Author Topic: XP administrator password..?  (Read 1840 times)

XP administrator password..?
« on: 12 July, 2008, 02:26:05 pm »
My admin account - name and password, i.e. locked screen can be overridden by mini ao, simply by her removing my username, typing in "administrator" and hitting return without a password...  Cheeky monkey ;)  I can't see how to set a password for 'administrator'.   It's XP 'media' edition BTW.

Andy
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: XP administrator password..?
« Reply #1 on: 12 July, 2008, 02:33:25 pm »
I've never used XP Media, mostly just XP Professional.  I'm guessing that you trying to set the password through Control Panel -> User Accounts, and there is no Administrator there.

If XP Media is the same as Professional (at least in these aspects), see if you can drill down from Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Local Users and Groups -> Users, and then right click on "Administrator".  You should have an option to "Set Password" then.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #2 on: 12 July, 2008, 03:02:23 pm »
Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete.

The bottom left button on that screen that comes up is "Change Password".
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #3 on: 12 July, 2008, 03:52:07 pm »
There are warnings of info/data being lost or irretrievable on password change - what files would this involve..?

« Reply #4 on: 12 July, 2008, 03:53:22 pm »
Normally only a problem if you've got encrypted files.  Most people don't use this, so it's probably not an issue.

« Reply #5 on: 12 July, 2008, 04:19:43 pm »
OK thanks - I think it works now.  Looks like although my username had administrator status, "administrator" itself did not have a password.  She'll have to try and come up with another hack now...  :)

« Reply #6 on: 12 July, 2008, 05:42:58 pm »
Well, as long as someone has physical access to a machine they can break in.  If I was trying to get in, I'd probably use a Linux Live-CD to boot up the machine, and then use that to tweak the registry, ie create another account with Administrator privileges, or add that privilege to an existing account.

If you want to limit the ability to do that, go into the BIOS and disable booting from the CD-ROM (or anything else which isn't the internal hard disc), and password protect access to the BIOS.  That will limit the ability to boot into another OS with a CD or USB Drive.

If you can lock the case in some fashion (even a Kensington lock) that would be a good idea, since with most machines you can pop the case open and reset the BIOS.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 12 July, 2008, 05:51:56 pm »
Well, as long as someone has physical access to a machine they can break in.

Quoted for truth.  There are many, many boot disks which will allow anyone to set the administrator password.  They don't take a big brain to use (they're standard technician kit, after all)...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #8 on: 12 July, 2008, 05:55:47 pm »
A fairly easy and quick one to use is Offline NT Password and Registry Editor, but I've also created and used Windows XP Live-CDs in the past as well.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 12 July, 2008, 06:10:37 pm »
A fairly easy and quick one to use is Offline NT Password and Registry Editor, but I've also created and used Windows XP Live-CDs in the past as well.
That's the one I use.  If someone has passworded the BIOS to prevent booting from a removable media drive, it's easy enough to fix that by temporarily removing the mobo battery, assuming you can't be bothered to google the manual and find out which jumper clears it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #10 on: 12 July, 2008, 07:42:14 pm »
If you really really want your data to be safe then use Linux with and encrypted files system. Something like ReiserFS will let you encrypt the whole filesystem and when the machine boots it asks for the passphrase, no passphrase no boot and it doesn't matter if you use a boot disk the disk drive will just look like so much random garbage. Beware though if you forget said passphrase you are truly lost as there is no back door at all.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.