Author Topic: Jetboil compatible stove  (Read 4192 times)

Re: Jetboil compatible stove
« Reply #25 on: 03 August, 2023, 02:10:17 pm »
There must be almost as many standards for gas cartridges as for USB connectors.

The bigger problem is that none of them have proper names, so people use vague and ambiguous terms to describe them. I think there are 5 you might encounter in the wild (ignoring stuff for caravans):

1) Screw top / Coleman / C500 / B188 (sometimes called EN417, even though "EN417" doesn't define a specific valve type and will usually be written on the others)
2) Aerosol type / notched disk. Sometimes called "bayonet", even though it doesn't really bayonet. Often Campingaz branded and have a "click" fitting, though not compatible with...
3) Campingaz EazyClic / CV470. Very similar to (1) but no screw thread.
4) Piercable / Campingaz C206. Not seen it actively sold in a camping shop recently.
5) Non-disposable Campingaz. Still occasionally found on dusty shelves. Screw fitting, but unrelated to (1).

Inevitably any shop you go in will stock exactly one type as if it were the only one that existed.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 03 August, 2023, 02:43:56 pm »
Good point about the lack of definitive names. Easy Clic is what I was trying to remember earlier; I think I called it Quick Click. And I wasn't even aware of type 5 on your list!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #27 on: 03 August, 2023, 08:02:41 pm »
There must be almost as many standards for gas cartridges as for USB connectors.

The bigger problem is that none of them have proper names, so people use vague and ambiguous terms to describe them. I think there are 5 you might encounter in the wild (ignoring stuff for caravans):

1) Screw top / Coleman / C500 / B188 (sometimes called EN417, even though "EN417" doesn't define a specific valve type and will usually be written on the others)
2) Aerosol type / notched disk. Sometimes called "bayonet", even though it doesn't really bayonet. Often Campingaz branded and have a "click" fitting, though not compatible with...
3) Campingaz EazyClic / CV470. Very similar to (1) but no screw thread.
4) Piercable / Campingaz C206. Not seen it actively sold in a camping shop recently.
5) Non-disposable Campingaz. Still occasionally found on dusty shelves. Screw fitting, but unrelated to (1).

Inevitably any shop you go in will stock exactly one type as if it were the only one that existed.

4 still very much available loads in store in Millets yesterday
5. do you mean the 1 to 6lb bottles? 904 and 907 still very much in service it's the standard caravan bottle across Europe (although the Calor Gas version is the same gas for the same price in a bigger bottle but needs a different regulator). They used to do a 1lb version not sure if they still do. I used to use 904 and 907 for my Audax events but it's now much cheaper (like 5x)  to use the long bayonet aerosol* type from Amazon with the little square stove so I ebayed the 904 with its little burner and just use the 907

* made somewhere in the Far East which is probably a factor

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 03 August, 2023, 08:44:05 pm »
I'm currently on a mission to use up a 4-pack of the long bayonet aerosol type that I bought last year (for about 4 quid) before they rust, so I've just strapped one to the bike where the meths usually goes to bring to Watlington...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #29 on: 03 August, 2023, 09:41:42 pm »
I was about to ask what's happening at Watlington, but realised it must be an ALC meet. The year is not complete without at least one visit to White Mark (I was there notp in June, so aok).

« Reply #30 on: 03 August, 2023, 09:50:29 pm »

Then there's some that look like this, but don't quite match your stove. So you screw it on and no gas comes out. Worth testing before you go on a trip to middle of nowhere.

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #31 on: 03 August, 2023, 10:04:37 pm »

Then there's some that look like this, but don't quite match your stove. So you screw it on and no gas comes out. Worth testing before you go on a trip to middle of nowhere.

IIRC Campinggaz started putting grooves in their C206 canisters with equivalent notches on the stoves, we are talking 40 years ago

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 03 August, 2023, 10:27:09 pm »
I was about to ask what's happening at Watlington, but realised it must be an ALC meet. The year is not complete without at least one visit to White Mark (I was there notp in June, so aok).

Yeah, it's the traditional August birthday meet.  I anticipate spending at least one day of it hiding from the weather with the aid of a book.

« Reply #33 on: 03 August, 2023, 10:31:27 pm »

Yeah, it's the traditional August birthday meet.  I anticipate spending at least one day of it hiding from the weather with the aid of a book.

Hopefully you won't need a tow this time....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 03 August, 2023, 10:34:03 pm »

Hopefully you won't need a tow this time....

Possibly a jump-start...

« Reply #35 on: 03 August, 2023, 10:50:35 pm »
If you need raising to altitude, just lie down in the field.  The  red kites will do the rest....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #36 on: 04 August, 2023, 11:48:39 am »

If you are buying threaded gas canisters, can I put in a recommendation for the MSR Iso-pro canisters. The 100g and 230g have a very useful marking on the side, where by if you put the canister in a pot of water, it will float and tell you how much gas you have left. Highly recommend.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #37 on: 04 August, 2023, 10:56:07 pm »
You can get a clip-on canister stand. Makes it more stable for narrow canisters, or larger pots.
eg https://alpkit.com/products/camping-gas-canister-support-stand

The problem with a lot of clip-on canister stands is there is some variation in the diameter of the canisters, even if the canisters hold roughly the same amount of gas. A 100g JetBoil canister, a 100g Primus canister and a 100g MSR canister may not all have the same diameter, so a clip on stand that holds one of these securely may not hold the others. MSR has solved this with a spring loaded canister stand that adjusts to accommodate any diameter canister. https://www.msrgear.com/stoves/stove-accessories/universal-canister-stand/05346.html . Please excuse the US-centric URL, MSR does sell their products in the UK.
Please note that the msr stand can be made to fit other cans but as i found out the Coleman performance can in 230 or 250g only fits securely with one on the inner hook,  the other on the middle hook and the spread loaded hook to secure it.  This puts the weight to one side which may or may not affect stability if you combine a larger pot of water on a less than flat location. I have not tried many other makes but it fits a 10g msr can perfectly using the inner hooks, not surprisingly.

I had a plastic primus stand without any fancy spring loaded gismo. That did work with every make and size of can I tried. Coleman,  msr, go gas, primus and another I cannot  remember. Plus small,  medium and large can sizes. I think jetboil version is similar to the primus one.  Not surprising considering I believe primus had a hand in jetboil burner design originally before a kind of falling out and primus released their own system stove/pot product.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #38 on: 06 August, 2023, 07:53:37 am »
I’ve moved from a Jetboil to the Alpkit Brukit.  The Brukit comes with built in pan supports to allow use of pans other than the supplied pan/can.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #39 on: 06 August, 2023, 05:55:22 pm »
I was disgusted in may to discover that the cartridge that I used to used Camping Gaz CV207 (think I got that right, the smallest of that type) no longer exists and has been replaced by a new shape, taller and narrower than the one I used to use. The complication? The old one fitted nicely inside my cooking pans, the new one has to be carried separately. I am now cramming the stove and bits (that is over 25 yrs old!) into the cooking pans which is a sub-optimal situation. Could be time for a new stove but the old one works very well (and I can use up cartridges in my propane brazing kit!)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #40 on: 06 August, 2023, 05:58:56 pm »

Can you run camping stoves on Mapp gas?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #41 on: 06 August, 2023, 06:22:57 pm »
I was given a Jetboil kettle which is brilliant! only problem is the burner is useless for cooking on as the burner goes out if you put a pan on
Yep, pretty useless for anything other than boiling water. I got the original from the US before they were available in the UK, everyone told me it was a gimmick, yet 18 years later it's probably the most imitated stove ever. Great bit of kit, when solo camping, boiling water is as close as I get to cooking and it's small enough to have replaced a flask for long winter rides. I thought at one time it might replace the Trangia when camping with others, invested in the group pot and frypan, waste of money, the heat source is too small to cook well.   Mine wore out a couple of years ago, replaced by one of the imitations, a Primus Lite+, smaller, lighter and faster than the original Jetboil, I don't know how it compares with modern versions. Main advantage of the Primus is it sits lower on the canister, making it more stable, I don't use a stand, if there's nowhere stable to stand it, I'll hold it till it boils.
When using on day rides or overnights I'll have a 100g cannister inside, if away for more than a couple of nights I'll pack other stuff inside it and carry a larger cannister.

« Reply #42 on: 06 August, 2023, 06:35:44 pm »
I’ve moved from a Jetboil to the Alpkit Brukit. 
That's one of Alpkit's re-badged products, you can often find the identical stove, with a different badge, cheaper elsewhere.  I had one from Planet-X though they now only list a larger one. It looked like what it was, a cheap imitation, I didn't keep it, though mainly because the size didn't suit me.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #43 on: 06 August, 2023, 08:13:01 pm »
Ali Express is usually where you can find the 'original' at lower price.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #44 on: 06 August, 2023, 08:14:05 pm »
I was disgusted in may to discover that the cartridge that I used to used Camping Gaz CV207 (think I got that right, the smallest of that type) no longer exists and has been replaced by a new shape, taller and narrower than the one I used to use. The complication? The old one fitted nicely inside my cooking pans, the new one has to be carried separately. I am now cramming the stove and bits (that is over 25 yrs old!) into the cooking pans which is a sub-optimal situation. Could be time for a new stove but the old one works very well (and I can use up cartridges in my propane brazing kit!)
When I tried carrying a gas cannister inside a pot, I ended up with red paint dust all over the inside of my pot. Not a huge problem, I just rinsed it out, but enough to put me off doing it again.

« Reply #45 on: 06 August, 2023, 09:00:08 pm »
When I tried carrying a gas cannister inside a pot, I ended up with red paint dust all over the inside of my pot.
I stick the cannister in a food bag before putting it inside, not just the paint rubbing off, also whatever it's been stood on/in.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #46 on: 06 August, 2023, 09:03:22 pm »
Yeah, I probably should have tried that. But I generally keep my mug inside the pot now.