Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3888525 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #23950 on: 19 September, 2020, 08:38:04 pm »
A post-prandial jaunt awheel, exploring the environs of Badminton. Strong wind but, unusually, from the east, which meant a headwind on the way out and "going well"(C)Rogerzilla on the way back. I'd wanted to test how my Garmin plays with my new bar bag. The test was inconclusive; the mount will probably have to be moved but I'll have to do a repeat test when I've actually got charged batteries in it.  :facepalm: Enjoyed the ride though, and loads of other cyclists out. Also good to see that most (not all, of course) drivers are keeping up the wide-passing habits they acquired in lockdown.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #23951 on: 20 September, 2020, 03:40:14 pm »
52 miles to Cirencester and back, the long way.  Some sort of sportive thing going on in the lanes S of Ciren.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23952 on: 20 September, 2020, 05:18:35 pm »
80 km, the first half pretty well flat out to catch my favourite patisserie before it closed. Sod's law or summat: I made it but I'd no sooner sat down with my coffee & tarte aux mirabelles that the wretched church across the street cut loose with its bells & I couldn't hear myself think. Off home again, strong headwind, suffered a bit.

Oh aye, as I was unlocking my bike again after coffee & tart a bunch of women outside the church were exchanging outraged comments, one of which was "I even prepared his discourse in Latin and he didn't use it".  That must be frustrating, right enough.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #23953 on: 20 September, 2020, 06:12:08 pm »
Out on the Trice again. First ride since doing brake fettling using a dial gauge whilst truing the wheel to make sure the hub brake's surface was round. That did work very well, all vibration under braking has gone, though there is now the occasional squeal.

It was under 10 miles as I went out whilst MrsH went for a run; this ride was more notable in a "carried this on my bike" way. I bodge-fitted one of the dog-carrying bags that I use on the motorbike onto the rear rack to see if he'd enjoy riding with me rather than being left at home. He did like it, so now I'll build a wider rack frame so his bigger bag will mount properly and he can start to come out with us.

« Reply #23954 on: 20 September, 2020, 07:07:59 pm »
73km today, mostly lanes but with a spot of tracks to mix things up. Out to the Long Man of Wilmington, who was looking very shiny. Then on to Exceat and over Seaford Head. I walked some here as it was busy and downhill. This let me both not be a dick and take photos. Then, to make up for a flat start, over High and Over and back through the lanes.

I had multiple passes on corners into oncoming traffic, and a couple of marginal overtakes by cars that I later caught up as they were getting in each others’ way. I also had a mistake in my route that tried to take me down a footpath. I spoke to a lady as I was turning round, who thought that Lewes was a long way to be going.

« Reply #23955 on: 20 September, 2020, 08:37:11 pm »
Slough, Windsor, bray ,maidenhead, Cookham,Marlow, fingest ,Stokenchurch, chr Christmas common,Turville and back via Marlow ,Cookham maidenhead and back to slough with bjorn notp  .a very pleasant ride.  Lots of cyclists about enjoying the nice weather 😎
the slower you go the more you see

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #23956 on: 20 September, 2020, 09:15:07 pm »
Out on Friday Night, riding, obvs. to the coast.

Four groups of six, two start points, two start times, various routes. We met up, inna socially distant stylee, at Pease Pottage services and then again at a Thee Pubbe in Brighton.

My grupetto comprised Me (duh), Shadow off of Cycle Cha, StuAff, Chris and Patrick.

A small group meant no getting split at traffic lights, so we made a good pace. Failed to set off the speed camera on the run into Cousdon, didn't get a chance to have a go at the Reigate one, as the southbound Reigate Hill was closed (and will be until December) so we sneaked down Wray Lane.  A brief history/architecture stop at The Beehive, Gatwick (channeling my inner Simon Legg) and another in Tilgate before we regrouped at Pease Pottage.  Off south via two very rude hills crossing the Ardingly Reservoir and back onto the normal route. Ditchlinged then got to 6065.5kmh-1 going past the golf course camera but no flash.

Breakfast at Weatherspoons in the Marina followed by talk and brown beer. Home by train.

Some pictures.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #23957 on: 20 September, 2020, 09:42:44 pm »
Out on Friday Night, riding, obvs. to the coast.

Four groups of six, two start points, two start times, various routes. We met up, inna socially distant stylee, at Pease Pottage services and then again at a Thee Pubbe in Brighton.

My grupetto comprised Me (duh), Shadow off of Cycle Cha, StuAff, Chris and Patrick.

A small group meant no getting split at traffic lights, so we made a good pace. Failed to set off the speed camera on the run into Cousdon, didn't get a chance to have a go at the Reigate one, as the southbound Reigate Hill was closed (and will be until December) so we sneaked down Wray Lane.  A brief history/architecture stop at The Beehive, Gatwick (channeling my inner Simon Legg) and another in Tilgate before we regrouped at Pease Pottage.  Off south via two very rude hills crossing the Ardingly Reservoir and back onto the normal route. Ditchlinged then got to 6065.5kmh-1 going past the golf course camera but no flash.

Breakfast at Weatherspoons in the Marina followed by talk and brown beer. Home by train.

Some pictures.
:thumbsup: Was a cracking night. Home, in my case, by bike (for 25 miles or so) and then train once I got a bit bored of my middling pace and decided I couldn't be bothered to ride all the way.

MOB

« Reply #23958 on: 21 September, 2020, 10:50:07 pm »
94km ride; Lewknor, Fingest, Stokenchurch, Chinnor, Princes R, lunch in Dinton, Haddenham. Some bridleways too.  Good weather.  Going down Chinnor Hill reminded me of barking dogs at 2am, on FNRttS.  ;)

Was surprised to see a number of what I suspect are 'fragmented', unofficial club runs out and about.  One group tight 2x3 formation, another group of ~7 overtook me in off side tyre track ish.  Cycling social distancing may just about be out the window now.   :-\

Lewknor to the top - east of Xmas common.
IMG_20200613_1 by a oxon, on Flickr

On way down to Fingest
IMG_20200613_2 by a oxon, on Flickr

I’ve ridden all around there when I used to live in Chinnor - great photos bringing back memories - Chinnor Hill and Watlington Hill road upto Christmas Common were my normal routes.

Watford isn’t quite the same...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #23959 on: 24 September, 2020, 12:56:28 pm »
About 28 miles - set off and got home in bright sunshine and a gentle breeze, but about 4 miles in the middle when I was in a very exposed area with ferocious wind, almost black sky, 2 or 3 minutes of hail and then 10 minutes of rain.

« Reply #23960 on: 24 September, 2020, 01:07:09 pm »
80 km, the first half pretty well flat out to catch my favourite patisserie before it closed. Sod's law or summat: I made it but I'd no sooner sat down with my coffee & tarte aux mirabelles that the wretched church across the street cut loose with its bells & I couldn't hear myself think. Off home again, strong headwind, suffered a bit.

Oh aye, as I was unlocking my bike again after coffee & tart a bunch of women outside the church were exchanging outraged comments, one of which was "I even prepared his discourse in Latin and he didn't use it".  That must be frustrating, right enough.

Missed this gem, T!  Have you read any of Barbara Pym's books?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #23961 on: 24 September, 2020, 04:23:00 pm »
10 real miles and then, after lunch, I set up a turbo trainer I bought on Ebay at the start of lockdown and did about 15 minutes on that. It's much easier than real cycling as my legs are used to trying to shift 19 stones of lard around and the turbo trainer struggles to replicate that.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

RobertW

• Robert
« Reply #23962 on: 24 September, 2020, 05:36:14 pm »
Out on the Trice again. First ride since doing brake fettling using a dial gauge whilst truing the wheel to make sure the hub brake's surface was round. That did work very well, all vibration under braking has gone, though there is now the occasional squeal.

It was under 10 miles as I went out whilst MrsH went for a run; this ride was more notable in a "carried this on my bike" way. I bodge-fitted one of the dog-carrying bags that I use on the motorbike onto the rear rack to see if he'd enjoy riding with me rather than being left at home. He did like it, so now I'll build a wider rack frame so his bigger bag will mount properly and he can start to come out with us.
Good to see you are able to ride now & having some fun on the Trice.

« Reply #23963 on: 25 September, 2020, 04:49:28 pm »
Yesterday did an hour's Zwift on the ride of ice and fire.  25km, 500m climbing. My aim was to keep my cadence up above 80 which I just managed with an average of 81, max 134.  My previous similar ride it was 67 when I climbed 780m over 24km.

Today I went into town with a strong gusty wind blowing.  It was so strong across the race course I struggled to keep the bike on the cycle path and was really blown off it at one point and just managed to get back on.  It's odd riding in a straight line with the bike leaning over as if rounding a bend..
Move Faster and Bake Things

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23964 on: 25 September, 2020, 05:57:38 pm »
I'm just back from two hours in that wind.  Even with a Streetmachine, it was extremely unpleasant.  Also, the trees were lobbing conkers at me.

« Reply #23965 on: 25 September, 2020, 06:30:53 pm »
Just to king Edwards hospital Windsor and back on the sun ez3 for a test. Definitely a bit breezy. It nearly blew my hat off  ::-)

« Reply #23966 on: 25 September, 2020, 08:50:43 pm »
Only to walk 30m to the shed to do an hour on the turbo. Way too windy.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #23967 on: 25 September, 2020, 10:02:20 pm »
Just 26km to get a couple of Robt Crais novels from a second hand bookshop and a good coconut milk latte from a favourite cafe.
It was windy and at one stage I was being used as a windbreaker by a colourful racing rat. I told him he was cheating because I have an electric motor. He was grateful for the tow  :)

Took my number one battery down to nothing and I think I got 122 miles from it between full charges. Seems unlikely for 15A; I'll keep a tighter check of the mileage for battery number two.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #23968 on: 27 September, 2020, 11:59:34 am »
Did the usual 32 mile cafe run yesterday.  4°C when I set off.  Got puncture a mile from home and CBA to fix it so walked.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #23969 on: 27 September, 2020, 06:55:55 pm »
Having not been out since the early hours of last Sunday due to various reasons of distraction, I went for a gentle spin today and for a crepe in the Forest.
I had a visit from the fairy at the end of a dirt track that leads down to the house...
And since I was in MTB shoes, I walked the bike the last 800m rather than fix it.

« Reply #23970 on: 27 September, 2020, 07:43:10 pm »
A overnight bivvy with bjorn notp on the ridgeway just west of Streetly. It was a bit windy last night and there was no stars to be seen due to cloud but I slept well. Bjorn said that the wind kept him awake. We had breakfast at at a cafe in Streetly this morning and pottered back via Mapledurham Mill Reading and Twyford  :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23971 on: 27 September, 2020, 09:03:56 pm »
Spent the morning dead for tax purposes, so dragged myself out for a quick 50k this afternoon while the sun was shining.  Narrowly escaped being eaten by a horse, and met a woman on an ICE QNT on one of the local lanes (doing a similar ride in the other direction), and stopped to chat for a while.  Got a bit cold.

« Reply #23972 on: 27 September, 2020, 10:34:43 pm »
Family ride today with me and Mrs B on the tandem and little Joe solo.

Rode from Haltwhistle to Aston on NCN 68 which turned out to be much hillier than I’d expected although we had an excellent stop at Lambley Viaduct.

I had a bit of a John Shuttleworth moment in an Alston café. Halfway through my cheese cake little Joe declared that he didn’t want his black pudding after all.  Having already eaten mine I knew it was an excellent black pudding but I couldn’t go back to savoury after my sweet.  I’m still quite sad about it.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #23973 on: 27 September, 2020, 11:52:38 pm »
Went out on the recently repaired and repainted trike today. Not a million miles from where I broke the frame near Denham Golf Course, I lost the unique nut that holds the cassette on the axle. Despite quite a bit of walking up and down trying to find the nut, no dice. Slowly head back along the route looking along the gutter for the nut. There are lots of things that are about the size and colour of a silver thumb-sized nut, mostly empty nitrous oxide canisters. By dint of soft-pedalling and not changing gears on the cassette, I managed to get home, so not a total loss. Now to get a replacement nut...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23974 on: 03 October, 2020, 05:51:36 pm »
Nothing worth reporting since last Saturday so here are two incidents from then. Entering the village of Elberton, I saw the road was wet for about the width of a house. It seemed to be flowing from the house on my right, so I diagnosed a burst pipe. But as I rode over it, I felt drops on my back. Someone was sprinkling their garden and it was going all over the road! Two thoughts: Why? This was last week but even then, the weather hadn't been exactly dry. And aren't there regulations against that? Not that I expect anyone to know, follow or enforce them if there are.

The second incident was, having made my way up one side of Titters Hill (I didn't make the name up) I was obviously looking forward to rolling down the other side. Round the first bend on to the short flat bit, then round the next bend and... halfway down there are two blokes and a small grey dog walking down the hill. They're on my right and there's enough room to pass them but not at speed, so I sit up. And the dog is on the left. So I give them a ping on my recently shined Lion bell, not especially expecting them to hear as they're chatting. But they do! They turn round, see me slowing down, give a friendly wave and one of them points at the dog. Which, of course, I've already seen. Dog staid put and I went round them all then regained a bit of speed. All good.  :D

(And then I got to the flat bit and then I turned round and went home and then I went up the hill again and when I got back to Elberton, the sprinkler was off.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.