged 51, right in the target range) has had to give up running and is starting cycling.  He asked me about the various types of riding and I included audax.  He's joined Audax UK and I shall enjoy showing him these pictures  :)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

jogler

• mojo operandi
I've failed to find a pic* I remember of 5 or 6 Audax Ecosse riders huddled together in a disabled toilet during a wet 4 or 600km ride (Edinburgh/Preston?).
It neatly summed up the rock 'n roll lifestyle of living high on the hog enjoyed by audaxers ;D  not

IIRC Damon's abode was the turn round control?

* I'm hoping someone else can find it.

Chris S

Here's my selection - hopefully adding balance to the 24-hour Tesco / Forecourt obsession so far exhibited:

P1010048 by Pelotonhound, on Flickr

P1010264 by Pelotonhound, on Flickr

P1010565 by Pelotonhound, on Flickr

IMAG0370 by Pelotonhound, on Flickr

For us - controls are mostly about the food. In winter, also beer.

jogler

• mojo operandi
^^^
now that is high on the hog ;)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
No foties atm, but wrt the title, the best "this chimes totally with how I feel" moment I ever saw was a graffito on a bus shelter near the end of an audax: it said simply, "I feel so much better now I've given up hope."
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Apologies Dave

Courtesy of Els (photo not food)

#makewattsnotwar

Er, yeah, all about the food.

And the zeds.

I think this picture of Manotea and Simonp at the Dreux control on PBP 11 sums it up quite well  ;D

Fidgetbuzz could kill me for this one:

Chris S

Especially as there seems to be a CDC in his pudding!

jogler

• mojo operandi
I thought it was cock a leekie soup :-\

Apologies Dave

The smeared lens speaks volumes. I like the way it shows that the first one to the Costa/Starbucks concession gets the leather sofa, but they're too short for me. The pricing at motorway service stations starts to make sense when a couple of hours sleep is factored in. But orange juice on arrival, coke or coffee before departure, and always eat the little biscuit or chocolate bean.

jogler

• mojo operandi
I've failed to find a pic* I remember of 5 or 6 Audax Ecosse riders huddled together in a disabled toilet during a wet 4 or 600km ride (Edinburgh/Preston?).
It neatly summed up the rock 'n roll lifestyle of living high on the hog enjoyed by audaxers ;D  not

IIRC Damon's abode was the turn round control?

* I'm hoping someone else can find it.

EUREKA

see reply #86 of this thread...

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=46393.75

One of my work colleagues (aged 51, right in the target range) has had to give up running and is starting cycling.  He asked me about the various types of riding and I included audax.  He's joined Audax UK and I shall enjoy showing him these pictures  :)

He'll find that on some rides people will open their home to riders, having been extended that courtesy by others in the past.

They'll even stoke up the stove so the riders can dry out.

but that later in the ride they might be huddled in a disabled toilet, repeatedly pushing the hand drier button. The guy in the foreground is wondering what happens if he pulls the alarm cord, will it make the ride stop? I wondered who had the disabled toilet key.

There's even a film to show your mate. People ride in those conditions and come back for more, but you have to know what you are doing, the progression through the distances helps.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Eph8qOUnM6I&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Eph8qOUnM6I&rel=1</a>

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
I wondered who had the disabled toilet key.

The photographer, mercurykev.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
Deja vu! This wasn't from last year's Brevet Cymru was it?!

Er, yeah, all about the food.
And the zeds.

Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

Chris S

No - although I looked as bad as that then, too  :facepalm:.

This new humiliation was the National 400 a couple of weeks ago. I just don't do night-time that well, I guess.

I've tracking down some Japanese photos. I'm not convinced about putting those tents up on the gravel of a river bed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/atkamano/6342476164/sizes/z/in/set-72157627996748535/

They seem to be having fun, I like the plywood table structure, it probably dismantles for transport.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/atkamano/6342477496/sizes/z/in/set-72157627996748535/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Riffing on the supermarket catchphrase thing, these photos show that Audaxers are "passionate about being passionless".  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
No foties atm, but wrt the title, the best "this chimes totally with how I feel" moment I ever saw was a graffito on a bus shelter near the end of an audax: it said simply, "I feel so much better now I've given up hope."
If you ever need the gents at Knighton (e.g. on the BCM), you might read:
(click to show/hide)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Riffing on the supermarket catchphrase thing, these photos show that Audaxers are "passionate about being passionless".  ;D

Certainly it favours those nations with a phlegmatic disposition. the Poles did well at PBP in 2011, when all of them finished.  http://shprung.com/pbp/?mode=list&country=Poland
But they are brought up with images of the Passion of Christ, so  faces drained of emotion during a great trial are a good fit into a part of their mindset.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I don't recognise the chap in the blue suit touching Jesus' shoulder, who is he? Whoever he is, I have a feeling most Poles would find that picture somewhere between distasteful and blasphemous. Myself, I just think it's a bit ickly. But I'm sure you could draw a parallel between Jesus riding into Jerusalem on a donkey to his execution and the Audaxer's humble bicycle to exhaustion. Or something. Not of course that all Audaxers' bikes are at all humble.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

The Audaxers sacraments are Coca Cola and Ibuprofen, their altar can be the bench outside the Co-op in Kinlochleven.

or the garage at Ballachuillish,

Here's some Audaxing Poles.